TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The hunt for rattle
goskiracer Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:30 am

I have been chasing down a rattle in my syncro now for about a month. When I drive on bumpy roads (everywhere in Salt Lake :roll: ) there is a distinct rattle that comes from the back of the van. Originally we figured it was the rear hatch shimying and shaking, I pulled out the latch and it did have a bit of play so I put in a "new" one I pulled from the junkyard. Also put on a rear tire carrier so the hatch ain't moving no more. So I took off merrily down the bumpy pot hole ridden roads, and the rattle is still there. It's not anything in my rear seat storage space, this rattle is lower pitch than that of my tool box. I had a few friends riding in the back and they said it sounds like its coming from the ceiling? To clarify the noise sounds like a loose panel in the roof. I've got a 7 pass syncro, so it's not pop top noises. Any ideas?

shorepig Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 am

Hmmmm....maybe a loose air vent (black plastic louver on side). How about one of the attachment feet on your roof rack?

One thing I've learned about noises heard within the van is that the van can play tricks on you. You think you hear something happening in one spot, but its in a totally different spot. It drives me freak'n crazy sometimes!!!!

GOOD LUCK! :?

Rhinoculips Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:07 am

I had the same trouble once. Took forever to find. It was so simple in the end....the license plate was loose. :roll:

I would also check the tins around the engine compartment.

goskiracer Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks for the responses, I checked around a bit more and found it was part of the ski rack :oops: .

TheBlueTurtle Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:05 pm

loose cables or hoses behind the headliner... or engine compartment?

you said in another post your muffler is rusted out?..

it could be your muffler is loose in an area.

mine is.

makes noise.