TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My 64 beetle somewhat Cal look project Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
project bug Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am

A little background on me. :)

Hi guys, my name is Kevin.

This is my second ACVW but the first on this level. I owned a 74 super back in the early 90's which was all stock.

I've spent most of my life building domestic vehicles from frame off restos, to tube chassis 2000 plus horsepower vehicles. I have also worked in the industry with some of the leading performance companies in the field.

I had been looking for something pre 65 for the past few months and stumbled across what I thought was a great deal and pulled the trigger on a project.

The images were taking the day I looked at the car and put a deposit on it. I picked it up Sunday and it now sits in my garage waiting for the changes I plan...

So, on with the pics, and info.

Overall the car is very, very solid. NO holes anywhere, doors shut solid. Overall it is a great base for what I intend.

I do wish it had the horn grilles.

I don't mind the Centerlines for now but I think I might change to a speedmaster.

I don't care for the Stinger so that will change to a Mondo or a hideout if the hideout doesn't run into the wheelie bar brackets.

The biggest problem with the car is the guy didn't know too much about the motor. What I do know before I take it apart and figure everything out is.

2187 with CB heads
Dual webers
Lots of Bugpack stuff...
And it pulls really well through 3 gears. Too me it feels like it should dip into the 12's with a tire and some clutch adjustment.

I will probably get rid of a lot of the chrome stuff... Never been a fan.

Interior is really clean but I hate the seats.

During the winter I'll probably pull the motor for seals and to inspect it but for the summer I plan.

Disc conversions.
Lots of tuning and tweaking.
Changing the interior back to original style, probably red in color..

So, that's about it for now.
I'll update the thread as I go.

Thanks for reading. :)

Viande Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

project bug Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Viande wrote: Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

Thank you. I'm quite happy with it so far.

I was curious about what the shroud is from, or who made it if it's aftermarket.

Does the smaller size hinder cooling?

OTO X58 Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:47 pm

project bug wrote: Viande wrote: Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

I was curious about what the shroud is from, or who made it if it's aftermarket.

The tapered shape of the shroud makes you have to eliminate the stock oil cooler and run an external oil cooler only, typically above the transmission. If you go back to an original style fan shroud, you can run the stock oil cooler, while also using your aftermarket external oil cooler, which will cool the oil very well. The other problem with that fan shroud has to do with the internal vanes not being like stock (if it has them at all) and so the air is not directed properly over the heads and cylinders, especially on the #3/#4 side of teh engine.

On the plus side, that fan shroud allows you easy access to the carburetors. the stock fan shroud makes it harder to access the manifold bolts. And the only other benefit to that fan shroud is the symmetry, so your fan belt isn't sitting off to the side. Whether or not that is important varies from person to person, I guess.

I like the bug, and what you're saying as far as changes sounds really good. I'll be keeping an eye on this project! I bet if you made a template of teh horn grill shape, cut it out close, and sat down with a file for a while, you could get those holes put back in pretty well.

project bug Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:03 pm

RoachGhia wrote: project bug wrote: Viande wrote: Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

The tapered shape of the shroud makes you have to eliminate the stock oil cooler and run an external oil cooler only, typically above the transmission. If you go back to an original style fan shroud, you can run the stock oil cooler, while also using your aftermarket external oil cooler, which will cool the oil very well. The other problem with that fan shroud has to do with the internal vanes not being like stock (if it has them at all) and so the air is not directed properly over the heads and cylinders, especially on the #3/#4 side of teh engine.

On the plus side, that fan shroud allows you easy access to the carburetors. the stock fan shroud makes it harder to access the manifold bolts. And the only other benefit to that fan shroud is the symmetry, so your fan belt isn't sitting off to the side. Whether or not that is important varies from person to person, I guess.

I like the bug, and what you're saying as far as changes sounds really good. I'll be keeping an eye on this project! I bet if you made a template of teh horn grill shape, cut it out close, and sat down with a file for a while, you could get those holes put back in pretty well.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I'm starting to think the shroud was installed more for looks which doesn't make sense considering how strong the motor is. Then again, I've seen worse.

I may look into changing it if it's going to be a problem. It does have a small oil cooler but I don't like where it's mounted. I may change it to a larger style with a fan and move it from underneath the rear window. As far as oil temps right now I'm not sure. I need to trouble shoot the oil temp gauge. It doesn't work at all.

You and I share the same idea on the horn grilles. This weekend I'm going to get it up in the air and scope out the back side of the fender while I'm adjusting the brakes. I don't think the PO ever adjusted them, or the clutch.

OTO X58 Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 pm

project bug wrote: RoachGhia wrote: project bug wrote: Viande wrote: Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

I'm starting to think the shroud was installed more for looks which doesn't make sense considering how strong the motor is. Then again, I've seen worse.

I may look into changing it if it's going to be a problem. It does have a small oil cooler but I don't like where it's mounted. I may change it to a larger style with a fan and move it from underneath the rear window. As far as oil temps right now I'm not sure. I need to trouble shoot the oil temp gauge. It doesn't work at all.

You and I share the same idea on the horn grilles. This weekend I'm going to get it up in the air and scope out the back side of the fender while I'm adjusting the brakes. I don't think the PO ever adjusted them, or the clutch.

Cool, good to hear! post pics of the process if you end up cutting out horn holes.

About your oil cooler, if it is mounted on the firewall in front of the fan opening, you really should move it. sometimes people even mount them on the back of the fan shroud, over the fan shroud air inlet, which is very effective at warming up the air that is used to cool the engine, but not effective at cooling the engine. haha

I think your best bet is to mount it under the car, with an external fan on it. and if it is a small oil cooler, you really should get a large one. A few vendors (Kymco comes to mind) even sell a kit which has a cooler, fan, and thermostat to turn the fan on at a certain temperature.

project bug Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 pm

RoachGhia wrote: project bug wrote: RoachGhia wrote: project bug wrote: Viande wrote: Nice looking clean ride. Get rid of that fan shroud asap before you cook your engine to death. Good luck with it.

Cool, good to hear! post pics of the process if you end up cutting out horn holes.

About your oil cooler, if it is mounted on the firewall in front of the fan opening, you really should move it. sometimes people even mount them on the back of the fan shroud, over the fan shroud air inlet, which is very effective at warming up the air that is used to cool the engine, but not effective at cooling the engine. haha

I think your best bet is to mount it under the car, with an external fan on it. and if it is a small oil cooler, you really should get a large one. A few vendors (Kymco comes to mind) even sell a kit which has a cooler, fan, and thermostat to turn the fan on at a certain temperature.

Before I cut them I'll need to determine if any filler resides in the area. If they did it right by metal finishing it I don't think it will be a problem. I'll post some pics if I do it. I also plan to add some Euro bumpers. I think they look better.

As for the cooler, I've always used Permacool or Earls stuff in the past which will probably be similar to the Kymco.. Whatever the case it will get a larger cooler, with a fan, mounted under the car with a fabricated scoop to make sure it gets plenty of air flow. I'm all about keeping things cool.

sportyvw Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:08 pm

Hi Kevin,

Nice ride! Now that I see all the pics, that is my old VW. Looks the same as the day I sold it ten years ago minus the wheelie bars. Still has my German sticker on the windshield which means “Outstanding”. The guy who built it lived in Port Huron. He traded it to a guy in Waterford for some snowmobiles I believe. I then purchased it and drove it for a while until the kids got to big for the back seat, then sold it to a guy in Clarkston who I remember fixed a bent axle (from the previous owner in PH who loved doing wheelies so I was told). I saw it at the Woodward dream cruise one year and also at the Milan Bug Out (I loved that show).

The engine was a 2007 cc with a bus trans I believe. I never did care for the fan housing and external oil cooler. It ran hot because there is no sheet metal around the engine. When idling in traffic it sucks the hot air right into the engine. I will have to see what other info I have on it. Seems I have some old pics somewhere. I also had to crank up the adjustable front end a notch or two for a better ride and to clear the speed bumps. Where are you located? I hope to see you at a show this summer.

jmsmilin Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:15 pm

cool

MAYHEM Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Very nice ride 8)
Agree with the changes you plan. Red interior would look great.
The possibility of old photos of your bug, before you owned it, is very cool.
Enjoy it :D

Lair Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:21 pm

project bug wrote: I do wish it had the horn grilles.

I can send you a template of the hole if you want one. I have an early fender in the garage that's just lying around.

project bug Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:24 pm

sportyvw wrote: Hi Kevin,

Nice ride! Now that I see all the pics, that is my old VW. Looks the same as the day I sold it ten years ago minus the wheelie bars. Still has my German sticker on the windshield which means “Outstanding”. The guy who built it lived in Port Huron. He traded it to a guy in Waterford for some snowmobiles I believe. I then purchased it and drove it for a while until the kids got to big for the back seat, then sold it to a guy in Clarkston who I remember fixed a bent axle (from the previous owner in PH who loved doing wheelies so I was told). I saw it at the Woodward dream cruise one year and also at the Milan Bug Out (I loved that show).

The engine was a 2007 cc with a bus trans I believe. I never did care for the fan housing and external oil cooler. It ran hot because there is no sheet metal around the engine. When idling in traffic it sucks the hot air right into the engine. I will have to see what other info I have on it. Seems I have some old pics somewhere. I also had to crank up the adjustable front end a notch or two for a better ride and to clear the speed bumps. Where are you located? I hope to see you at a show this summer.

Ha, that's awesome.

Any old pics you have would be way cool.

The guy I bought it from does live in Clarkston. he said he has owned the car for 8 years....

Man, now you guys got me all nervous about heat issues which I should try to take care of before this summer. Kind of sucks since I was hoping to pull the motor this winter but I would rather avoid the problems.

As for shows... I plan to attend the even at Karmann Ghia in may complete with new interior, exhaust... And whatever else the budget allows. :)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

project bug Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Lair wrote: project bug wrote: I do wish it had the horn grilles.

I can send you a template of the hole if you want one. I have an early fender in the garage that's just lying around.

Oops. I didn't see this post.

I'll let you know on the template when I decide to do it. I may do it once I strip it down for repaint.

Thank you for the offer.

project bug Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:32 am

I put the car up in the air for the first time since I picked it up to snoop around and investigate my low brake pedal.

Was happy to find no leaks but did find a lining separated and floating around in the front drum...

Took my deck lid off to clean the engine. I may leave it off for a little bit. One of the hinges is a little messed up and I would like to remove the "Hotrod" script. I've never been a fan of stuff like that.

Tightened my loose shifter base which seems to have vibrated loose.

Ordered brake parts, and a new exhaust system to get rid of the pesky stinger... Bugpack 1"-5/8" merged header and hideout muffler, coated.

I'm also thinking about living with the seats for a bit and doing new wheels next. That way I can mess with the suspension a bit.

rusty57 Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:44 am

With all the potential heating issues, I'm surprised it's lasted this long with no issues. Maybe it's not that urgent, but you should consider improving it as time and $$$$ allows. nice car.

project bug Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:55 am

rusty57 wrote: With all the potential heating issues, I'm surprised it's lasted this long with no issues. Maybe it's not that urgent, but you should consider improving it as time and $$$$ allows. nice car.

Thanks. :)

I am researching and rounding up cooling stuff right now and plan to fix it before summer. I didn't want to pull the motor so soon to replace the tins and dog house but I would rather protect than waste it.

Jerry Hundley Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

Looks like you have a great start to a project. I really like it.

project bug Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

Jerry Hundley wrote: Looks like you have a great start to a project. I really like it.

Thank you.

Hey guys.

Right now I'm reading a bunch of searches on the cooling system but wonder if anyone could shed some light on the most effective fixes for this car. All the differing opinions are causing a little confusion.

As of now these are my thoughts.

Larger oil cooler with fan mounted under the vehicle with ducting.

This should be fine without a stock cooler?

Replacing my shroud with a dog house.

Shouldn't this require a different generator stand considering mine is centered? If so what model year?

I would look into a DTM but I think it's a to expensive considering what you can do with stock type parts.

Replacing tins.

I would assume I should run the vents at the bottom of the dog house plus upper and lower cylinder tims?

If I'm not mistaken I can't run the front engine tin due to header clearance?

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for any help pointing me in the right direction. This is exactly one of the things I hate about buying a built car. You always have to figure out what was used and what needs changing.

In exchange, if anyone needs to know how to build over a 1000 hp on a LS based motor I'll be glad to help. lol

OTO X58 Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:48 pm

project bug wrote:

Larger oil cooler with fan mounted under the vehicle with ducting.

This should be fine without a stock cooler?

In my opinion, more cooling is better. I always have run an external oil cooler in addition to the stock oil cooler. I've heard some people talk about it being a good thing to get the stock oil cooler out of the fan shroud, to prevent the #3/4 side from getting hot air blown over the cylinders, but I dunno about that.
project bug wrote:

Replacing my shroud with a dog house.

Shouldn't this require a different generator stand considering mine is centered? If so what model year?

Yeah, you will need a stock generator stand. There are two types of stands for a 1600 case. A generator stand or an alternator stand. If you have a generator (looks like you do from the pictures) all you need is a stock generator stand. and that should be fairly cheap.
project bug wrote:
I would look into a DTM but I think it's a to expensive considering what you can do with stock type parts.

I wouldn't waste my money on a DTM setup. You can cool an engine very adequately with the stock fan shroud, for a lot less money, like you said. Plus, DTMs are ugly as hell. I'm sure there are several people who disagree.

project bug wrote:
Replacing tins.

I would assume I should run the vents at the bottom of the dog house plus upper and lower cylinder tims?

I don't get what you mean here. Generally speaking, your engine tin should seal up the engine compartment from the air underneath the car. the purpose of it is to keep all air that is heated up by the exhaust from coming up into the fan shroud. You should not vent any of the engine tins. If anything, you could add a convertible *decklid (or add 'vert vents to your existing *decklid) or use decklid stand-offs to prop it up and get more air.

project bug wrote:
If I'm not mistaken I can't run the front engine tin due to header clearance?

You can and SHOULD run the front and rear engine tins. The breast plate will fit with any merged race style header , or any street collector-style header without any problems. that's an extremely important piece of tin, because without it, all the air heated by the exhaust is being forced directly up into the engine compartment. Get a breast plate on that engine ASAP.

project bug wrote:

Am I missing anything?

Thank you for any help pointing me in the right direction. This is exactly one of the things I hate about buying a built car. You always have to figure out what was used and what needs changing.

In exchange, if anyone needs to know how to build over a 1000 hp on a LS based motor I'll be glad to help. lol

good luck with it man!

*edit: I had typed "fan shroud" when I meant "decklid".

project bug Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks so much Roach.

I mis spoke about the vents. I was reading something else.

Looks like the motor will come out this weekend after all.