TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Has anyone tried this AWNING?
JeffRobenolt Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 am

In my search for an awning I came across this one.

http://www.campinglab.com/awning.html#

I have not seen it on the Samba before, has anyone seen it in person??

Jeff

riceye Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:05 am

That looks to be a sweet awning, and at $225 - $250, the price is not at all bad. The use of aluminum and the polyester fabric reflects a nice level of quality.

A cool mod would be to alter the poles so that they would tuck into the jackpoints to clean up the deployment. Should be good in calm conditions, but would probably still need guy lines in windy situations.

Good find!

danfromsyr Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 am

ANY Sail needs stays in moderate to increasing winds..

What is the differnace between a kite and an awning.. the quality of the rope? :oops:

Just saying that ANYTHING looks like a sail to wind power, so if there's wind you have to Stay it with Stakes & guy lines..

Kind of agreeing with ya Riceye.. :wink:

riceye wrote: That looks to be a sweet awning, Should be good in calm conditions, but would probably still need guy lines in windy situations.
Good find!

It's jut that I've seen too many folks with somethignout there stretched out and suprised when the wind takes it away.. if ya don't tie it down it belongs to the wind not your VW..

riceye Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 am

danfromsyr wrote: ANY Sail needs stays in moderate to increasing winds..

What is the differnace between a kite and an awning.. the quality of the rope? :oops:

?

PDXWesty Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 am

It looks really nice, but $250 seems like a lot to pay for roughly 6'x7' of coverage. It also looks like it rolls up into a bag like the pop up trailer awnings. The awning looks seperate from the structure and attaches after the frame is set up. The structure looks really solid though.