TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '84 Vanagon Engine Toast - Advice Needed
noundamus Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:25 pm

I have an '84 watercooled Vanagon with a stock 1.9 engine that until my last trip was running fine. Unfortunately, what was a minor coolant leak developed into a major leak on a long road trip and I didn't notice until the engine started making noise. End result? A completely burned out engine.

So here's my question, Vanagon experts: if you were in my situation what would you do? Here are the options I'm considering:

* Take the handful of useful parts from the interior and junk it. This would be the easiest option but my least favorite because it seems such a waste. The rest of the van wasn't in perfect shape, but it was free of rust and mildew with a clean and intact interior. On the other hand, this means no more potentially throwing good money after bad.

* Purchase a rebuilt engine from GoWesty and have it installed in my Vanagon. On the plus side, I could get a larger and stronger engine with better parts installed for about $5K. On the down side, that's five freaking K. Plus, I don't know anything about the quality of their rebuild engines. Would they last a year? Five? Prone to problems anyway? Also, even if I do go this route I still have to deal with the coolant leak that caused my engine to die in the first place.

* Go gangbusters and convert the van into a Vanaru. I've read the specs and seen the videos and it sure looks like fun, but that would easily run me close to $9K.

I've only spent $3K on my Vanagon to date and half of that was for buying it in the first place so I'm not in too deep yet. I'm willing to spend the money if that truly prevents any future problems, but I have to wonder if I'm better off spending the money on a different vehicle altogether.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Vanagon Nut Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 pm

If it's rust free, the body is relatively dent free, and there isn't a combination of upcoming maintenance things that would cost dearly (tranny/suspension etc) then IMO, if you enjoy it and want a Westy in your life, then it's worth spending the dough on it. If you're into owning one, then you're going to be "into" it money wise. They all require some degree of work/money.

If you part it out, or sell it as parts, proceeds combined with cost a new engine might get you a better ride, but maybe not. (when compared to your current ride with a replaced engine) Plus, it's your time doing that and dealing with the transactions. If you've worked some of the bugs out and already put some money into maintaining your current Westy, why not continue on that path?

IMO, having a Westy with any kind of known work history, and knowledge of how many miles are on a given part(s) is really useful to establish peace of mind while on the road.

I assume from your figures that you would have the engine replaced by a mechanic. If so, consider this. Budget things out to cover repair to cooling system, and replacing the engine by swapping in a 2.1 WBX. From what I've read, it's pretty well documented and totally possible. Risky yes, but if you get the engine from a trusted source, then not risky.

Also, have a look at tencents engines.

Have you checked out the Bostig swap (Zetec)?

swingDB0 Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:13 pm

well noundamus..personally i would not let the spirit of the van die
but its your decision..

if you decide to junk it..
i am in need of a title..
i bought an 81 westy and she comes from canada i have no title and dont even know of the original owner..all i have are bills of sale..its a lengthy process to register and import a vehicle..if you decide to junk it..i could have use for the title and i could even get that van off your hands..i might know someone who would be willing to buy it..

90Doka_Guy Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm

How about 3.8K and go with a tencent engine? Thats the route i would take. Id say definitely don't junk it, but then again i am a little biased. (OK, a LOT biased)

Just out of curiosity, but where did you spring the coolant leak? Just so I (and others) can keep an extra eye out for it on our vans.

ftp2leta Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:23 pm

What about a good used engine?

Ben

noundamus Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Vanagon Nut, the suspension and transmission are fine. Well, I know the transmission is fine, anyway. But I don't see any leaning or hear any body noises while driving to make me suspect the suspension has any issues. And you're right, the fact that I already know THIS vehicle's idiosyncrasies is a major reason not to start over with a new Vanagon.

I haven't checked out the Bostig swap until you mentioned it, but it looks like that just replaces some of the engine pieces? What are the advantages of this?

Thanks, swingD80. I do have a legal title. I'll keep you in mind should I decide to junk it.

Keane, looks like the cost of a tencent engine is about the same as what GoWesty charges (I am not savvy enough to install my own). What are the advantages?

As for the coolant leak, well, there's the question. I knew of a small leak underneath the van but it would literally take two weeks to drain the coolant so fixing that pipe wasn't a top priority. The radiator is now completely cracked thanks to the engine overheating but that was unlikely to be the cause. I'm holding off on a full diagnostic until I decide if I'm going to replace the engine or not, but I'm guessing some old plastic piece near the engine cracked during the hellish winter we just went through. It's frustrating because a pool of liquid on the ground would have been an immediate alert to me to deal with the problem and not attempt a trip.

240Gordy Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 pm

noundamus wrote:
I haven't checked out the Bostig swap until you mentioned it, but it looks like that just replaces some of the engine pieces? What are the advantages of this?

it replaces the engine and pretty much everything in the engine bay. new wiring, new computer, new cooling stuff.

very tempting. watch the instructional videos on thier site. I am not big on the "swagger" but it is a pretty nice product. the prospect of all new electronics and auxiliary devices is very attractive.

ftp2leta Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Quote: looks like the cost of a tencent engine is about the same as what GoWesty charges (I am not savvy enough to install my own). What are the advantages

GW is a big company and Tenc is a one men show... it's nice to encourage the smaller one :-)

But the real reason is that Tenc is willing to freely share his knowledge, and believe me he does! Even if his getting nothing $$$ out of it. I have read a lot of Tenc post and just by reading i could vouch for him! Yeap, he is not full of it... he he he

Don't get me wrong, GW is a great company, and we need them.

Same goes for another Guru that could use YOUR money and a bit more job lately, Daryl from AA Transaxle. We don't want to loose guys like that.

Cheers, Ben

Vanagon Nut Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 pm

noundamus wrote: Thanks for the replies, folks.

Vanagon Nut, the suspension and transmission are fine. Well, I know the transmission is fine, anyway. But I don't see any leaning or hear any body noises while driving to make me suspect the suspension has any issues. And you're right, the fact that I already know THIS vehicle's idiosyncrasies is a major reason not to start over with a new Vanagon.

That's a good start. Hopefully the other systems are in good shape too.

As has been said, the Bostig swap is the whole thing. A "turnkey" engine conversion. But.... it's a DIY kit:

http://www.bostig.com/products/bostig-20/how-do-i-get-one

Having said as much, considering all the information available from their website, user group, and their great rep as all round helpful guys, a competent mechanic with Vanagon experience should be able to swap it in.

Another angle.

If you go with a used engine, you never know. You might find a '85 or older Westy/Vanagon with a good engine that someone is selling for parts really cheap due to a hinky tranny, uber rusty, nasty smell, dog chewed interior, whatever. And if you're really lucky, it'll still be driveable. Then you can drive it to check it out, buy it, drive it home, canabalize the hell out of it, have spare parts, learn a little more (if'n you are a newb to wrenching), find a helpful mobile mechanic to swap in the engine. Now you have spare parts and a "new" engine that you heard running and (presumabley) did a compression/leakdown test on. And if you're really really lucky, the long steel pipes might be salvagable (unlikely though) But hey. You never know. The '85 I bought for cooling system parts had decent pipes with *minor* pitting. 2 coats of POR15 and top coat with Tremclad, and they were good to go and should last a while.

noundamus Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:47 pm

Well, when it came down to it, there was only one sensible decision to be made. That's right, I bought another Vanagon. :) I managed to find a '84 Vanagon with a solid engine, transmission, suspension AND cooling system for $1,500. It was a no brainer; I bought it on the spot.

So anyone want a brown Vanagon hulk with a decent transmission, new catalytic converter, good interior parts and a legal title for around $500? :)

Zero419 Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:40 pm

If I didn't live on the east coast I'd jump on that in a heart beat.

Looks like I will be calling daryl in the near future for a trans and final drive.

I want my van to be tip top when I am done with it.

+1 on the 10cent motor. If I didn't have the cohonise to do it myself, I would have bought from him (still might if my build goes south).

Edit: just checked daryl's web site, doesn't look like he does auto's

singler3360 Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:18 pm

noundamus wrote: Well, when it came down to it, there was only one sensible decision to be made. That's right, I bought another Vanagon. :) I managed to find a '84 Vanagon with a solid engine, transmission, suspension AND cooling system for $1,500. It was a no brainer; I bought it on the spot.

So anyone want a brown Vanagon hulk with a decent transmission, new catalytic converter, good interior parts and a legal title for around $500? :)

Glad you found a replacement. Is the fridge in good shape, works in all three modes (propane, 110 and 12V)? Also, the water tank and level indicator? I am trying to find some parts for mine and might be willing to buy yours if you are willing to 'part out' your van. But before you committ, you should get some opinions on whether this is a good idea or not, as you might get more for your 'hulk' intact, I dunno. Please let me know what you decide. I'm in Corvallis and could drive up. Congrats on the new ride.