TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sudden power loss
Mattyfatz Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I was driving home late last thursday when after about 15 minutes my Vanagon GL suddenley lost power and stalled out. She did this about 5 times and after several restarts I nursed her to a 24 Taco Joint... After an-healthy post midnight snack, I started her back up and returned home without incident. She has been running fine the last few days.
Now I do live in the desert and it was raining thursday night. Not much precip, kind of a light wintery mix. I cant remeber the last time I drover her in the rain though. I'm inclined to think something in the ignition got wet, but who knows with a VW.
The wiring harness was completely replaced last fall, the rebuilt 2.1L has about 700miles on it. Couple of other weird electrical stuff but it all has to do with the interior...(interior lights dont work, clock, electric lock, AC, all inop)
:?: :idea: please let me know your thoughts :?: :idea:
thanks, Matty

Mattyfatz Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:54 am

No Ideas ......
.................anyone

insyncro Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:56 am

A digitool will debug the engine electronics in a mater of minutes.
Buy or rent one from Van Cafe.
No guesswork.

funagon Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:23 am

Search the vanagon forum for "TPS" or "throttle position switch" adjustment, for "oxygen sensor," "OXS," or "O2 sensor," and for "grounds" or "clean grounds." I betcha it's one of these, with my money on a bad OXS. One other possibility is a cracked distributor cap that lets some moisture in when it rains. That will mess up your engine performance, or make it stall out.

MtnVan Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 am

Just had the exact same issue with my 87 2.1 weekender auto. The short list mentioned above seems like a good place to start. I've only done the TPS adjustment so far. Since it was wet conditions that our vans started doing this little boogie woogie, I'm hoping it is just tinkering w grounds or distributor. But, while I'm a pretty good wrench, I'm slightly newish on the Vanagons. Ah well:-)I told my wife when we purchased "Frodo" that we were going down the rabbit hole together, lol!

jimimeg Tue May 20, 2014 12:14 pm

What did you guys find to be the problem?