TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how do I get the armrest out when the pin is already out
Dennis Perusse Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello,

Okay I have done a search and haven't found what I was looking for. I have an 81 Air-Cooled Vanagon and I replaced the original front seats with seats from a Wolfsburg Edition ones. The problem that I have is with one of the armrests.
It won't come off! :( I know that their is a pin that holds the arm rest to the part that is screwed on to the seat. I got the pin out but the armrest will not come off as it is stated that it should do in these archives and with a search on Google. The other problem is that I have one of those screws still in but loose and the other one is gone somewhere as I can't find it. I have tried pulling on the armrest, sprayed enough PB Blast that even makes me concerned when I get around to having to clean it. Does any one else know of a way to get the thing off short of taking a hacksaw to it?

Also can anyone tell me what type of end that those screws are supposed to have (i.e. hex, torx, slot, phillips, etc)? Any help here would be wonderful.

Thanks in Advance;

Dennis

crazyvwvanman Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Once the split pin is out it is just a matter of getting the arm to slide off. It can be a struggle, mostly because putting the pin in and then taking it out slightly deforms the hole so it won't slide easily. Be prepared to pry it off.

The original screws are Allen head counter sunk. Phillips will do as a replacement but medium Locktite might be a good idea.

Mark

Dennis Perusse wrote: Hello,

Okay I have done a search and haven't found what I was looking for. I have an 81 Air-Cooled Vanagon and I replaced the original front seats with seats from a Wolfsburg Edition ones. The problem that I have is with one of the armrests.
It won't come off! :( I know that their is a pin that holds the arm rest to the part that is screwed on to the seat. I got the pin out but the armrest will not come off as it is stated that it should do in these archives and with a search on Google. The other problem is that I have one of those screws still in but loose and the other one is gone somewhere as I can't find it. I have tried pulling on the armrest, sprayed enough PB Blast that even makes me concerned when I get around to having to clean it. Does any one else know of a way to get the thing off short of taking a hacksaw to it?

Also can anyone tell me what type of end that those screws are supposed to have (i.e. hex, torx, slot, phillips, etc)? Any help here would be wonderful.

Thanks in Advance;

Dennis

Steelhead Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 pm

wiggle and pull.

pithylittlegeek Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

mine took about 5 minutes of wiggling and pulling -- felt like they would never come off, but eventually they did...

Wait 'til you try to get the pin back in, then the real fun begins....

davideric9 Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 pm

I was able to find the "exact" screw at a good ACE hardware in their Metric Connectors Island. Actually I think the ones they carried were harder than the VW. Last time I did buy these at the VW dealer they sold me Philips head.

Dennis Perusse Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey all,

Thank you for all the advice and help. I finally did get it off today but with a rather unusual tool, a pry bar. The original screw broke off and the the armrest with the part that it held it was still on. I then took it to my bench mounted vise and then used it to pry it off of the armrest. Now all I have to do is get two new screws for it, re-lube it and put it back on and then drive the pin back in. Not much damage involved and I have a perfect seat for long trips. :-)

dennis