TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine rebuilding fun!
scothenderson Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Well I posted a while back about my vanagon. Got it free, had a few minor problems.
It ends up that after driving it a bit, maybe 500 miles it started leaking fulminated oil. Naturally I stopped driving it, I just got the engine out and torn down for a rebuild.
This is what I now know. The oil and water were mixing outside of the engine, don't know how but all was clean in the engine. It had a problem at the end where it would loose oil pressure and "flutter" like it was about to stall, but didn't. That was the main bearing spinning. The main bearing broke in half and spun some. Well enough to ruin the case.
Fortunately everything else is fine. After 250K miles, the crank, cam, pistons, jugs are all in tolerance. The cam bearings wore out, but that is the extent of the wear. The heads are in really good shape. There is work to be done, but I am amazed at how good it all looks.
So as it stands right now. I am getting a used case for $200. Then I will do a basic rebuild. Something like rings, gaskets, bearings, push rod tubes, rubber hoses and wires.
My biggest question I have for you all, is what is really needed to be done. I mean, I have read many posts on rebuilds, but they all seem to be major upgrades. I am not interested in making a 1.9 into a 2.3, so what do I really need?
If have read about the need for rods. How would one determining a worn rod? I mean other than checking tolerances, which mine are within?
Thanks for all the great advice(meaning all the previous post on the message board)
Scot

deprivation Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Go at it Scott - I'm in the middle of my first rebuild ever. Way f*cking harder than I thought but way fun.