TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what's the best engine size for a daily driver with 150HP Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
shogundan Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

Hi All,
I've been a long time lurker and I finally decided to post. I am thinking about upgrading my engine in my 73 beetle standard to something with more kick. I ideally would like to go with something that will be a reliable daily driver. I also would like the motor to be a non-turbo that puts out around 150HP. Any suggestions

Gary Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 am

shogundan wrote: Hi All,
I've been a long time lurker and I finally decided to post. I am think about upgrading my engine in my 73 beetle standard to something with more kick. I ideally would like to go with something reliable, non-turbo that puts out around 150HP. Any suggestions

Suggestions? Sure, 150hp is overkill and you're going to tear up your transmission as well as brakes unless you plan on upgrading both. Worst case scenario, 1776 will be plenty for an upgrade.

ALB Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am

shogundan wrote: Hi All,
I've been a long time lurker and I finally decided to post. I am think about upgrading my engine in my 73 beetle standard to something with more kick. I ideally would like to go with something reliable, non-turbo that puts out around 150HP. Any suggestions

To answer your question- something 2 liter or larger (82 stroke x 90.5 or thick wall 92's would give 2110 cc's and 2180cc's respectively), Engle W120 or W125 cam, 1.25 rockers if you wanted to push it, or FK8 and 1.4 rockers, some well ported 40x35 heads, dual 44 IDF's or 45 Dellorto's, and a 1 5/8 merged header should get you where you want to go.

And although Icy didn't answer your question and sounds like your mom, he's right; you'll need to upgrade brakes and sooner or later a trans rebuild will be in the works.
Just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al

sactojesse Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am

A 2110 (90.5 x 82) w/ an Engle W120 cam, ported and polished heads w/ 40 x 35.5 valves and dual valve springs, and a pair of Weber 44 IDFs or Dellorto 40 DRLAs will probably put you at around 140 crank hp. You'll likely want to upgrade your trans, brakes, and suspension too, as you'll have a pretty mean power to weight ratio.

volken65 Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am

buy this...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=348928

and do what the others said above and should be pretty close to your criteria... then again what's your definition of reliable and daily driver.

*** oh, and get ready to spend at least 7k on that engine.

DarthWeber Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:25 am

Going out on a limb here with something COMPLETELY different, 90.5 x 78.4 DPR crank, H beam rods 5.4", 40 x 35.5 P&P w/dual springs, Weber 44IDFs, 1 1/2" exhaust....................and a Web 86b!! So there!! :D

Stripped66 Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:24 am

Icy wrote: shogundan wrote: Hi All,

Suggestions? Sure, 150hp is overkill and you're going to tear up your transmission as well as brakes unless you plan on upgrading both. Worst case scenario, 1776 will be plenty for an upgrade.

:lol: Truer words have never been spoken from somebody who's never driven a large-displacement VW. :lol:

150hp is easily achievable from a 2110-2332cc engine with mild, ported and polished heads (DRD L5-L6, Tims Stage 1 or 2), moderate cam (Engle 120) and dual 44 Webers or Dellortos. With the right components and attention to detail during the build, you can definitely put together a reliable and cool-running engine...yes, one that's driven every day!

The only problem with 150hp is that you'll soon want more. :twisted:

joescoolcustoms Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 am

Quote: The only problem with 150hp is that you'll soon want more.

Thats why NOS (Nasty Ole Shit) makes nitrous kits everyday.

hondajunkie01 Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 pm

http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=1&thread=6

its way cheaper and it will be a good daily driver....any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all....check out that website it has some good info on vw swaps

Stripped66 Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:39 pm

hondajunkie01 wrote: any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all

Please refrain from spreading your ignorance to this forum :roll:

DarthWeber Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Stripped66 wrote: hondajunkie01 wrote: any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all

:lol: :lol: :lol:

joescoolcustoms Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Stripped66 wrote: hondajunkie01 wrote: any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all

X2 or maybe X3?

1badghia Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:03 pm

hondajunkie01 wrote: http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=1&thread=6

its way cheaper and it will be a good daily driver....any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all....check out that website it has some good info on vw swaps
seriously,does it hurt :oops: ? your prolly just pissy because what would be considered a mild buildup to most of us would walk all over your big bad V-Tech and it would eat you up to know that a ACVW made you lil' v-techs 4500rpm kik seem like a waist of gas.... :lol:

DarthWeber Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:22 pm

OOOOHH!! :shock:

Hotrodvw Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 pm

The truth of the matter is you can get 150hp out of a lot of different displacement motors. The difference is how long it will last, where the power is at, and how driveable it is. I say build a Large displacement, but mild combo. Now if you want to turn up the wick, then make it not so mild. :wink:

miniman82 Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:13 pm

hondajunkie01 wrote: ....any vw motor that u build to that hp will not be a daily driver at all....

Your HonDUH should have a little chat with my 1915 turbo. :twisted: I drive it everyday, and yes it makes Honduh's look like go carts.

tcgmark Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:17 pm

1badghia wrote: hondajunkie01 wrote: http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=1&thread=6

seriously,does it hurt :oops: ? your prolly just pissy because what would be considered a mild buildup to most of us would walk all over your big bad V-Tech and it would eat you up to know that a ACVW made you lil' v-techs 4500rpm kik seem like a waist of gas.... :lol:

I run a 2332 in my std '73. It has tons of power. Don't really know if it hits the 150 hp mark or not. I have been using it as a daily driver lately due to my Honda having a bashed in front end. I must have put 7 grand into that jap engine and my bug will walk all over it. Plus, hello!! Air Cooled!! You would really be surprised how much more power you feel in a bug with a lesser hp motor than most other cars on the street.

jbreddawg Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm

To the OP , build the biggest you can afford, it can always be tuned to be a daily driver .

To the boyracer lemming , what is it in the honda childrens brains that make them think there actually fast ?
Now, I know there are some world class honda's out there but when I was running around in my WRX, every punk in a honda wanted to try me :shock:
In the year and a half of Subaru ownership I NEVER met a honda I didnt absolutely embarrass the hell out of !
So, what makes them "think" there fast ? Is it the fart mufflers ?

Andrew Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 pm

hondajunkie01 wrote: http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=1&thread=6

As a serious reply to this... Yes, a rotary swap will get the OP 150hp, but then they have to deal with cutting up the car so the motor will fit and to mount a cooling system, and I HIGHLY doubt that they wanted to even consider that. Most people don't.

I'm not so sure about way cheaper either. If you're going to put a used motor in either way, then which is cheaper? Buying a used rotary and then all the parts to do the swap or buying a used stroker aircooled motor? To really be on equal footing with being cheaper, you'd have to do the swap and rebuild the rotary engine at the same time, so that the OP is starting out with a newly built engine rather than one that already has 100k miles on it.

Splitdog Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Quote:

To the boyracer lemming , what is it in the honda childrens brains that make them think there actually fast ?

Tainted seed? :lol: