TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oval Vert Restore - The Volks Shop Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
a-train Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am

Trying to get this Vert done early this year in time for some shows......

Here's a few shots over the last couple months...... Our buddy Juan is on body work and paint........me, mixedup59, and tony3 trying to make the rest happen.

Car as it sat in March after telling Juan it's on.

Plenty of rust discovered

Dash Repaired, only to get cut up again :wink:

New Pan halves

Time to work

OK, here is some of the front.

A little more rust here and there

OG Decklid needing a little love

April 19

Skim Tue May 05, 2009 6:58 am

Tear that shit up homeboy! 8)

Not Safari Izzy Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 am

Nice job so far...keep the pics coming! Whats the original color?

Gary Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 am

You mean, as rusted as that thing is you aren't going to claims it's "too far gone"? :roll:

Seriously, that looks like an interesting project and makes the "too rusty" crowd look like fools. Please document your progress with lots of photos, because I want to be able to use this as a reference for future naysayers of "too rusty to save".

Yustrn Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 am

Makes mine look like a walk in the park! Keep it up that first drive will make it all worth while.

Are you guys just drilling out the spot welds or do you have a spot weld remover? Just asking as my spot weld remover is kinda big for VW and trying to source something smaller.

a-train Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks guys.....

Shoot skim....ain't shit compared to some of the shit I've seen you tackle...

Not Safari Izzy wrote: Nice job so far...keep the pics coming! Whats the original color?

Thanks Izzy, Originally L232 Iris Blue Metallic

Yustrn wrote: Are you guys just drilling out the spot welds or do you have a spot weld remover? Just asking as my spot weld remover is kinda big for VW and trying to source something smaller.

Drilling the spotwelds.....tedious hell. Juan has got some serious skills with VW metal. He's making most every replacement piece look like original.

I'll try to keep the pics coming.

bally Tue May 05, 2009 9:08 am

Fantastic work guys - it's inspiring me to get mine sorted :)

Dave

a-train Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 am

Pan....powdercoated a metallic silver.....prior to going back to be painted. Got to have that protective undercoating.

[/img]

a-train Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 am

and meanwhile, back at the bat cave.....

1st Batch of chrome to get me home..... Trying to step up my game....keep shit movin'...

A couple trinkets here and there....

Hopefully the last couple batches are done by the end of the week. We'll see.

Bart Dunn Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am

Terrific! =D> I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together? This way is certainly more daring.

Gary Tue May 05, 2009 11:11 am

Bart Dunn wrote: Terrific! =D> I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together? This way is certainly more daring. One weld at a time :lol:

Bart Dunn Tue May 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Icy wrote: Bart Dunn wrote: Terrific! =D> I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

How do you put it all back together? This way is certainly more daring. One weld at a time :lol:

Ba-dum bum (sound of snare drum). But seriously, how? I like this way. It has style. Panache. I might imagine you use the pan as something of a jig, bolt on the heater channels, and then set the front and back halves on top of the heater channels, hang the doors and move the halves back and forth until the door gaps look good, and then weld up the heater channels. That about how this goes?

Way cool.

a-train Tue May 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Bart Dunn wrote: Icy wrote: Bart Dunn wrote: Terrific! =D> I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

Ba-dum bum (sound of snare drum). But seriously, how? I like this way. It has style. Panache. I might imagine you use the pan as something of a jig, bolt on the heater channels, and then set the front and back halves on top of the heater channels, hang the doors and move the halves back and forth until the door gaps look good, and then weld up the heater channels. That about how this goes?

Way cool.

You got it Bart, that pretty much sums it up (Icy is right on too...one weld at a time). Put it back on the pan and make sure all the holes line up and all gaps are correct and start tacking and measuring. it is now tacked together and has threaded rods in place of the doors to support the body and keep it from flexing. I haven't been over to Juan's in a few days, so I don't have the latest pics. Will post progress when I get them.

Yustrn Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm

If you guys need any sheet metal let me know, my fabricator is always parting out cars and normally has some nice Rust Free California metal laying around at reasonable prices.

mixedup59 Tue May 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Vert is coming along nicely A-train. Love that chrome shot (whatcha got for me red?) :wink:

Beam is done, and off to body and paint.

Gary Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm

a-train wrote: Bart Dunn wrote: Icy wrote: Bart Dunn wrote: Terrific! =D> I've seen this method of "cut that bitch in half" with convertibles before, and then hear the conservative school talking about bracing everything within an inch of its life so that the body doesn't move or shift relative to itself.

Way cool.

You got it Bart, that pretty much sums it up (Icy is right on too...one weld at a time). Put it back on the pan and make sure all the holes line up and all gaps are correct and start tacking and measuring. it is now tacked together and has threaded rods in place of the doors to support the body and keep it from flexing. I haven't been over to Juan's in a few days, so I don't have the latest pics. Will post progress when I get them.

Guys in the Ghia forum get too whacky when it comes to pulling a body. They're too anal about reinforcement, bracing, and all that.

a-train Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 pm

mixedup59 wrote: Vert is coming along nicely A-train. Love that chrome shot (whatcha got for me red?) :wink:

Beam is done, and off to body and paint.

Beam is lookin' sweet tone......I'll get to check it out in person tomorrow when I swing by Juan's. mmmm, roller bearings, nice work.

volkation Tue May 05, 2009 6:40 pm

enjoy the ride folks ... :shock: tvs

mixedup59 Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 am

what's up trin? You back yet? I heard from Sterns about your trip.
Gimme the scoop :wink:

a-train Wed May 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Yustrn wrote: If you guys need any sheet metal let me know, my fabricator is always parting out cars and normally has some nice Rust Free California metal laying around at reasonable prices.

cool, thanks Yustrn. if I come across something else, I'll definitely hit you up. Juan has been re-fabbing most the the replacement metal I've gotten from the standard suppliers so it is as original.