TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Advice: Looking at an '89 Westy
Hallvalla Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 am

Subaru 2.2
A/T

The seller says "every once in a while" the van won't start in Park, but it will always start in Neutral. Concern? The ad mentions the tranny was rebuilt within 10K miles.

Also, says the speedo sometimes doesn't engage unless he gives it a little love tap. Concern?

Please help a soon to be Westy owner - one way or another. ;)

Vanagon Nut Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 am

The search function on this website works quite well. ;)

Those two details are pretty minor. The speedo issue could be due to a sticky cable or internal issue. It is common for the trip odometer to fail. Speedos can be rebuilt or swapped. Speedo cables are not difficult to replace.

The tranny. There is a "safety" switch at gear selector. It engages (on) when shifter in Park. Search the archives on that one. IIRC, not a big deal to fix. May only need an adjustment.

Get the vehicle inspected by a Vanagon knowlegeable mechanic.

Be mentally prepared for the fact that a vehicle of this age will have issues. i.e. a buddy of mine just reported that his Westy needed a new slave cylinder (clutch). This on a pristine, well maintained later model year Westy.

Best of luck with your search!

Neil.

Hallvalla Tue May 05, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks, VN.

I guess the bigger issue with the speedo not working is if the actual miles are correct? Or are the speedo and odometer not connected?

Just want to make sure this Westy doesn't have more than the 150K listed.

PDXWesty Tue May 05, 2009 11:25 am

The starting issue is definitely the safety switch. It's located in the shifter housing. It's not a big deal to fix. The brass contacts just get worn out after years of use. Pull it ever so slightly down while still in park and it will probably work.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_775_353/automatic_neutral_safety_switch_kit.html

Franklinstower Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 am

I have an '89 Westy with a 2.2 and I love it....those two things you mention, the speedo and starting in park are no bid deals. My speedo would do the same every once in awhile - it ended up being the cable not fully engaged in the back of the speedo head. 2 minutes to fix.

Mine is a manual and always starts, but I know the ECU has pins (ground or unground) to telll if it is installed a manual or an automatic. There is also a nueutral saftey switch that the ecu likes to see if it is in an auto. If you post on the yahoo vanagon subura list, I am sure someone can run a B10 scan for you and it will tell you how the ECU is set up - ie manual or automatic and you can check all of the ecu functions and parameters. the starting issue may be just that it needs the pin ground. What year is the EJ22?

Where is the Westy?

Paul

Vanagon Nut Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 am

Given that odometers fail on these things, and can be left unattended, it's quite possible it has more than 150K miles.

Would CarFax help in this regard?

AFAIK, some internal part directly related to speedo needle, could be "stuck", but the internals may work properly otherwise. i.e. speedo cable works, turns internal parts related to odometer, but needle only works sometimes. There is a delicate spring attached to the speedo needle portion of speedo. Maybe it's hinky? Regardless, can't say for sure.

Take it for a spin. Hopefully needle is stuck. If so, don't tap speedometer. Watch if odometer works. Maybe find some mile posts. Check accuracy. If not.....

Ask to look through work orders for work done on Vanagon. (you should do this if you're serious anyway) If there are W/O's, politely ask owner "roughly" how many miles he puts on vehicle in a given year. With any luck, this info, coupled with W/O's, will make sense mathematically. If that makes sense....

Neil.

Mr. Electric Wizard Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 am

Hallvalla wrote: Thanks, VN.

I guess the bigger issue with the speedo not working is if the actual miles are correct? Or are the speedo and odometer not connected?

Just want to make sure this Westy doesn't have more than the 150K listed.

Carfax will reveal a lot.
If the mileage never goes up for years then you'd know.
I always run a carfax on a vehicle before I purchase.
Never know what your gonna find.

Hallvalla Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am

Franklinstower wrote: What year is the EJ22? Where is the Westy?

Paul

Didn't list the year for the EJ22...but the ad says it was professionally installed at the Bus Lab in Berkeley, CA. Van is in California.

Hallvalla Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 am

Thanks, guys...already very helpful.

~J~

Franklinstower Tue May 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hallvalla wrote: Franklinstower wrote: What year is the EJ22? Where is the Westy?

Paul

Didn't list the year for the EJ22...but the ad says it was professionally installed at the Bus Lab in Berkeley, CA. Van is in California.

The Bus Lab is an excellant shop for the conversions. I have heard nothing but praises from those guys. The moderator on the Subaru Vanagon site (Warren Chapman) also speaks highly of them as does Chester who had a 30 page thread about his conversion here on the samba and I am sure there are many more. But i have not heard one negative thing said and usually it is the opposite. You read more about complaints than compliments....

Jamos Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 pm

The boys at the Buslab are good people...and if they did the conversion then you know it's been done no longer than 3 or 4 years ago, as they've only regularly been doing the suby conversions for about that long.

madspaniard Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Buslab can do an inspection on the van for around $120, piece of mind.