TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone build birdhouses? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Russ Wolfe Thu May 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Going to make them for Jon and Lindsay?

Behemoth Thu May 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Quote: i want to attract birds, not a yard full of stupid.

Dude this is NC. If you put out an out building with hot dogs and hamburgers you're gonna get a yard full of stupid!

Dunebubby Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 am

If this thread goes well Major Woody and I are going to start a sweater thread.

Major Woody wrote: If this goes well, I am going to start a thread about knitting.

So,Boxers or cardigans?

hazetguy Fri May 22, 2009 5:56 am

here are some that remain in our yard.

crazy design

this one houses bumble bees:

others that are simply falling apart from age:

DeathBus Fri May 22, 2009 6:04 am

That one rocks!

Russ Wolfe Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 am

Looks like this one has a fire exit.

BTW, Jon. Nice job of mowing the lawn.

Patty B. Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am

Love that one!!

Major Woody Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 am

crofty wrote: Wow. Something from Florida that's actually useful!

I looked all over it for some of that white colored window rubber, but didn't see any. What gives?

TimGud Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 am

Why don't you just sand and paint the ones you have, add new strings and be done with it? They are good looking bird houses.

jmsmilin Fri May 22, 2009 10:18 am

hazetguy wrote: here are some that remain in our yard.

what the heck is in that one?

DeathBus Fri May 22, 2009 10:54 am

broken

Russ Wolfe Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 am

The birds don't seem to care.
There is a nest in it.

hazetguy Fri May 22, 2009 11:18 am

i'd rebuild these, but the wood is not in good condition. it is weathered and dry rotted, some have termite damage. most of them you can touch and feel how soft the wood is. a couple are filled to the top with sticks and debris, so much that i don't see how any bird could get in there to nest. others are completely empty. this is why i'd like some designs or ideas. i might copy a couple of these because they look nice, but other input would be nice too.

DeathBus Fri May 22, 2009 11:24 am

So what you are saying is that they are the "Hood Ride" of the bird house world? :-k

Gary Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 am

First, what kind of tools do you have (jigsaw, chopsaw)?
When I built bird houses as a kid, we'd either hinge the roof or the base so that the old nest could be cleaned out in the fall. You'll want to do that if you decide to leave them outdoors through the winter or else mice come along and take up residence.

By using the hinge design, only one nail is needed to secure the "door".

hazetguy Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 am

DeathBus wrote: So what you are saying is that they are the "Hood Ride" of the bird house world? :-k

nah, right now i look at it as more of a white trash trailer park for the birds.

Icy wrote: First, what kind of tools do you have?

i have a circular saw, a jigsaw, a drill and a few different sized hole saw bits, various hammers, measuring tapes (sorry, these are gonna be metric birdhouses), miter box, hand saw, etc. and if i don't have what i need for those really challenging hurdles that may need to be overcome in birdhouse building, there are many home improvement and hardware stores within a few mile radius of my house where i can purchase the necessary implements of manufacturing.
i will take the hinge idea into consideration.

MAYHEM Fri May 22, 2009 11:33 am

This one it pretty cool

Gary Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 am

hazetguy wrote:
Icy wrote: First, what kind of tools do you have?

i have a circular saw, a jigsaw, a drill and a few different sized hole saw bits, various hammers, measuring tapes (sorry, these are gonna be metric birdhouses), miter box, hand saw, etc. and if i don't have what i need for those really challenging hurdles that may need to be overcome in birdhouse building, there are many home improvement and hardware stores within a few mile radius of my house where i can purchase the necessary implements of manufacturing.
i will take the hinge idea into consideration.

OK. With a miterbox you can easily build wren houses. The Carolina Wren was mentioned in the link you provided.

Although the entry hole size seems small, the birds are flexible and will easily fit. Here's another link regarding Wrens.

The Sage Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Jon,

You definitely need one of these...

DeathBus Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Dude, just buy one at Home Depot, and save all that time and energy and put it towards VW's or something like that! :?