TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can a new temp II sensor be bad?
gbrandt Thu May 21, 2009 8:23 pm

[edit]
Ackkkk, I'm stupid. I was unplugging the O2 heater and not the O2 sensor. It's late, I'll try again in the morning. For anyone else reading this. The two wire connector is the heater, the single connector on the green wire is the O2 sensor, this is a coax cable.
[end edit]

I just put in a new temp II sensor and took a run around the block,

Runs great when cold, but as soon as it got warm enough for the idle to drop things started getting real bad. If I floored it I had full power, but anything else gave me super low power, lumpy running.

Disconnected O2, no difference.

Yesterday I also changed the plugs and wires, but I doubt its that because it ran so well cold.

Waiting for it to cool off before I put the old sensor in, but can a new sensor be bad? Will check voltage ASAP.

Gregor

gbrandt Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Just did a resistance check.

The sensor I took out is reading 2100 ohms, sitting on the bench.

The sensor in the van is reading 800 ohms on a warm-hot engine.

[edit]
on a hot engine the new sensor reads 300, so it seems to be working correctly.

The boot after the AFM was loose, I forgot to tighten it. After I tightened it it seemed to be fine, but after a drive (about 15 minutes in) loss of power unless I floored it.

Any ideas?
[end edit]

Gregor

dprendergast Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Check the actual plug to the the tempII sensor. Mine was doing something similar to yours (would not restart while hot) I replaced the actual plug to the sensor and that solved my problem.

Dave

gbrandt Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Turned out to be the O2 sensor.