TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon Photos @ Road Side Attractions Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Syncronicity Wed May 27, 2009 6:39 pm

We just took a trip from Glenwood Springs, CO to California. Overall a great trip, had a good time other than the no AC through the Mojave :shock: . Took the Vanagon to Newport, Laguna and Huntington beaches. On the way back we got this photo with the worlds largest thermometer in Baker, CA I think.

Got me thinking. Do any of you volks have any photos of your vans with cheesy roadside attractions?

Zero419 Wed May 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Ive got tons from my 2 1/2 month cross country trip in 2002. Too bad they are all on film...

tomnglo Wed May 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Got a good laugh out of that pic! Fantastic :lol:

SteveVanB Wed May 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Classic!

CREGAN Wed May 27, 2009 7:19 pm

I have this one. A little dark but you can still see a giant garden gnome from on the way out to Tofino.

and here is one from on our way through B.C.

I had to reinforce the plastic sunroof a bit for that one. :wink:

Craig

Texxxxx Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Somewhere around Crescent City, CA.

j8 Wed May 27, 2009 8:46 pm

of course. life is too short to be so serious. this "custom westy gun rack" shot was lined up (quite literally) at the tourist trap in michigan's UP

doubtless we weren't the first to do that, but that's probably the point.

stevey88 Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Not for pop tops.

riceye Thu May 28, 2009 7:19 am

Osseo, WI. A defunct farm supply store that sold milkhouse equipment.

I couldn't resist the opportunity!

outwesty Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:02 am

a few from my recent 8,600 mile trip.

Hallvalla Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:08 am

stevey88 wrote:

Not for pop tops.

Looks like a Vanagon owner made the template for that tree tunnel... :lol:

914 mike Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:09 am

Mexican Hat

Syncronicity Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:09 am

I think this thread should be retired. Post all photos to Vanagons in the Wilderness thread. Originally I didn't notice that they included road side attractions. Thanks for your photos.

Steelhead Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

theices wrote: I think this thread should be retired. Post all photos to Vanagons in the Wilderness thread. Originally I didn't notice that they included road side attractions. Thanks for your photos.

Wait a sec....I respectful disagree completely. I think the Wilderness thread should be true "Wilderness" shots (no parking lots, no highways, gas stations, stores, driveways, etc). Based on all the supporting PMs I got after my recent rant on the Wilderness thread, I think others share this POV. Heck, I'd even go so far as to say no public campground shots, but I tend to be a little extreme.

This thread seems like a great place for all the interesting NON-Wilderness photos.

240Gordy Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:44 pm

ya, these are definitely not wilderness pics.

candyman Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 pm

theices wrote: We just took a trip from Glenwood Springs, CO to California. Overall a great trip, had a good time other than the no AC through the Mojave :shock: . Took the Vanagon to Newport, Laguna and Huntington beaches. On the way back we got this photo with the worlds largest thermometer in Baker, CA I think.

Got me thinking. Do any of you volks have any photos of your vans with cheesy roadside attractions?

yeah I agree completely that this deserves its own thread and NOT be included in the wilderness thread. I've never seen a giant thermometer in my wilderness. Of course I live in wild western Montana, so maybe my version of "wilderness" varies from someone who lives in say, cambridge MA:wink: (no offense to anyone in cambridge, it is a very "wild" town :wink: )

Sodo Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:54 pm

theices wrote: I think this thread should be retired. Post all photos to Vanagons in the Wilderness thread. Originally I didn't notice that they included road side attractions. Thanks for your photos.

The Subject of this thread is PERFECT. It not only allows forum users to assume what might be inside, and also the clarity of the subject drives the type of content that is submitted. I vote to keep it! This can be a fun thread! Besides, not every state has wilderness but they all have roadside attractions.

Composing a good title is about the only way to control the content, if you try to make rules they will be broken. Anyway, with luck, this is the last of the chatter that is NOT discussing FUN pictures of roadside attractions.

Tom (.....noob acting like a forum expert)

Alaric.H Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Cool little bridge with a river running thru it Natural Bridge Station VA

ThorAlex Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Me were five cars driving together on s school trip so i couldn't stop but i got a shot with part of the mirror in, hope that counts?

Skarnsundboen, Norway

spitsnrovers Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Here we are at about the 10,000km point in our Round USA and Across Canada Trip. On the St. Lawrence River, on the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec when we met this submarine coming out of the water :shock:

It is the HMCS Onandaga, a retired Canadian diesel submarine, now on display at a roadside/riverside stop. Too bad it was not open when we stopped - scheduled to open June 13th. I'm sure it would be worth the visit.

By the way, Bus Fusion in Almonte Ontario was a blast. 150 vans of all vintages for vantastic weather for 3 days.