TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel System Cleaner - Strategy
Perales Thu May 28, 2009 8:45 am

What is the best strategy for using a fuel system/injector cleaner such as Techron or BG44K?

1) Fill the tank, add the stuff and drive it in one go to empty the tank, on the highway with high revs (Italian tune-up)

2) Fill the tank, add the stuff and drive it in short trips over a longer period of time, giving it time to soak and slowly dissolve the deposits.

Mr. Electric Wizard Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 am

I rarely have time to do one long drive using the whole tank, so I usually elect for shorter trips.
I just put some "Sea Foam" in a couple of weeks ago.
Seems to be running better and better since.

Dogpilot Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 am

The one other thing; I would add is use premium fuel when you do it. I think it helps keep the mix from causing detonation under certain circumstances. Old recommendation from a mech I had respect for.

Mr. Electric Wizard Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 am

Dogpilot wrote: The one other thing; I would add is use premium fuel when you do it. I think it helps keep the mix from causing detonation under certain circumstances. Old recommendation from a mech I had respect for.

I have heard the same thing.

riceye Thu May 28, 2009 10:28 am

Perales wrote: What is the best strategy for using a fuel system/injector cleaner such as Techron or BG44K?

1) Fill the tank, add the stuff and drive it in one go to empty the tank, on the highway with high revs (Italian tune-up)

2) Fill the tank, add the stuff and drive it in short trips over a longer period of time, giving it time to soak and slowly dissolve the deposits.

I usually add Techron two times per year (which is only eight months long for the Westy, as it is stored in winter). I do try to add it to the first tank of a long road trip, and fill with higher octane fuel. Then I run it down as far as is practical before refueling. I figure, if I pick up one or two MPG, I'll recover the cost of the Techron during the trip and enjoy the improved (maybe only in my mind) performance.

And just before I store it for winter, I add the proper amount of Stabil for 16 gallons and fill the tank with fresh fuel. I've never had a problem in the spring.

For our other vehicles, they also get Techron two times a year, but I usually add it at a convenient time. Whether it happens to coincide with a roadtrip is kismet. I'm not really sure if the timing matters, as long as the tank is drawn down as far as possible before refueling.

Cheers!

GrindGarage Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

I like to use seafoam. Drop it in the tank and once oil temp is up drive it like you stole it!

msinabottle Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 am

Winston gets Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank, it's top-end lubrication, constant de-carbing, and supposedly very good for clean injectors. If he ever gets cranky (he's a very long way from that now), he'll get BG-44K, that's considered about the best of the best... HOWEVER...

Next winter he'll get a tank of Sea Foam, because that stuff is also supposed to be a pretty good gas stabilizer. THAT kind of math I like.

Best!

Perales Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

msinabottle wrote: Winston gets Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank, it's top-end lubrication, constant de-carbing, and supposedly very good for clean injectors.
How much MMO do you add per tank?

candyman Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm

ditto on the marvel. I add a pint or so every couple of months which i am presuming positive results as i have not heard any complaints from my syncro. i also add a quart to the oil every other oil change, mostly for my lifter tick

Mr. Electric Wizard Thu May 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Be careful with the Marvel's.
My NAPA guy says you have to be very exact on the measurements.
He says all kinds of bad stuff can happen

RCB Thu May 28, 2009 1:56 pm

On the subject of FI cleaner....is it possible to use too much cleaner?
In other words can you harm your system or seals or lines by using the FI cleaner to often.

I read on Ratwells?? or ?? site that they like STP FI cleaner because it has rocket fuel in it. :shock:

Can you burn up something or melt it if you use to much of the stuff ?

Perales Thu May 28, 2009 2:25 pm

RCB wrote: On the subject of FI cleaner....is it possible to use too much cleaner?
In other words can you harm your system or seals or lines by using the FI cleaner to often.
Can you burn up something or melt it if you use to much of the stuff ?

This is a good question. I will quote from a can of BG-44K
"...It is compatible with all fuel system materials,....Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe."

Presumably if they feel they have to specify that, then there probably was/is an issue with some products. It is certainly worth checking.
Since Techron is used by Chevron as an additive in their gas formula, I presume that it is probably pretty safe.

msinabottle Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 pm

I add the recommended amount of Marvel Mystery Oil, I think it's 4 oz./10 gallons, and I tend to fill up every 10. I've not heard anything that bad about adding the stuff loosely measured, nor have I encountered 'Netchatter' to that effect--except here!

Winston seems to be a very happy van. I keep a bottle of MMO, a funnel, and a measuring cup in the rear closet.

Best!

rblake3 Thu May 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I've used this for years:

Let fuel get down to less than 1/4 tank.
Put in entire bottle of Lubri-Moly (best) or Techron (ok).
Run vehicle for at least 50 miles (Italian tune up style is recommended).
Fill up with premium fuel (use it all the time anyway, not sure why you wouldn't) and drive normally.
Do this around every oil change interval so you remember.

Can probably debate for several years on the use of MMO (wait, we already did..). Don't think it really cleans injectors but probably does remove carbon deposits. Auto tranny fluid can do the same thing. Would not use it myself in fuel very often if at all (btw I don't use it). Italian tune up or normal highway driving should take care of carbon in a normal engine.

0to60in6min Thu May 28, 2009 10:48 pm

I use Lucas Fuel Treatment on all of my cars

I see improvement in fuel economy and engine power...

Wildthings Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 am

Often when I add FI cleaner to a rig the sputtering will clear up before I even get the vehicle out onto the highway. Never gave any thought to how it should be driven, except to just run it long enough to circulate the additive through the system a bit.

Can't imagine going to the expense and trouble of adding MMO to every tank of gas. I have never heard that upper cylinder lube was a problem on a WBXer engine, in fact unless the engine has puked its coolant and overheated or been run out of oil, ring and cylinder wear almost don't exist.

ddonnell Fri May 29, 2009 6:58 am

I just added Pennzoil FI cleaner. Can't see any results so far....

climberjohn Fri May 29, 2009 7:14 am

Wildthings wrote:
Can't imagine going to the expense and trouble of adding MMO to every tank of gas. I have never heard that upper cylinder lube was a problem on a WBXer engine, in fact unless the engine has puked its coolant and overheated or been run out of oil, ring and cylinder wear almost don't exist.

Wildthings, it's not much cost nor trouble.
Cost: about $5.00 per quart. At 4 oz per tank, you get 8 doses from a bottle, at about $0.60 centavos per dose. Time: about 1 minute. A modest investment. I figger it can't hurt.

Whether or not it actually works is another story. Perhaps Tencent will chime in here?

CREGAN Fri May 29, 2009 7:25 am

I use Lucas upper cylinder lube/ fuel injector cleaner. Not sure if it really makes any difference other than peace of mind.