TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What do you guys think of Continental Vanco 2 tire?
dsa Thu May 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Wanted to buy Vanco 8's but they've been replaced by these. Anybody have experience with them? I'm thinking of buying the 185 r14's for my 84 Westy. Thanks for any feedback.

Randy in Maine Thu May 28, 2009 4:32 pm

Been here?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3833852&highlight=#3833852

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3823751&highlight=#3823751

quarters Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

i don't think i've seen anyone say anything bad about any tire that has the load rating we need. i'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with it.

ftp2leta Thu May 28, 2009 6:27 pm

dsa wrote: Wanted to buy Vanco 8's but they've been replaced by these. Anybody have experience with them? I'm thinking of buying the 185 r14's for my 84 Westy. Thanks for any feedback.

No no no no no no no....

I just got rid of mine, 20% thread left after 23k miles, slippery when cold, they need time, to much time to get to the right temperature.... that most westy never reach.

I had the 15in one, i bit different from the 14' but still.

The new one are Nokian WR-C Van, now with about 6k mile on it, superior tire in many ways!

Ben

levi Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm

It's true, I've seen quite a few reviews that the vanco 8 (2) are poor performers in snow/wet conditions.
Unfortunately for me :wink: I spend almost all my time in the sunny, warm southwestern US of A, and so I have no personal experience with these tires in similar conditions.
My current set of vanco 8's have about 50,000 or so miles on them, and look fully capable of another 20-30,000. They've been excellent in this moderate climate.

cheeseisgood Thu May 28, 2009 7:47 pm

I have the michelin agilis. I like them a lot, but I haven't had them in the snow yet.....just moderate california weather.

msinabottle Thu May 28, 2009 9:16 pm

I love the Agilis, they're great on mud, in the rain, on sandy roads...

But... On ice and snow... See... <shudder> HERE:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276262

Not recommended. I garage Winston in the Winter and NOW have a Tifor and chains... But... They are not snow tires. No No No No!

:shock:

Best!

ftp2leta Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 am

levi wrote: It's true, I've seen quite a few reviews that the vanco 8 (2) are poor performers in snow/wet conditions.
Unfortunately for me :wink: I spend almost all my time in the sunny, warm southwestern US of A, and so I have no personal experience with these tires in similar conditions.
My current set of vanco 8's have about 50,000 or so miles on them, and look fully capable of another 20-30,000. They've been excellent in this moderate climate.

I agree, being in Canada i need a softer compound, but how do you explain the quick wear on mine???? Colder pavement is smoother on tire wear.

But i posted to quick, i can now see that the Vanco 15 as a very different tire pattern than the 14in.

When i got mine i was intrigue by the low amount of thread deepness.

Ben

levi Fri May 29, 2009 3:37 pm

ftp2leta wrote: levi wrote: It's true, I've seen quite a few reviews that the vanco 8 (2) are poor performers in snow/wet conditions.

I agree, being in Canada i need a softer compound, but how do you explain the quick wear on mine????

I don't know, just another mystery to me. :wink:
here's a pic of mine with 19,000 miles on them, almost 3 years ago:

riceye Fri May 29, 2009 8:33 pm

ftp2leta wrote: I agree, being in Canada i need a softer compound, but how do you explain the quick wear on mine????

Maybe it's the 191 hp spinning those tires!

ftp2leta Sat May 30, 2009 6:48 am

Interesting, thanks for the picture, the threads look very different.

To start with, mine when new had way less thread deepness.

Mmmm... i don't know what to think.

It's not the power or the fact that i often tow heavy trailer because the front had more wear than the front.

Maybe a bad batch?

Ben