TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Just curious as to why
RCB Fri May 29, 2009 4:49 pm

people who are selling Vanagons and Westys dont include a picture of their engine.
Lots of photos of the outside and inside and with the top up and pictures of the interior showing the fridge open and the stove top up but rarely do you see picture of the engine compartment. :(

To me...if I was to lay down boo-koo bucks on one of these vehicles I would want to see a shot or two of the motor.

240Gordy Fri May 29, 2009 4:55 pm

MY ENGINE LOOKS GREAT, (oops sorry) but the OP gauge reads 0.0 when it warms up.

I could shampoo it, but the OP would still be 0.0 when it warms up.

But it would look great! You wouldn,t notice the fuel leak either.

r39o Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Prolly cause in their minds the engine does not register as a selling point of the vehicle.

The usefullness and prettiness far outweigh any mechanical things related to the driving of the vehicle.

To a lot of us, the basic van means more to us than the stuff we can see. How good is the suspension or tranny (being some of the big bux items) as being examples of stuff important to gear heads. The sellers may not be gear heads. Or they are and are praying that a non gear head buys so they can obscure expensive mechanical faults. Who sells a van in perfect mechanical order? Generally no one.

My old 1.9, although a good runner, has always been a dirt clod from sweating oil. Plus dusty from normal use. Why show that? Most never clean the engine or know to do so. Hence it just rarely is shown.

That's my guess on this topic.

Vanagon Nut Fri May 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Likely because the poster of ad isn't interested in that kind of thing, (wrenching) thus see's no reason to post a pic.

Here's my question (speaking of pics)

Do people posting the ads actually look at them? i.e. why have small size pics linked from "Full Size" link?

Oh and heres a small pic of an engine linked from "Full Size". ;)

McVanagon Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 am

I've noticed that every time an ad claims it has a "porche engine," that they never include a picture.
:D

240Gordy Sat May 30, 2009 8:48 am

I think they think anything not inline or V is a Porsche engine.

flat=Porsche :roll:

Wildthings Sat May 30, 2009 9:09 am

Vanagon (and all other cars for that matter) are just tractors with pretty shells for hiding the mechanicals.

Dogpilot Sat May 30, 2009 9:19 am

I think part of the reason is VW never put logos all over the engine along with little adjectives describing how many vales it has and such. I guess the engine was way down their list of hot engines, so they hid it the best they could.

Other manufactures give pet project names to their engines. My Land Rover Discovery I's engine is called the "Thor V8." I think VW should have chosen, keeping in the Viking/Druid theme, the "Puck flat four." Since Puck was a bit of a trickster, and this engine is always pulling off little tricks. Basicly funning with the owner all the time.