TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Has anyone tried the "new" HPMX ? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
GonzoTx Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:40 am

I have searched and read what people think about the HPMX carbs, but what about the "new" prerun and some what adjusted models?
For my birthday my best buddy bought me a single 40 HPMX for my 1776 Baja and I hate to hurt his feelings by selling it.It seems that some people think the newer HPMX carbs are quite a bit better than the first run.I would like to know what you "experts" think. I know there are people on here who know much more about carbs than I do ( all I've ever run is the stock Solex !) And if you don't mind,save the EMPI bashing ...
Thanx !

Viande Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 am

With the caveat of "save the EMPI bashing" not much to say. It was a gift run it and let us know how you feel in a few months. If it takes that long.

Augiedoggy Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm

read a lot about issues with the older ones but those issues seemed to be in the past....if you do a quick search you should pull up a recient thread about someone elsewho was so impressed with them they started a thread to share the experience.....with many no name foreign things you'll find the quality can be hit or miss and as far as EMPI goes i really believe its just a name that many different manufacturers of products are distributed as....quality control would be better on some of the products than others... and with carbs you really should go through and clean them and check them out when new anyways so hopefully you'll spot any large defects. It is what it is and EMPI is no more a real weber or dellorto than my vw kitcar is a real mercedes...does that mean my vw is junk?...no I love it...

steve34 Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:18 pm

I have used them 2 seasons on the sand without a problem

GonzoTx Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 am

Thanx for the input guys. ( well two of you) Not everyone can afford to buy the "best" so we make do. I've bought a lot of EMPI parts over the years that did what they were designed to do. Is a $39.95 Empi shifter as good as a $200+ Gene Berg? Maybe not, but I've used that "junk" Empi shifter (bought used for $15)for almost 10 years without a problem.
To each his own ...

Dale M. Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am

I have a set to 44 HPMX's on a 2084 on a street buggy.... It starts and runs every time and performs ok, can not tell any differences from when I had the Weber 44IDF's on car. While I'm not completely sold on HPMX's, they are doing ok at this time...

Dale

hoghead5150 Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 pm

i've seen 6 sets of the 40 and 44 hpmx's so far. one set of 48epc's, and 2 sets of the 34 epc's. all have ran great with no problems. well i say that, most of them we swapped linkage before we even ran them. so i won't comment on the stock linkage. but as far as the carbs go, they all have been good. you MUST tear them apart and clean them BEFORE installation. but that goes with any carb!

bugnut68 Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:28 pm

Funny thing is you can locate good used real Webers, often as complete kits, for decent prices in the swap meets... I saw probably two or three sets of IDFs or DCNFs at Woodburn this year for $400 or less.

As for EMPI, they've completely fucked the VW industry over, regardless of any of their hit and miss parts that may or may not work. EMPI is the reason people shop by price, and I just can't support a company that's created such a gutter of sub-par VW parts.

mharney Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:17 pm

New HPMX? What "features" did they add this time?

Max Welton Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

bugnut68 wrote: As for EMPI, they've completely fucked the VW industry over, regardless of any of their hit and miss parts that may or may not work. EMPI is the reason people shop by price, and I just can't support a company that's created such a gutter of sub-par VW parts.
Damn, Ryan! Tell us how you FEEL whydoncha?! :lol:

I completely agree, BTW.

Max

ADRIAN'S Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 pm

IF YOU INSTALL A 40 CARB. EATHER A WEBER OR THE NEW HPMX , YOU'L FIND A LOT OF PROBLEMS THE MAIN ONE IS THE FLAT SPOT... FOR MANY SMALL ENGINE THAT IS TOO MUCH CARB. JETTING WILL VARY A LOT DEPENDING OF CAM AND COMP. RATIO..TO THE POINT THAT THE SMALLEST VENTURY WILL BE TO BIG AND THE YOU 'LL HAVE TO HAVE ONE CUSTOM MADE AT THE MACHINNE SHOP, IF YOU ARE NOT A EXPERIENCED MECH, LET IT PASS... AND THOSE HPMX, SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE THE WORTHS P.O.SH. ONE THING TO CK ARE THE IDDLE JETS, SOME OF THEM THE SEATTING AREA AT THE CARB. IS TOO DEEP THEN THE JET DO NOT GET ALL THE WAY DOWN MAKING THE CARB. WORK LIKE IT HAS A PLUGGED IDDEL JET..... SOME OTHER ONES HAVE INETRNAL LEAKS(CASTING HOLES) WHATEVER NOTHING BUT CHINA LOW QLTY.. GonzoTx wrote: I have searched and read what people think about the HPMX carbs, but what about the "new" prerun and some what adjusted models?
For my birthday my best buddy bought me a single 40 HPMX for my 1776 Baja and I hate to hurt his feelings by selling it.It seems that some people think the newer HPMX carbs are quite a bit better than the first run.I would like to know what you "experts" think. I know there are people on here who know much more about carbs than I do ( all I've ever run is the stock Solex !) And if you don't mind,save the EMPI bashing ...
Thanx !

Das Dragon Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm

ADRIAN'S wrote: IF YOU INSTALL A 40 CARB. EATHER A WEBER OR THE NEW HPMX , YOU'L FIND A LOT OF PROBLEMS THE MAIN ONE IS THE FLAT SPOT... FOR MANY SMALL ENGINE THAT IS TOO MUCH CARB. JETTING WILL VARY A LOT DEPENDING OF CAM AND COMP. RATIO..TO THE POINT THAT THE SMALLEST VENTURY WILL BE TO BIG AND THE YOU 'LL HAVE TO HAVE ONE CUSTOM MADE AT THE MACHINNE SHOP, IF YOU ARE NOT A EXPERIENCED MECH, LET IT PASS... AND THOSE HPMX, SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE THE WORTHS P.O.SH. ONE THING TO CK ARE THE IDDLE JETS, SOME OF THEM THE SEATTING AREA AT THE CARB. IS TOO DEEP THEN THE JET DO NOT GET ALL THE WAY DOWN MAKING THE CARB. WORK LIKE IT HAS A PLUGGED IDDEL JET..... SOME OTHER ONES HAVE INETRNAL LEAKS(CASTING HOLES) WHATEVER NOTHING BUT CHINA LOW QLTY.. GonzoTx wrote: I have searched and read what people think about the HPMX carbs, but what about the "new" prerun and some what adjusted models?
Thanx !

We can hear you, no need to yell! (CAPS)

Zeitgeist Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:00 pm

WHAAAAT???

67bugz Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:33 pm

okay no OPINIONS has anyone run one of these new hpmx carbs? if so how did it perform in comparison to a weber or dellorto?

Eaallred Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:59 pm

The ones that have been pre-run and tested were done at ACE (www.aircooledengineering.com).

If you want the full scoop, i'd get ahold of Art or Dave at ACE to get the full scoop on the carbs. They've dealt with more HPMX's than anybody by a long shot.

77charger Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:17 pm

I bought some in spring 07 for my 1914 i built.I did take them apart to check out and they were clean inside and floats were correct.Havent had any probs with them i did have to close the air bleeds on them i thought they would be closed already when new but were not.

Used on a buggy and main use is sand in the 2.5 years i have only had one idle jet plug up.i am using the filter bases and filters that came with them.

I would buy another pair if building another motor without worry

Guack007 Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:36 pm

In the middle of having a 1904 with dual 40 HPMX carbs built and according to David at DAPS VW repair in Riverside the latest batch of these work great. He uses them on his own cars.

Ill try and update this thread once I get it back and let you know how they're working out.

For the most part one of the major things Ive heard about a new carb in general is the the floats often come with problems so if you do have issues Id say this may be the issue and is definitely worth checking out.

bugnut68 Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:05 pm

I still don't understand how people can justify the lower cost over the better Webers when you can't get a good used set of Webers for the same or less than the EMPI models. I would think, regardless of price, people wouldn't want to support the EMPI choads. As long as people buy their shit, emphasis on the last word, there will be an EMPI around in business. Which isn't a good thing IMO.

67bugz Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 pm

from what i read though in the older books empi used to be a good company. well im going to get a centermount 40 hpmx, webers are just to expensive for a college students daily driver.

Viande Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm

67bugz wrote: from what i read though in the older books empi used to be a good company. well im going to get a centermount 40 hpmx, webers are just to expensive for a college students daily driver.

The Webers are not more expensive then the tow truck rides. EMPI today is not EMPI of yore. It's the cheapest crap with the highest margins. They have cashed in on a name and are driving it into the ground at breakneck speed.