TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: School me on Vanagon / Westfalias...
NCdad Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:24 pm

What is the difference between them?

Is a 1970 Vanagon the same thing as a 1970 Westfalia?

just trying to know...

PicklePickle Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:28 pm

There is no such thing as a 1970 Vanagon. In 1970 all VW made in the van style was the VW Bus. A Westfalia is a conversion of whatever "van" VW was making at any given time into a camper. There are Westfalia conversions of the early Bus, late Bus as well as the Vanagon and later on the Eurovan.

morymob Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:36 pm

After 336 posts, (yours), does 'search' ring a bell??

NCdad Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:48 pm

wasnt sure what to search for...

I dont venture to the BUS boards much and I see people on ebay and craigslist showing a 1970 Vanagon... just wasnt sure the difference.

I guess since there is no such thing... that explains why NO SEARCH RESULTS came up. appreciate you pointing out the search function to me... about as exciting as when someone posts " That Sh!t will buff out " even though it makes me laugh everytime I see it.

NCdad Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:49 pm

PicklePickle wrote: There is no such thing as a 1970 Vanagon. In 1970 all VW made in the van style was the VW Bus. A Westfalia is a conversion of whatever "van" VW was making at any given time into a camper. There are Westfalia conversions of the early Bus, late Bus as well as the Vanagon and later on the Eurovan.

Thanks for clearing that up

vwlovr Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:43 pm

NCdad wrote: PicklePickle wrote: There is no such thing as a 1970 Vanagon. In 1970 all VW made in the van style was the VW Bus. A Westfalia is a conversion of whatever "van" VW was making at any given time into a camper. There are Westfalia conversions of the early Bus, late Bus as well as the Vanagon and later on the Eurovan.

Thanks for clearing that up

ah, if you're using ebay for a reference then no wonder you're confused. they group buses and vanagons in the same category. which is totally annoying when you're looking for vanagon parts. i have even sent feedback to them on how annoying it is. saying it is basically the same as grouping the new and old beetle into the same category.

GBA 88West LA Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:41 am

it goes splitty, bay, vanagon, true VW vans w/motor where its suppose to be..all had various camper conversions, dealer and aftermarket...70 vanagon is unicorn... :idea:

NCdad Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 am

This is what they were referring to as a 1970 vanagon

CREGAN Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 am

NCdad wrote: This is what they were referring to as a 1970 vanagon

I have another name for that. It's three words that can be abreiviated to this - POS. :D

danfromsyr Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 am

Hmm, indeed it's an unknowing Ebay'r spreading more misinformation.

but that bus is wrong on a few points...
If my bus knowledge is accurate.. I don't want to spread misinformation..

here goes.. based on body clues.

The Upper front turn signals are 73+up (well yes, LATE 72+up)
the front bumper is 68-early72)
the rear upper corner intake grills are 68-71?
the flat hubcaps are 71+up (small 5lug)

it could very well be a 70 with a newer nose metal and driveline components (front & back)
but surely it would be odd for such an "updated" bus to get so much neglect and crappy paint. or is that primer that's peeling?

NCdad Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:48 am

CREGAN wrote: NCdad wrote: This is what they were referring to as a 1970 vanagon

I have another name for that. It's three words that can be abreiviated to this - POS. :D

I knew that was coming! :lol:

but I thought that sh!t would buff out...

CREGAN Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:51 am

Well played. Just looks REALLY rough around the edges.

NCdad Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:05 am

it is on ebay...

in Greenwood SC

you can find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...MEWAX%3AIT

I offered $301 but seller declined my offer.
may have some parts that would be worth it to someone, but I am passing.

CREGAN Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 am

I just recently did the same sort of thing and bought an 83.5 POS off someone hoping to vulture some parts. Did get some parts but there is a lot of crap there. The PO forgot to mention that he filled the engine with water, so when it was -30 Celsius when I picked it up I found the fluid reservoirs swelled up like giant ice-cubes (cracked block now - most likely). Now I go by the saying "You get what you pay for." For $300 you probably won't get a lot. For $500 I don't think I got my moneys worth, but now I have a shed to store my lawnmower in.

CREGAN Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:49 am

Wow, I just read the add and I think the guy is a little grumpy. Maybe I will ask him why since he likes questions so much. :wink:

NCdad Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 am

I think its someone dealing with cleanup of a person who passed away.
not sure though.

I passed at any further investment... I will probably look for something running at least.