TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: T4 Syncros...are they 4x4s or All Wheel Drives? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Andy P Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Had a look on there.
Some very impressive stuff.
I'll have to contact them and ask what they have on offer.
Mind you with the conversion rate it isn't cheap and then there's shipping and customs.

taigagreen Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 am

Andy P wrote: Had a look on there.
Some very impressive stuff.
I'll have to contact them and ask what they have on offer.
Mind you with the conversion rate it isn't cheap and then there's shipping and customs.

Let us know how it works out :D Too bad the cars in SA are all RHD, or I would be importing a late T3 syncro....

RalphCC Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Great pictures here!
It seems that the decision is mostly done. But I couldn't resist to post some pictures from my (slightly modified) T4 :wink:
Some Seikel-upgrades and selfmade stuff like the snorkel and underrun protection (the middle one).

Iceland:

(5mm is not thick enough for a underrun protection)

Ok, you can't compare it on really heavy ground with an upgraded T3 / 16"-SteyrDaimlerPuch (stiffness, ride height, angle of repose) - but I'm really happy with my Syncro.
It's also my everyday car!

RalphCC

Andy P Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:25 am

Ralph, if I could score one like that I'd buy a Syncro tomorrow.
Did the upgrades cost a lot?

RalphCC Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 am

let's sum-up (I put some links behind):

1 Euro = 1.71642 australian dollar

Seikel lift-kit ca. 920 Euro

Seikel underride protection, engine ca. 700 Euro
(ruined after first heavy contact). I propose to create one with 8mm thick panel sheets by yourself.

Underride protection, middle - aluminium sheets, custom made according to my wishes ca. 400 Euro

Seikel front fender ca. 300 Euro
Shorter, thick glass fibre reinforced plastic. Increase the angle of driving slope, but it's no longer available. I got one of the last.

Mantec Snorkel ca. 280 Euro
I used only the upper part - the lower part was adapted with a selfmade glass fibre reinf. tube.

5x Tires BFGoodrich 215/70 R16 ca. 650 Euro (but BFG 215/75-R15 are also fine on T4. With some body modifications BFG 235/70 R16 or 205R16 are also possible).

5x aluminium rims BBS 16" (111kw-series, second hand) ca. 400 Euro
- paint stripping and black powdercoating + ca. 280 Euro

Spare wheel holder (upgrade and mounted like original) ca. 500 Euro

... and a lot of work. Sometimes in a rental garage if necessary.

I do a lot of more (crazy) things like
- changeover to a syncro - it was a normal 10/96 2WD California before
- changeover to the 16" 111kw brakes (the biggest series-brakes)
- overhauling a 111kw engine (assembly project for next winter)
But these are not necessary if you start with a "normal" Syncro.

I propose also a short final drive ca. 2900 Euro
I bought none (yet) - but with big wheels it should be necessary to master extreme uphill grades. T4 Syncros don't have a separate underdrive like T3 Syncros :(
Otherwise the clutch and torque of engine has to do the work. My car managed Iceland in this way as pictured above.

See it as a hobby :D

cheers,
RalphCC

Andy P Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for passing on this info, Ralph.
I'll have to consider it when I look at getting a bigger 4x4.

taigagreen Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:43 am

RalphCC wrote: Great pictures here!
It seems that the decision is mostly done. But I couldn't resist to post some pictures from my (slightly modified) T4 :wink:
Some Seikel-upgrades and selfmade stuff like the snorkel and underrun protection (the middle one).

Iceland:

(5mm is not thick enough for a underrun protection)

Ok, you can't compare it on really heavy ground with an upgraded T3 / 16"-SteyrDaimlerPuch (stiffness, ride height, angle of repose) - but I'm really happy with my Syncro.
It's also my everyday car!

RalphCC

Wow Ralph. I had a look at your Island pics and I'm stunned! Been planning to go there (in my T3 syncro). Now I see that T4's are up for it. Hope you don't mind me sharing some of the photos :D

Thanks for the inspiration!!

WTF!?!!

Andy P Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:47 am

Ya reckon he's compensating for something.....?? :| :lol:

RalphCC Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 pm

@ Taigagreen: you're welcome! I hope you all have a high speed connection :wink:
You'll have fun with your syncro. Next year I want spend there few weeks again (adding some more scratches on my underbody protection).

typically modified by Arctic truck

The really small quad-trailer behind it looked funny :shock:
No money left for a third pair of big wheels? :D

ericos_bob Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:19 am

Hey.

I looked long and hard at importing a syncro from south africa and found that in the end it would be cheaper to buy one locally. The place to find south african syncro's have seen good syncro's for around 8-12k aussie on www.gumtree.co.za. You could go this route but after paying 4 grand shipping YOu'll need to buy pre-1989 if you want to avoid the current adr compliance. Ofcourse factor in a couple grand for quarantine and lets not forget import tax/duties $$$$ . ADR compliance is also necessary though not a big hassle on vehicles pre 1989. Buy a newer syncro and it will need to meet compliance to current adr standards which can easily cost $10000 plus depending on how much work is required on specific models.

I see very nice syncro campers pop up here in oz for $16-20k some with a reconditioned motor and gearbox .I recommend going that route. Empty vans them pop up on ebay and the likes for arund 6000 with complete transmission rebuilds. I don't know your budget but for an extra 10 grand you could even have a newer 2000+ subaru conversion done. There are certainly options out there but you do need to look harder to find a t3 syncro well looked after.

Andy P Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 am

Thanks for the advice, mate.
In the end I've decided to get probably a late model T4 or early T5 Syncro Tdi and for a few reasons.
Firstly, even the best of the T3s have done well over 200,000km and many have done twice that.
Even if they've done less most are around 20 years old and even a reliable car is starting to need extensive work by that age.
On top of that the Aussie T3s are all 2.1litre petrol motors which aren't drastically more powerful than the aircooled 2.0litre motor.
That makes it really unsuitable for towing anything at all.
The gearbox, although it's a 5-speed, in them is even weaker than a 091 2.0l box.
That's a good argument against the Subie conversion although I know of people who've done them with no problems.
I also know of people who have cooked the box.
I've seen the V6 conversions from Sth Africa and I'd love one but it strikes me that it would end up costing me as much again for the van if I imported it.
On the otherhand I could get a late 90s Tdi T4 Syncro with around 150,000km on the clock, raise it a little, put some decent rubber on it and a sump guard and it would get me into a lot of spots.....and probably back out too. :wink:
The big drawbacks I see is no low range, no diff locks and ground clearance but since most of the time it'll be a vehicle we put freeway miles on or shuttle the kids around in I need to be realistic.
I have a beat up '55 11-Window which may get a lift job but I'll have to see where that goes.
For the moment though we have to keep to 2 cars and my old '68 Land Rover ute has only 3 seats so it has to go.
I don't have the money right now but we'll get something in the new year.
I'll keep you all posted on what we end up with.

Andy P Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:02 am

Ralph, are the 215/70R16s the biggest thing that'll fit into the wheel wells?
And couldn't I bend up some panels myself to protect the motor?

ericos_bob Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:23 pm

Sounds like your spot on in working out which car is best for your needs. I did a lot of traveling in my heavily loaded t2 bay window kombi in 2007 and I managed to make it around just about anywhere. Places such as the telegraph track up to the top of cape york and through the simpson desert plus many harsh 4x4 tracks thorugh the kimberly and rarely did i get stuck somewhere.

A t4 or T5 may not have difflocks but still is an awd and with some modification to get a little more clearance should handle any 4x4 a-b track you throw at it. Extreme off roading is something else and reading your previous posts isn't what you're buying a syncro for.Diff locks really are just the icing on the cake. Good luck with whatever route you choose to go.

Andy P Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:46 am

Thanks, mate.
It's a sad fact but until the rug rats move out, or they can drive themselves around (and God help me when THAT day comes! :shock: ) I have to drive something that's....I can't believe I'm admitting this.....a practical, family car.
Blurrrrgh.......man, does that phrase leave a dirty taste in my mouth! :x
Still, so long as I'm driving a VW and not a Tarago I'm ok.
Serves me right for having 4 kids though.
And they don't have expensive tastes or anything.
My eldest wants a Splitscreen DC!! #-o

RalphCC Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Andy P wrote: Ralph, are the 215/70R16s the biggest thing that'll fit into the wheel wells?
And couldn't I bend up some panels myself to protect the motor?

yes, the 215/70 R16 are the biggest without modification. The 215/75 R15 are few mm smaller but more available on the market. 235/70 R15 is also a nice size. Snow chains are impossible in each case!

After saw & hammer - modifications some guys drive the T4 with 235/70 R16 or 205 R16 - But you"ll loose performance! There's no cheap solution to change the gear transmission ratio to a lower range.

The geometrie arround the engine is complex. But its possible to make your own protection. The size and thickness depends on what you want. You could reinforce and extend the original one, or replace it completly with an own creation (e.g. like here: http://www.unterfahrschutz.eu/U_Transporter/VW/Teile/26.0346/26.0346m.jpg)

'Splitscreen DC' :D

ericos_bob Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I am not so blessed to have for children of my own. You may not have realised it yet but you will have one of the most capable 4x4s out there having 4 kids and a missus to push when you get stuck :lol: .

The only reason I can afford my t3 syncro at the moment is because I'm a bachelor. The syncro doesn't complain as much as a missus and is far easier to understand. Can't cook a good meal for me though or do my washing

Andy P Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:11 pm

RalphCC wrote: yes, the 215/70 R16 are the biggest without modification. The 215/75 R15 are few mm smaller but more available on the market. 235/70 R15 is also a nice size. Snow chains are impossible in each case!
I sorta thought that might be the case.
The wheel arches are our enemy!
RalphCC wrote: The geometrie arround the engine is complex. But its possible to make your own protection. The size and thickness depends on what you want. You could reinforce and extend the original one, or replace it completly with an own creation (e.g. like here: http://www.unterfahrschutz.eu/U_Transporter/VW/Teile/26.0346/26.0346m.jpg)
Thanks for those tips, mate.
Next year, in an attempt to overcome my complete ineptitude with tools, I'm going to enrol myself in a Car Restoration Course at the technical college nearby (or at least I will if I can actually get hold of the guy who runs it!)
A lot of the work is panel work so if I take that drawing with me I may be able to get some help on how to make it.
ericos_bob wrote: I am not so blessed to have for children of my own. You may not have realised it yet but you will have one of the most capable 4x4s out there having 4 kids and a missus to push when you get stuck. Well, thankyou for the sentiments, mate, but my eldest is 5 and the others are 4 yrs, 2 yrs and 6 mths respectively.
I can see my missus saying "You got us into this and I'm not letting the children out of the car so you can go and use that shovel, dig out what you need, and then I'M going to get behind the wheel. YOU can push!"
For some reason wives just aren't as sympathetic as you could wish. :|
ericos_bob wrote: The only reason I can afford my t3 syncro at the moment is because I'm a bachelor. The syncro doesn't complain as much as a missus and is far easier to understand. Can't cook a good meal for me though or do my washing. Again, mate, while the missus does the washing I'm the cook.
She does do a mean cheese on toast or fish finger however. :lol:
But I have to admit that I'm richer now with kids than I ever was single.
But then I was either a student or unemployed then!

Petervw Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Wow Ralph. I had a look at your Island pics ....What Island are we admiring here ??

tencentlife Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Quote: The wheel arches are our enemy!

Good one!

RalphCC Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:03 pm

Petervw wrote: Wow Ralph. I had a look at your Island pics ....What Island are we admiring here ??

Thanks, it's Iceland - next year I'll try again crossing rivers there :D
Wikipedia-Iceland