TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Little bastards shot out my window
mr. c Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Driver's side rear, to be exact. And now I read that in order to replace it the cabinet has to be pulled, and the fact that I have AC makes it a bigger bitch. Punk kids.

Anyone have experience replacing this window?

And as an "oh by the way," the officer told me you are 95% more likely to have a window shot if you are parked on the street as opposed to parked in your driveway.

greenbus pilot Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, that sucks. And also why I NEVER park overnight in front of my house. Never.
That, and I'll get a ticket. :roll:

levi Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 am

Bum deal about the window. :roll:
But, I'm not convinced the cabinet has to come out.
Having switched windshields by myself pretty easily, I would at least make an attempt at using the same type of install but from the outside, that is, using string/twine to pull the rubber gasket into place.
You would almost certainly need someone's assistance in holding/pushing the window in place from the inside.

mr. c Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am

No replacements located with calls to the local joints. It's a flat window, and the same as the right side window, so I'm heading to a glass place to see if they can pull the left window and manufacture a replacement. Fun!

wasserbox Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01 am

The cabinet does not have to come out.

When I had my windows tinted, we pulled & reinstalled that window from the outside specifically to avoid working around or removing the cabinet.

mr. c Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:07 am

wasserbox wrote: The cabinet does not have to come out.

When I had my windows tinted, we pulled & reinstalled that window from the outside specifically to avoid working around or removing the cabinet.

Sweet. Thanks for the info.

iceracer Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:32 am

I have done it and it is a real pain. If you have the air scoops it is 10X worse to install. I ended up cutting a large square hole in the cabinet so I could work the string from there on installation.

FYI, If you can find a right side rear glass it should work on the left side as well.

vwlovr Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am

sucks, at least it's only one window. i once lost 11! windows in my 71's bus. they only left the rear one which sucked since it acted like a big f'ing sail.

wavanagon Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm

wasserbox wrote: The cabinet does not have to come out.

Yep, I just installed my glass yesterday. The cabinet did not have to come out. Using cords, some sort of 'convincing' agent (glycerin, slippery shit of choice), it actually went in pretty easily with 2 people.

Williamtaylor33 Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Did the punks "shoot" out a window or throw a rock at it? Becuase if they actually shot it i would think there would be some bullet damage to your cabinets. Or even another window.

mr. c Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Williamtaylor33 wrote: Did the punks "shoot" out a window or throw a rock at it? Becuase if they actually shot it i would think there would be some bullet damage to your cabinets. Or even another window.

It was a BB. Much better than something with some powder behind it.

The recommended window guys offered me three options:

1. Pull the right side window and recreate the left window out of glass: ~$200 installed. Two to three week lead time.
2. Recreate left window from Lexan: ~$125 installed. Two day lead time.
3. Recreate left window from Plexiglas: ~$100 installed. Two day lead time.

The Lexan or Plexiglas will scratch easier, and will flex in the wind, but to save $75 it's enticing. Right now I'm leaning towards that, since you can't really look out that window anyway.

Thoughts?

syncrodoka Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Buy real glass from the classifieds like this one- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=771426

mr. c Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 pm

syncrodoka wrote: Buy real glass from the classifieds like this one- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=771426 ]

A fine and novel idea! :D

RCB Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:07 pm

syncrodoka wrote: Buy real glass from the classifieds like this one- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=771426

Hey !!!!!! I wuz gonna suggest that-------- :shock:

denver_westy Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:46 pm

I went to the local you pull yard and got lucky and found one for 20 or 30 bucks. I also got the used seal as it was better then mine. If I recall left and right glass is interchangable but the lable will be reversed. I never put the expander trim back in and have had no problems after 9 years and 10-11 long trips. did not remove the cabinet instead used the string technique make sure you start installing the window behind the cabinent 1st where its easy and finish on the side that has good access infront of the cabinet.

Funny thing mine was shot out by the little 12 year old punks next door. Now they just came home from college and park their shiny new honda in their parents garage, I keep thinking how funny it would be it I shot out their window now that they are all grown up and have their own precious f-ing car that needs to live in mommies garage. When the cops came by investigating I would say I didnt see anything but gee the samething happened to me 9 yrs ago must be a related case....

mr. c Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Headed on the road this weekend, so this evening I went to ACE and got some Plexiglas. Cut it to fit, installed it from the outside, and used a bicycle tire lever to seat it. Worked like a charm with some gentile coercing. I haven't done the 70mph test yet, but hopefully it works and then I can pick up a window in CO this weekend. Thanks for all the advice. I never heard about the string technique until now.

madspaniard Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:07 pm

mr. c wrote: I never heard about the string technique until now.

here is van cafe's window string kit for sale

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_960_862/window_installation_tool.html

and here is a cheap and great home solution

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369546

msinabottle Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:08 am

My window seal is horribly shot and ugly, but I was loath to do all that dismantling. I'm glad to know that you CAN replace that window without dismantling the interior.

Thanks, guys--

Best!