TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cooling parts from a diesel for my AC to Subaru swap?
nick9871 Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I decided to swap in a Subaru engine into my 82 Westfalia. I just got the Vanagon and havent even received my Bentley for it yet. Anyway the local Junk Yard has a diesel Vanagon (not sure what year, they didn't say). Can I use the front radiator top mount, hoses, fan sensors, and most importantly heater core from this van? Or do I need to source a WB Vanagon?

I know for a fact I am going to buy a new radiator, hoses, and even the cooling pipes (I don't want to risk it with old used ones). But this vanagon just popped up suddenly and I am not really sure yet what parts I need from it (Just getting started).

MarkWard Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm

I believe the 82 Diesel Vanagon from what I have learned had a unique radiator and support that upgraded in the following years. I don't know that the 82 radiator is a readily available for replacement as other later models. I am assuming your 82 is presently air cooled. So you will be fabricating a lot of the radiator stuff. I'd be inclined to go with a more common setup. Regards.

nick9871 Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Hmm ok, well I can source the radiator support from a WB Vanagon. What about the heater core? This seems to be a hard part to find?

danfromsyr Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:25 pm

heatercore is the same, although location of the heat shut off valve changes around 85~86

if there are any other Diesel specific engine parts on the van you should consider pulling them to resell. these are rare 82-3 onnly and often sought after fro the DIY'rs putting in VW I4s.

Best

Dan

MarkWard Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:48 pm

My 82 is a factory diesel. It has a unique floor vent system for the heater. It runs between the front seats along the floor. There is a specific cover that connects the heater core to this floor vent. My blower motor stopped working and I hear the front heater cores are not cheap to purchase. I am looking at fitting up one of these in place of the stock front heater core. Summer project. http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/id-255-heat-air-in-dash-evaporator-unit-102.php If I can make it work, I'll end up with a new heater core and blower along with AC. Regards