TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: should I let the car stereo shop install a new head unit?
kshbaja Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:28 pm

In the year I've been working on my van, she has been untouched by anyone other than the tire guy. I have developed the all too common obsession with my van where I don't want anyone to touch it, and even then I watch uncomfortably.

Is a head unit install simple enough that the 20 year old stereo guy can do it with very little risk of damaging anything? They only charge $35 for the install and I have never enjoyed dickering with car audio. I always seem to break some plastic clip or something. I also have large hands that never quite fit. Since I have rebuilt the engine on my van I know this is within my technical ability, but for $35 I'd just rather not do it.

Thoughts?

motelvw Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:36 pm

They should be able to handle it. If you have the original common ground to the rear speakers you'll have to run new wire back there. It will distort at even low volume.

kshbaja Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:58 pm

i've read quite a bit about running new wire to the rear speakers. is the job any different for a westy vs. a vanagon?

Bruce Wayne Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:18 pm

I didn't even make it home the day I bought my van without first stopping at CC to have them install a stereo. the "kid" that installed it did a good job,and it was free with purchase.

koolmoe Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:51 pm

My '90 does not have that common ground. Not sure when VW stopped doing that but think it was around '86...?
Hopefully not an issue you'll need to deal with.
Ensure they have the proper wiring adapter and properly measure the space you have. I think it's 6.25", give or take.
Get a USB connection on your stereo. It's cool.
KM

kshbaja Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 am

I've got the common ground action. I guess I will add a new task to the queue, pulling new speaker wire. I found a nice post on doing this on a Westy so hopefully that should be enough.

RadioRental Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:18 am

In the past when its been a simple case of upgrading the head unit I let the shop do it. How much is your time worth - if its more than $35 an hour then let them do it.

That said, if you're doing (or planning to) do anything custom like patch in an mp3 player in to aux in at the back of the head or re-wiring the speakers then you need to do that first and explain to the kid what you need hooked up. I've found the guys at box stores like Circuit City (US) or Dixons (UK) are more than happy to accommodate a little 'challenge' if you pick the right time of day. They're usually bassheads and like to do a proper job.

Best of luck.