TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need a radiator fan for 2002 Eurovan
GMByers Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:45 pm

After six years enjoying Germany, and readily available VW parts, I had to come home. I just drove my Eurovan from the port near Virginia Beach, to near Erie, PA, then finally to Texas with no problems...until...

My radiator fan (part 7D0-959-455K) on my 2002 Eurovan cracked just as I arrived in El Paso, TX. I've tried AutohausAZ and PartsGeek, but the fan is on backorder - unknown when they will be restocked. So, I've been limiting my driving and keeping the air conditioner turned off....man is it hot...

I have three questions
1) Is it safe to disconnect just the one broken fan, and let the other fan do all the work, until I can get a replacement?
2) Anyone know where else I can get one (besides paying the dealers ransom)?
3) I saw on ebay that Deutsche Parts out of NY lists lists one that says will fit the application (but it does not say if it is the same part or a universal fan). Has anyone ordered from this company or heard of or dealt with this company before?

Thanks
Gary

brobards Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 pm

You may be in luck. There was a recall on that fan that may cover your van. If you IM me your VIN I can check it for you.

GMByers Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 am

The VIN is WV2MB47022H026680, manufactured in 07/01.

brobards Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 am

Bummer, your van doesn't have the recall. The fan is available from VW. They're really proud of them, the price is $452.93.

brandon2249 Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:27 am

http://store.europarts-sd.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1878 ...$249.88, that's a heckuva deal!

I have had to replace 2 of these...the first one was changed out sitting on a Stockton Delta levee when it was about 102F out...the ring around the condenser fan cracked when the AC was running and the resulting imbalance caused a horrendous vibration....the real bummer was that when the ring on the condenser fan self destructed it sent a piece into the ring around the cooling fan and cracked that one too.

At the time I only replaced the condenser fan and just epoxied the cooling fan...it held for a while then blammo! that one had to go too.

Funny thing is the new ones don't seem to be balanced to the extent they should be. The fans come with a couple little balancing clips on them that really should not be moved at all I guess, so when you go ahead with changing everything out be sure to mark the balancing clip locations before install so if the move you can easily put them back where they go.

I have considered wrapping a strip of fiberglass reinforced tape around the fan ring to provide a little composite reinforcement but have yet to make it happen...on the other hand there isn't really any reason why you couldn't just remove the ring the ring that runs around all of the fan blades (assuming you could balance the fan after) as it seems to be there solely for safety reasons as there is no supplemental fan shroud at the back of the radiator due to space constraints.

...anyways, sorry for the longwinded response...I'm at work...go figure....

....oh, and don't be surprised if your AC compressor goes next.....and then a little while after that your transmission.....and then maybe even your window motors...... :lol:

brandon2249 Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:28 am

one more thing...the later model vans use a siemens fan that does not have a replaceable fan...you get the motor/fan assembly altogether.

earlier models use a bosch fan that has a replaceable fan that is smaller in diameter...at least that is my experience.

GMByers Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:39 pm

I checked at an auto salvage yard. They located a fan in Washington state but it was going to take over a week to arrive......so.....I donated $500 to the El Paso Volkswagen company bar-b-que in excahnge for a new fan that should arrive Wednesday morning.

I love my Vanagons.....I tolerate my Eurovans.

Hangar5 Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I had the double fan failure too... at 46K miles ! On day one of vacation..To avoid flushing the whole vacation..I trimmed the hoop sections off of each fan and pressed onward. There was a little vibration and a little more noise, but very tolerable. Back home now and finding that these fans are hard to get. back-ordered and out of stock.-I wonder why ! ?- The dealer can get them at $400+ each ! Calling VW to file an offical complaint made me feel a little better (800-822-8987 ) and maybe enough complaining will encourage help them to put a realistic price on replacements for these faulty fans. But it didn't look like the original short lived fans have been superceded by a better design. I've found an ACM brand replacement,.but am unfamiliar with the name. Anybody have any experience with them ? country of origin ?

KSeago Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 am

I'm in the same boat (need a radiator fan) in the same state (Texas). 1997 Eurovan Camper. Passenger side cooling fan is nearly frozen, it will only spin sporadically and makes a very unpleasant noise when doing so. The driver's side fan spins, but is beginning to make an unpleasant noise as well. If I purchase replacements at the dealer I'm out $900!

I can't find a replacement in stock anywhere else.

Any leads? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

GMByers Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm

If you have another vehicle and can wait until after September 4th (I think that was the date I saw on one of the websites) the aftermarket fans are supposed to be back in stock.

If you can wait a week or so for a used one, there is a salvage yard in Washington state that has (or maybe by now had) both fans. I think the price was $300 for the set. A local salvage yard should be able to search the database for the contact info.....having said all that, that is if you want to spend $300 for the unknown.

Brother, I feel your pain...

GMByers Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I hadn't thought about calling VW to file a complaint, which I just did.

I have also filed a complaint with the NHTSA Office of Defects and recalls at the below link.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It probably won't help, but at least I registered and who knows, maybe someday the fans will be recalled.

Hangar5 Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:59 pm

It looks like the Feds put a little heat (very little ) on VW earlier to fix the fans. But VW and Siemens replied that there was "no problem" and that was the end of that. Just Google "PE03-015". It's not like there are a zillon EuroVan out there. I'd be happy with a improved replacement fan for less than $200 at the dealership ! But I really can't see that happening. So until our after market fans get here.... Nothing much to do but complain....

rickiellen Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Has anyone replaced their cooling fan(s) with the after-market one from Europarts?
http://europarts-sd.com/radiatorfanassembly1997-2003.asp

Anyone know where these are made? Or any other suggestions for where to get replacement fans, ideally Siemens?

My 2002 Eurovan weekender now has one broken fan (the plastic ring and a crack in one blade; not the motor) -- I'm thinking of replacing both fans, but the dealer price of $450 each is outrageous.

Thanks for any pointers!

AtlasShrugged Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:18 pm

$135 from FCP Euro..I've had good luck with FCP and they have a "lifetime" warranty

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-engine-cooling-fan-motor-eurovan-7d0959455k