TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Locking shifters Page: 1, 2  Next
EODinert Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:55 pm

I've been wanting one forever, but have been hesitant to throw $400 at one. I also am not sure about fitment.. Most of the salty vintage ones seem to say 'fit's up to '57', and I'm driving a '61. Wolfsburg West has had one listed forever, but marked 'out of stock'.

'Out of stock' until I went to order some window rubber the other day. WOOOOOOOT!

It came painted black, but a shot of stone beige left over from painting the other bits in my car took care of that right quick. The quality seems to be pretty good (never had an original to compare it to). I still need to adjust it some more, but I am in love.

If you've been wanting one forever, but too cheap to buy an original (like me), now would be a good time.

Disclosure: No connection to WW except I buy their stuff a lot

Philip O. Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

I like the idea of that, I had seen them before but never really gave them much thought till I came accross your post. Thanks for the idea.

youngnstudly Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I still want to figure out how to make my Hurst work with one of those but I don't want to spend the money on a new shift lock. Yours looks good painted. You should paint the shifter to match though. I love the floor mat too (not often you see them as nice as that one...Assuming it's as nice on the other side).

Insaniac Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 am

How was the installation on it? I just bought one for my '65 yesterday. There were some guys outside, telling me how they used to have VWs and steal them 'back in the day'. It made me a little worried.

d2bruce Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Yeah, stealing VWs was a big past time. Locally we had a used car lot that sold mainly Beetles. They would rebuild the engine and clean them up really nice.
Some guys from a local area would take one for a test drive, drop the engine and replace it with an old one they had laying around, then return it and tell the guys they would have to ask the folks about it........
Seriously NOT cool. :x :x

mtb7001 Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:06 pm

if you are an old tv fan or just plain old you may remember a cop show in the 70's called " Adam 12 " and one episode they were looking for a car theif (beetle) and they just followed the trail of oil from the motor they dropped to the garage with the crooks, one of my favorite tv lines ever " 1 Adam 12, see the man "

EODinert Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 pm

I love Adam 12. I grew up on Adam 12, and Emergency. Classic.

Installation was easy. It took me a minute or two staring at the bits to figure it all out, but it's pretty simple. My only beef with the whole setup is that the keys seem to be pretty soft... both are bent now.

If you use the key chain that they send with the kit, when you shift into 1st it can bet trapped between the key and the shifter shaft, and bend the key... but I think the keys are soft. Other than that, I'm a happy camper.

The floor mats are new Wolfburg West, also. FYI, the instructions say to cut the floor mat so the shift lock is against the tunnel.. If you have original mats, you might want to get a spare to cut for clearance.

Insaniac Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:32 pm

I figure the hardest part is gonna be pulling up the carpet and cutting the hole to make it fit. Fortunately and unfortunately for me, my carpeting is unoriginal and not the prettiest, so I won't have any problems chopping it up. I should be getting it tomorrow, so I guess I'll see how it goes.

Insaniac Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Could you scan in the instructions? I just got mine right now and it didn't come with any. I'm trying to figure out how to open it up!

RareAir Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Insaniac wrote: Could you scan in the instructions? I just got mine right now and it didn't come with any. I'm trying to figure out how to open it up!

Insert key into cylinder
Turn key 1/2 turn
Remove rearward screw
Slide top half of locker forward

EODinert Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:57 pm

I should be able to scan mine sunday, if I still have them. Check back later.

Insaniac Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:58 am

Thanks, i ended up figuring it out myself since I was in a rush to put it on. I figured if I was going to be in oakland, it'd be best if it was installed! WW also sent me a pdf of the instructions, so if anyone needs them, that's probably the best way to get them.

I know what you're saying about the soft keys. When I locked the shifter when it was in first, it didn't seem to be the most sturdy. I like the little keychain they give you, at first it looks like just a normal "quick release keychain" but on closer inspection it has the WW logo on it. Interestingly it comes packaged separate, but you can't buy them off their website.

Installation was easy once the top is off, the only problems I had were caused by me. Try finding that small spring on a black carpet.

Here are some pics of it unboxed and installed. I'm too tired right now to do the carpet. *yawn*

zenm@ster Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Nice I had a Sperrwolf that looked very similar to the one you obtained but I got tired of the sloppy shifter. I opted for a berg locking shifter instead.

I love the new ball handle, never liked the T handles they reminded me of the cheap Chrysler automatic transmission handle!!!

TailTip Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:43 am

Insaniac wrote: Thanks, i ended up figuring it out myself since I was in a rush to put it on. I figured if I was going to be in oakland, it'd be best if it was installed! WW also sent me a pdf of the instructions, so if anyone needs them, that's probably the best way to get them.

I know what you're saying about the soft keys. When I locked the shifter when it was in first, it didn't seem to be the most sturdy. I like the little keychain they give you, at first it looks like just a normal "quick release keychain" but on closer inspection it has the WW logo on it. Interestingly it comes packaged separate, but you can't buy them off their website.

Installation was easy once the top is off, the only problems I had were caused by me. Try finding that small spring on a black carpet.

Here are some pics of it unboxed and installed. I'm too tired right now to do the carpet. *yawn*

How do you like it so far? I just purchased one thru WW and would like to know how it is doing.

Thanks

Insaniac Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:12 am

I'd say it works pretty good, shifting is a little different tho', your shift is a little more tight since you have to move it around in that small box opening. It still works fine, but kinda constrictive.

6Kabrio7 Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:05 pm

My WW shifter locks in reverse but you can't take the key out unless it is locked..This means you can't keep the key with your car keys and have to leave it in when driving..Is this correct with other people who bought the wolfsburg west shifter?

Insaniac Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Yepp, that is why they include that quick release keychain thing.

6Kabrio7 Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Insaniac wrote: Yepp, that is why they include that quick release keychain thing. I forgot about that keychain i bought the shifter months ago..thanks. :wink:

dan_steele Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Thats odd, they must have changed the lock design as I can take my key out in both locked and unlocked positions!

It sucks if i start the car and forget to unlock it though all being on the same keyring.

Took a long time for me to get the reverse lock out sorted, even now its quite tempramental as to whether it puts the lock into place.

Insaniac Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Are you sure it's installed correctly? Can you lock it when it's in first? You shouldn't be able to, you may have a bad shift bushing or coupler which is causing there to be some slop, allowing you to lock it wherever.