TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: pushrod tubes leaking oil new is it a disaster?or just annoy Page: Previous  1, 2
keifernet Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:53 pm

atmellovw wrote: I hear ya but I was not responding to whether or not he should drive with leaky seals, my point was when and if he chooses to replace them, to do it with the proper seals and don't rush it the night before a long trip.

Roger Wilco, I see that now... sorry for the mis interpretation on my end. 8)

busdaddy Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Here's a source in France http://en.serial-kombi.com/index.php?Ids=bef01bbb4e8e89d3b31d9a3e579ef5fd&Menu=Rech&Action=2

But I agree with Kiefernet, a drip isn't terminal if you keep the oil up, I too have seen some pretty coarse looking busses that survived major road trips with stupid owners that at least knew enough to check the oil.

Rusty O'Toole Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 pm

The funny thing is the industrial supply O rings are the proper parts. VW designed the engine to use standard O rings. They are the same no matter where you buy them

If you buy the heavy duty silicone jobs they are BETTER than what VW supplies.

There were standard black neoprene, brown hi temp, and green higher temp. VW used black on the block and brown on the head. If you buy the higher temp seals they will be better than what VW supplies.

atmellovw Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Rusty O'Toole wrote: The funny thing is the industrial supply O rings are the proper parts.

Yeah, but can you call an industrial parts supplier and ask them for pushrod tube O rings for a 1700 VW motor? Going to a VW vendor is just easier for me.

keifernet Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm

atmellovw wrote: Rusty O'Toole wrote: The funny thing is the industrial supply O rings are the proper parts.

Yeah, but can you call an industrial parts supplier and ask them for pushrod tube O rings for a 1700 VW motor? Going to a VW vendor is just easier for me.

X2... never had an issue with properly installed o rings from Victor Reinz or Goetze gasket sets lasting the usual 30- 60 K average they normaly should last.

SGKent Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm

thx

Desertbusman Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

What's the road rage situation over there? Driving a dripper you might want to deep tint the windows and keep them rolled up.

1970bay Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:25 am

Thanks everyone for the great replies

Im almost back in France (La chew de fonds or La Local)on the Swiss / French boarder with a full tank of Swiss fuel!

The leaks not that bad,i think after sitting a week oil settled there making the leak seem more noticable at first

I will have to do the seals.The tappets sound on that side as if they need doing

Just letting the engin rest a while after the mountain climbs & decents plus having to maintain 80mph for the last part of the trip.

Ill read all the posts offline in an hour or so,i parked on a place with big signs saying "no parking" 200sfr fine private and post offive but in France open internet dosent exist it banned by Sarkosy the President of France all four foot six of him

The VW meet in chateu de oex was great perhaps 500 plus VWs there i was the only camper built in the USA there were 3 "devons" hundreds of westfalia but just one,this one,with a full opening roof & sunshade profile on roof

Shops open in France in 30mins (14.00) half an hour to get over fronteir shop then go on into deepest France!

keifernet Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 pm

Now you got me wondering what model engine you have in your bus. I think everyone ASSumed you had a type 4 engine by your "it's a 1700" statement in your first post.

If you have a US model 70 with an upright engine in it then your not going to be changing pushrod tube seals quite as easy as you think.

You'd have to either take the engine out and pull the heads off, or take the rockers off/pushrods out and destroy/remove that style pushrod tubes and use some of the aftermarket multi piece tubes.

Post a picture of your engine please.

1970bay Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 am

its a flat engin shes registered in Europe 1st Jan 1971 but as shes been shipped from the USA shes a 1970

I bought her in Switzerland & re exported her to France when i bought her she had the 1700cc flat engine

the leaks not worse the cylinder end has "gun gum" but i did manage to overfill the oil,then i started in a cloud of oil smoke

I will have to take out the engine to do the fuel pipes on the tank then i can change the pushrod tubes plugs

Annoyingly the previous owner had a new clutch plate put in WITHOUT doing any other work then

Im rushing becouse of the internet connection hear