TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: locating crimp on style clamps
RCB Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:59 pm

These are the clamps that secure the clear plastic hose to the plastic elbow that comes off the charcoal canister and they are also used to secure that same clear plastic hose to the air cleaner box.

Tried GW site and BD site and VC site and BB site and none were in site?

Need about four of em and how do you figure out the size needed...they are not adjustable.

Thankx all

Christopher Schimke Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Go to McMaster-Carr and look up Pinch Clamp.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

You will need a special set of pliers to properly pinch them. I have used a set of end cutter type pliers for piching them, but you just don't get quite the solid pinch like you do with the proper pinch pliers (sometimes called CV clamp pliers). Pinch clamp pliers actually press down on the center of the ear while the jaws pull the clamp tight.

RCB Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Thankx loogy....I was just over at their site looking for the black plastic fuel line that goes on the expansion tanks...I should have stayed there and looked further for the clamps.

By the way .....with all the plastic hose they had nothing was available for my purpose.

Id hate to go the dealer route because of the price ...have you any idea on where to get that plastic hose from other than the dealer or am I stuck with going there.

Thankx again loogy!!

Terry Kay Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Prior to using the stock type strap clamping gizmos, I'd either safety wire them on, or just use aircraft screw clamps.

The both will work very well, in leu of.

Randy in Maine Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:50 am

German Supply may have what you need.....I don't know if this is the correct size so you would want to call them.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17371&cat=&page=2

germansupplyscott Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:02 am

if these are for the clear plastic hoses for the EEC system then we do have the exact ones. i am not sure if they are on the website or not, i will verify. they are similar to the link above but without the shield.

RCB Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:29 am

Appreciate the leads everyone . Now that I now where to aquire them I can cross that item off my "want" list.

Any ideas on where to locate the black plastic line that connects to the expansion tanks and the charcoal cannister.

I suppose I could use 6mm fuel hose by Gates but Im thinking that VW used the plastic stuff for a particular reason.

Thankx all for your help and advice

Terry Kay Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 am

<<Any ideas on where to locate the black plastic line that connects to the expansion tanks and the charcoal cannister.>>

Any Parker Hose Dealer.
It's called "Syn Flex", and is used for air lines on Semi's, covertable top hydraulic feed lines ( seen the local Parker dealer make a set of lines just yesterday--and the had the crimped collars on the ends)

<<I suppose I could use 6mm fuel hose by Gates>>

Phooey-

<< but Im thinking that VW used the plastic stuff for a particular reason.>>

Yea, it came on a 500 ft. roll,is easy to work with and it is cheaper than hose.

Check out your local Parker hose dealer Bobby--they'll make them vacuum lines for you with the correct crimp collar on the ends--probably cheaper than you could buy the tool for.

Blow off the cob webs & open up the Green Acres antique phone book--you'll find them.

tencentlife Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 am

RCB wrote: These are the clamps that secure the clear plastic hose to the plastic elbow that comes off the charcoal canister and they are also used to secure that same clear plastic hose to the air cleaner box.

Tried GW site and BD site and VC site and BB site and none were in site?

Need about four of em and how do you figure out the size needed...they are not adjustable.

Thankx all

They're called Oetiker clamps:

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?idNavig=7&l=4

Not to be confused with Oettinger.

powderedwaters Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:11 pm

This was as close a thread as I could find for asking this question. I'm changing out some coolant/fuel lines and am getting frustrated getting these pinch clamps off. Any suggestions? I'll be replacing them all with worm gear clamps and so don't want to buy a new tool if it can be helped. Just looking for something a bit easier than fighting and wiggling and swearing and well you get the idea. Cheers,

Wildthings Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:14 pm

A good pair of dikes will work, as will end cutters. Nothing seems to work perfect all the time due to poor access to some fitting. A small screwdriver or radiator pick through the loop can be used to spread and open it if necessary.