TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: intake elbow, elbow boot,intake air hose
Robertcho Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:35 am

desperately looking to find that part. My van 1981 air-cooled Vanagon broke down in Boston, fuel starvation or somethig related... my elbow boot is cracked ... seems impossible to adjust the idle and all that is related ... Someone told me I could not repair the part and had to find a used one... thanks for the help

mightyart Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 am

There are no new ones, you can repair the old one, use Goop.

Robertcho Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

thanks, I did not know about the product, you are sure it will hold ? Still...if anyone out there knows how I could get a used spare part I sure would be very happy !!!

Randy in Maine Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:48 am

Others have used "Shoe Goo" with good results.

You may need to investigate the Temp Sensor II to make sure it is securely attached at the head and at the elecrical connection.

If you get stuck might want to give Stan a call...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350778&highlight=boston+bob

RCB Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am

I saw a couple used ones up for sale here on The Samba...check out the
parts for sale adds.

Another place to try is Interstate used VW parts. They are in Southern California...ask for Diane.

Best of luck locating that part -or in fixing it !!

Robertcho Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Finally had my Westfalia repaired ! I fixed the elbow boot with "Goop" as suggested by a member and I must say it works great ! Found a used one in good condition on Samba classifieds just in case ... As I said, my West broke in Boston ... had to take it back to Quebec on a van. (450 cdn$, not so bad!) At my garage, they found that my gas filter was clogged (in Boston nobody even thought to have a look at that and believe me they tried lots of things !)
my mechanic had to readjust the valves that had been baddly misadjusted and my West was back on the road like a new one ! What I will remember of this adventure: always look at the obvious, the most simple things and if you can repair it yourself do it !!! Also: never have your air-cooled Westfalia brought to a garage that does not specialize in air-cooled VW. Had I remembered that I would have saved over 1000 $.
ps. sorry for so so english... I speak french