||Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 am
|Beetle to Thing part swappable brake system information;
Courtsey of Eric/Uber Auto Werks
At least for us with orginal drum brakes systems.
As I previously stated, makes it easier on obtaining local parts without
the " you drive a what? a Thing, what the heck is that?" questions.
Or my favorite so far: the local Napa jerk, you drive a Vw? you'll be one of my best customers soon..." remarks... TT.
Again I thank Eric for providing!
Courtsey of Eric/Uber Auto Werks ;
- I think I covered every stock brake part except the pedal and the blue hose. Let me know if I missed any.
- These number apply to ALL I.R.S. ('73 and later) Things, 181's, 182's, Treker's and Safari's. If you have a swing axle car ('72 and down) the front parts still apply but the rear gets goofy fast!
- "ALL" denotes Standard Beetle OR Super Beetle
Enjoy and don't overpay for "Thing only" parts that aren't!!
Uber Auto Werks
- Front backing plate is Thing only (181-609-139) Because of the lower ball joint difference, Bug can work but may rub.
- Front shoes - Std Bug '65-'77 (113-609-237C)
- Front drums - Bug '65-'67 (131-405-615A)
- Rear backing plate - ALL Bug '68-'79 (113-609-439E)
- Rear shoes - ALL Bug '68-'79 (113-609-537C)
- Rear drum - Thing only (181-501-615)
- Rear wheel cylinder - ALL Bug '68-'79 (113-611-053 B)
- Front wheel cylinder - Std Bug '65-'77 (131-611-057)
- Front wheel seal - ALL Bug late '68-'79 (111-405-641 C)
- Front inner wheel bearing - ALL Bug late '68-'79 (311-405-625 B)
- Thrust washer (@ front outer bearing) - ALL Bug '66-'79 (311-405-661)
- Axle nut left (left-hand threaded) - ALL Bug '66-'79 (131-405-669)
- Axle nut right - ALL Bug '66-'79 (131-405-670)
- Front outer bearing - ALL Bug '66-'79 (311-405-645)
- Rear wheel seal (inner AND outer) - ALL bug'69-'79 (113-501-315 H)
- Rear outer roller bearing - ALL Bug '69-'79 (113-501-277 A)
- Rear inner ball bearing - ALL Bug '69-'79 (113-501-283)
- Front brake hardware (Spring) kit - Std Bug '65-'77 (113-698-001 B)
- Rear brake hardware (Spring) kit - ALL Bug '65-'79 (113-698-003 B)
- Front brake hose (440mm) - Bug '65-'66 (211-611-701)
- Rear brake hose (235mm) - ALL Bug '69-'79 (113-611-775 E)
- Brake line kit (ALL metal lines) - STD Bug '68-'77 (113-698-700 B)
- Fluid reservoir - ALL Bug '68-'79 (113-611-301 L)
- Reservoir cap - ALL Bug '68-'79 (113-611-351)
- Master cylinder - Bug '67-'77 (113-611-015 BD)
- Brake light switches (three prong) - ALL Bug '67-'79 (113-945-515 G)
- Brake line T (At rear left) - ALL Bug '50-'79 (803-611-755)
- Clip, Brake Line to Bracket/Hose (4 per car) - ALL Bug '50-'79 (113-611-715 A)
- Grommet, Brake Line (4 Req, 2 at each bulkhead) - ALL bug '50-'79 (211-611-751)
- Star adjusting nut (2 per wheel) - ALL Bug '58-'79 (113-609-205 A)
- Adjustment screw (2 per wheel) - All Bug '68-'79 (131-609-209)
- Parking brake lever, Left - ALL Bug '58-'79 (113-609-613 A)
- Parking brake lever, right - ALL Bug '58-'79 (113-609-614 A)
- Parking brake lever pin, - ALL Bug '50-'79 (211-609-601 B)
- Clip @ parking lever pin, - ALL Bug '50-'79 (211-609-619)
- Parking brake cable bracket, left - ALL Bug '50-'79 (113-609-637)
- Parking brake cable bracket, right - ALL Bug '50-'79 (113-609-638)
- Backing plate plug (4 per wheel) - ALL Bug late '67-'79 (113-609-163)
- Lug bolt (12mm - 5 per wheel) - Bug '45-early '67 (111-601-139)
- Dust cap left (W hole) - ALL Bug '66-'79 (111-405-691 B)
- Dust cap right - ALL Bug '66-'79 (111-405-692 B)
- Parking brake cable (left OR right) - ALL Bug '73-'79 (133-609-721)
- Parking brake lever w ratchet - ALL Bug '68-'79 (111-711-305 A)
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White)
'70 Weekender (White too)
||Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm
|I've had ACVW's for like 25-years now. I've always told the parts guy something like:
"I need the thingamajig that hooks to the doo-hickey"
Today, I bought a brake parts, with VW part #'s in hand (thanks to this sticky). The shop owner was so happy, I thought he was going to crawl over the counter and give me a hug. He know the #'s from memory and got exactly what I needed in about 30-seconds.
Ya learn something every day. 8)
||Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 am
|So 68-77 beetle rear 4 lug drums won't just bolt up? I need to find a rear drum that I can have drilled to I can bolt up my 15x7in Fuch's. the wide 5 adapters make the rims stick out past the fenders in the rear. Front is OK because I have a disc brake conversion and a narrowed beam. Anyone have some advise?
||Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:04 pm
I don't see why you can't use the 4lug drums on your 181. I went the other way of installing the 181 rear drums on Bug rear supensions.
The type 181 add about 1/2in track width to each side. So going to the Bug drums you should have that much extra clearance in fender well.
||Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:38 am
|Well I got a set of late 4lug drums that were drilled and studded. Also got a set of spacers that allow the axel nut to be tightend down all the way. I am pretty sure it will work. I will let you all know Sunday when I try to bolt them up.
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group