TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Question on replacing brake master on van with Auto Trans
hiram6 Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 pm

I've had the typical symptoms of a failing master cylinder, so I'm (literally) in the middle of it. I've removed the old one, and will pick the new one up tomorrow when it arrives at my local NAPA. I lost very little brake fluid upon removal, but will still need to bleed this thing, right?

I've read the DIY write-up on vanagon.com for replacing the master cylinder, and it seems straightforward enough, but there are a number of steps I don't have, cause I don't have a clutch master plumbed into my system.

Any special steps I need to know that will be different with an automatic? I think it might be simpler than a manual van would be, but I also wonder if I'm missing something.

randywebb Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:57 pm

mine was pretty simple

flush all the old brake fluid out ever 2-3 years no matter what

so why not now?

insyncro Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:29 pm

no clutch hydraulics to worry about.
bleed and go.

dylan

hiram6 Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:10 am

Good advice on the flush, I was embarrassed at how dirty my reservoir was. While I had the power bleeder set-up (borrowed tool program at AutoZone) I flushed all four lines out. Amazing amount of fine black particles suspended in the brake fluid. Now I'm worried about my calipers. Even with a flush, I gotta think they may have some residue, or already have incurred damage

But, anyway, yeah, swapping out the MC was super-easy.

Must have tool for this job is a turkey baster to remove as much fluid from the reservoir as possible!! 8)