TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Canadian Tire Deep Cycle Battery
westynova Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:18 pm

This topic may be limited to those in the Great White North.

Has anyone used the Canadian Tire Spiral Grid Deep Cycle Battery (see link below) for a second battery kits?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/...attery.jsp

westyventures Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:28 pm

westynova wrote: This topic may be limited to those in the Great White North.

Has anyone used the Canadian Tire Spiral Grid Deep Cycle Battery (see link below) for a second battery kits?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/...attery.jsp

Just another Optima clone. 50 a/h isn't much, unless your usage is minimal. Looks like it might be too tall anyway, from the photo.

westynova Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will stay with the Optima. It is only a couple of buck more and seems the Vanagon world and Off Road world all swear by them.

westyventures Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:17 am

westynova wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Think I will stay with the Optima. It is only a couple of buck more and seems the Vanagon world and Off Road world all swear by them.

Not any more...there are more Optima failures reported today than with older Optimas. Seems the quality and reliability has gone down over the years since they started making them in China (like a lot of batteries). That's why I am working toward enlarging the battery boxes to accept group 27 deep cycle batteries, made in the N. America.

OptimaJim Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:22 pm

westyventures wrote: Not any more...there are more Optima failures reported today than with older Optimas. Seems the quality and reliability has gone down over the years since they started making them in China (like a lot of batteries). That's why I am working toward enlarging the battery boxes to accept group 27 deep cycle batteries, made in the N. America.

Hi Karl, I'm curious as to where you heard or read that Optima batteries were being made in China? We do export quite a few batteries to China, but Optima batteries are not made there, nor have they ever been. All of our batteries are still made in North America.

There may be more Optima battery failures being reported on the Internet than there were ten years ago, but we are actually seeing fewer returns and many of the batteries that do come back are simply discharged.

Thanks for your interest in Optima Batteries!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, Optima Batteries

westyventures Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:34 pm

I was told this by my local Interstate battery warehouse/distributor, who also sells Optima. They also stated the failure rate has been far higher on newer Optimas.

westyventures Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Please comment.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/defectiv...97327.html

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/optima-batteries-made-mexico-215667/

OK, so maybe Mexico it is. Which is part of North America.
I was misinformed.

westyventures Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:48 pm

One more question:

Why can't a 90~100 a/h battery be supplied in a 7" x 7" x 12" case (as we need)? A std. lead-acid Interstate MTP-91 is 80 a/h, alas not a deep-cycle. But we vanagon folk need a battery that fits without cutting, and 55-65 a/h isn't enough.

Antron Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks for taking the time to chime in Jim... We eagerly await your replys as there is a true battery dilemma with our vans.

Thanks
Bob Adams

www.mobileaudiodesign.net

speedygeorge Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm

I don't trust anything with a Cdn Tire name on it. I once bought a battery late Friday night befire trip, against my inner voice telling me no, it turns out to be a bad battery and messed up a weekend trip. Never again.

Julian13 Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:49 pm

This is perfect timing. I asked the same question of my mechanic at the VW garage I use, when I spotted the deep cycle in Canadian tire. It seems they have about a year's life in them.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Does anyone know if a standard deep cycle batery fits under the driver's seat. I believe that is where they go in a twin battery system for the MVs, but am not sure if they will fit with a swivel base.

Timwhy Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 am

If you have a Batteriesplus local this battery fits the bill.http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-32629-12v-44ah-agm-vrla-cu-term.aspx

I bought it on the advice of many here on the Samba. It works just fine for what I need. I did add a battery maintainer for when I am plugged in to shore power, also added a small solar panel that is hard wired to my aux fuse box.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy a aux battery kit. They are a serious waste of money, when you can pick up all the parts cheaper at your local FLAPS. There are many ways to hook up an aux battery. There are some really good suggestions on how it's done here on the samba.

Do a search for Aux Battery install.

Good Luck!

OptimaJim Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 pm

westyventures wrote: Please comment.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/defectiv...97327.html

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f102/optima-batteries-made-mexico-215667/

OK, so maybe Mexico it is. Which is part of North America.
I was misinformed.

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you Karl. We hold a lot of patents, but none of them will stop a Chinese battery company (or anyone else) from building batteries with yellow lids. If someone has a warranty issue with our batteries and can show proof of purchase of any kind (even a cancelled check or credit card statement with a charge equalling an approximate amount of the cost of the batteries), we can usually help them.

There are sites on the internet, that will allow people to post comments about a company, without verifying whether or not those comments are true. Those sites make no effort to advocate on behalf of the consumer. They do make money off AdSense revenue and extorting money from companies, in exchange for removing false information about their products or services. If people have legitimate complaints about a company, most will contact the company first and then contact the BBB.

We do have a state-of-the-art $50 million dollar facility in Mexico. It was built to produce better batteries, not cut costs and it has done exactly that.

At the time this facility was built, the intent was to continue operations at both locations. Unfortunately, the downturn in our economy forced everyone to re-evaluate their position and battery manufacturers were certainly not immune to that situation. Many of the engineers at the Colorado facility were offered positions in Milwaukee and all of our displaced employees were offered support and placement services.

Johnson Controls has continually sought to improve the production process of Optima Batteries, since acquiring the brand in 2000. Contrary to what others may think or say, Optima Batteries are built to exacting standards, including the use of 99.99% pure, virgin lead. The batteries being built today are a reflection of our continuing effort to produce the best possible product and are the best we have ever built.

As for the 7x7x12 90aH, deep-cycle battery question, there's only so much power that can be packed into a battery of that size.

If you are using your vehicle as a camper, and more specifically if you are "dry camping", one should consider a battery set-up more like an RV, with a cranking battery and dedicated "house" batteries for the accessories.

Also, anytime a battery is installed in the passenger compartment or trunk, it should be vented to outside the vehicle for safety reasons. A regular lead acid battery will vent externally some amount during use, the gasses are flammable and toxic. Optima grp 51, 78, 31 and 27 batteries have a provision to connect a vent tube. An Optima will not vent under normal use, but should still be vented in the event of a serious overcharge condition (voltage regulator failure, for example)

Thanks for your interest in Optima Batteries!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, Optima Batteries

Tracey Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:39 pm

"We do have a state-of-the-art $50 million dollar facility in Mexico. It was built to produce better batteries, not cut costs and it has done exactly that. "

Then why was it built in Mexico and not the U.S.A.?

OptimaJim Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Optima Battery's parent company, Johnson Controls, has a worldwide presence, as do companies like Exide, EnerSys and all the major automakers we supply. Johnson Controls is certainly committed to our facilities in the US and recently invested $45 million in an expansion project at our Glendale world headquarters, making it a model for sustainable environmental design- http://www.jsonline.com/business/29266989.html

Julian13 Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:27 pm

It was probably easier to build there, with less political restrictions.

westynova Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Just a quick update about the Canadian Tire Battery. I touched base with a couple of buddies that run Bass boats that use Deep Cycles for the trolling motors. They are having the same issue that in very short order the battery stops taking a charge. Ah you say, it has a warranty and I will return it for a new one. Hey if i can get 2 -3 years out of it, well worth the $90 investment.

Well it is not that easy. My buddy's battery will still takes a charge but will only last maybe 30 minutes when he runs his motor. So it is shot right? Wrong. When he took it to Canadian Tire, they put it on charge for 30 minutes while be went around the store. When he returned they tested it. It showed 12V on the meter and they even started a vehicle with it. He was told that they only test the cranking amps and not a long how long it will last. It starts a car therefore it works. Denied, sorry does not count on the warranty.

He is now looking at installing Golf Cart Batteries. They are pricey but supposedly works.

I was thinking of moving my batteries to under the rear bench seat until I remembered about venting it to the outside. Can conventional batteries be vented from the case or does the compartment have to be vented. I think it will still work, I just have to fabricate an enclosed battery compartment under the rear seat. Man will I be able to put a huge battery under there.

westyventures Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:40 pm

westynova wrote:
I was thinking of moving my batteries to under the rear bench seat until I remembered about venting it to the outside. Can conventional batteries be vented from the case or does the compartment have to be vented. I think it will still work, I just have to fabricate an enclosed battery compartment under the rear seat. Man will I be able to put a huge battery under there.

Like this?

:shock:
That's a 4D. I haven't added the special caps yet, but haven't noticed any evidence of acid vapour, so the Interstate caps must do a fairly good job of keeping acid inside. I charge this with the alternator when driving, but top it off with the plug-in charger (to the right of the battery) when home or at a site with power. 230 a/h. Should get me a few days off-grid. :D

westynova Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:29 am

Sweet!!!!!!