TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear bumper bolt size
piruvan Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Anyone know the bolt size, and specifically the stem length, of the two bolts on the underside of my plastic bumper cover? (see van type below)
I'm missing one bolt, so I've got saggy bumper syndrome. Don't dare take out the one that's in to measure. Worry I won't be able to line up the holes to put it back (although the heads a 13mm)
The hole on the underside of the bumper and the hole in the bracket behind it are pretty misaligned.

BTW, these are the bolts directly above the rear towing eyes.

thanks!!

MarkWard Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:04 am

I am not exactly clear, but the bolt that goes through the cover into the bumper bracket from below is N 010 241 18. It calls for two. The dimensions are M8x22. Hope that is of some help.

piruvan Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Got the bolt, but the hole on the bottom of the bumper bracket doesn't seem to have any threads to receive the bolt. It's just a hole. Should there be a bolt on the other side? Don't know how you line up a bolt inside the bracket.
Am I missing something here?

freshintulsa Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Well... the bolt size is 8mmx1.25, but im not sure the lenght of it, but it shouldnt matter too much, if its a little long its not going to hit anything. However, there should be a nut welded on the backside of that hole on the bumper bracket. You either need to get another nut and weld it back there, or take the bumper off the van altogether, including the brackets, and put it together with a nut on the backside while its off the van. Then reinstall as one piece into the frame rails. hope that helps