TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removable rear apron! I finally did it Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
guitarcrazee05 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:25 pm

i've got a 72' panel and I've wanted to do this for a while, so while i was cutting and patching all my rusty areas i figured that i'd go for it, so here it is, just needs a little paint. i wish i would have taken pics through my steps but i think it's pretty simple to see what i did. Hopefully this can help anyone that wants to do the same.

[/img]

soissisc Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:28 pm

I love it! Very nice job. How will you hold the seal on there?

Good job.

VDubTech Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Lovely. How do you plan to seal up the gaping holes in your engine compartment now? You've cut out all of the metal that seals it. :roll:

guitarcrazee05 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

i have to add a thin lip to it for the seal, i'm in the middle of that right now. it'll be done by tonight.

guitarcrazee05 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm

i'm all over that. i've already made the new engine tin that will bolt to the engine and seal against the new apron.

fusername Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 pm

I had planned on doing the same, then I got rearended....

very cool, good inspiration for my next bus.

Riguy718 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:41 pm

guitarcrazee05 wrote: i'm all over that. i've already made the new engine tin that will bolt to the engine and seal against the new apron.
Lets see some pics of that or it didnt happen :wink:

EZ Gruv Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:50 pm

How often do you have to pull your engine that this is even an issue?

Riguy718 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:54 pm

EZ Gruv wrote: How often do you have to pull your engine that this is even an issue?
Good point..you could have saved your time and just bought some jack stands :roll:
But i am still curious on how this is going to turn out.

rustbus Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 pm

thats an awsome mod, why not huh?

now you can pull that engine whenever you feel like it. front engine seal, alternator, oil cooler, dam, you can do alot with that bit out. lickety splat too.

Looks nice and stock outside too. smooth. VW should have kept building them that way.

whats that made out of, channel? how thick? EDIT - oh i see, looks like sheet metal and tubing?

nice work.

dcdubs Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm

i like it... post pics once she's all sealed up

werksberg Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 pm

guitarcrazee05 wrote: i have to add a thin lip to it for the seal, i'm in the middle of that right now. it'll be done by tonight.

If you want to test some of this seal, I'll send you some to try out:

My Westy & Riveria Pop top seal material....

SGKent Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:41 pm

Having owned a 1971 and this 1977 I can say that the ease to pull a 1971 with a removeable apron is 10 times easier than my 1977. There is so little extra room on this 1977 to pull the engine back - it barely clears the fixed apron. But then that makes it harder for thieves who only want your engine. With a removeabe apron I'll bet 5 minutes tops for 2 guys and that engine is theirs.

Traveling Writer Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Riguy718 wrote: EZ Gruv wrote: How often do you have to pull your engine that this is even an issue?
Good point..you could have saved your time and just bought some jack stands :roll:
But i am still curious on how this is going to turn out.

Actually, with as often as I have heard on this forum, "Naw, the best way to (change the spark plugs / adjust the brakes / grease the front end) is to drop the engine! I can get that sucker out before my bagel toasts! Whaddaya mean you can't?", it doesn't seem like such a bad idea! :P

EZ Gruv Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:46 am

SGKent wrote: But then that makes it harder for thieves who only want your engine.

Show me one post in this forum where somebody says 'I had my engine stolen'.

Joey Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 am

SGKent wrote: Having owned a 1971 and this 1977 I can say that the ease to pull a 1971 with a removeable apron is 10 times easier than my 1977. There is so little extra room on this 1977 to pull the engine back - it barely clears the fixed apron. But then that makes it harder for thieves who only want your engine. With a removeabe apron I'll bet 5 minutes tops for 2 guys and that engine is theirs.

Exactly - with a removable apron you'll want to pull the engine just for something to do!

chazz79 Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:56 am

Awesome mod! This is exactly what 72 owners need. When you don't have the access panel inside this is the next best thing. Think of how easy alot of routine work would be without that thing in the way. Some see that and cry "no air sealing, or how dare you hack" I see added value.

Kirk Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:03 am

I am withholding my "added value" thoughts until I see how it seals.

chazz79 Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

I'm sure this thing is cooling fine without being sealed to anything

kkirwin Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 am

EZ Gruv wrote: SGKent wrote: But then that makes it harder for thieves who only want your engine.

Show me one post in this forum where somebody says 'I had my engine stolen'.

Doesn't mean it can't or hasn't happened. When I was in high school I knew of a guy who jacked up an old lady's bug and stole her engine for his dune buggy.