TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why are my blinkers slow?
rustfree1967bug Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:57 pm

The blinkers flash really slow on the '70 bug I just bought. What can I do to get them to flash a little faster?

connella08 Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:01 pm

have you changed your blinker fluid recently? :lol:

sounds like maybe your flasher relay might be dead. possible it was replaced by the previous owner with the wrong one?

Ronny Bailey Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Can a bad bulb somewhere do that, too?
That's the way it is on my old Dodge...

connella08 Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Ronny Bailey wrote: Can a bad bulb somewhere do that, too?
That's the way it is on my old Dodge...

usually a bad bulb will make them blink faster because the ciruit isnt drawing as much current as it needs to.

wjoef Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 am

the flasher relays do go bad.

replaced the wife's when it started to slow down, and now it's back to normal.

jlex Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 am

Had a problem just like that on my Carrera only it was the left blinker only.... finally tracked it down. The socket for the left front light wasn't well grounded. Actually ran a new ground wire from that light & its been perfect ever since. Before running out to buy a new flasher, check your electrical connections first. A wee bit of corrosion can add resistance to your circuit and cause the slow blink problem.

a.graham52 Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 am

jlex wrote: Had a problem just like that on my Carrera only it was the left blinker only.... finally tracked it down. The socket for the left front light wasn't well grounded. Actually ran a new ground wire from that light & its been perfect ever since. Before running out to buy a new flasher, check your electrical connections first. A wee bit of corrosion can add resistance to your circuit and cause the slow blink problem.

i agree if only one side is blinking slow... but if both are blinking slow then a fasher relay wont cost much. if it doesnt fix it... toss it in your glovebox for a spare

Madtat Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 am

Flasher replacement.
i just did mine because it was flashing very slow. all is good now -

blinkity-blink-blink.

rgm440 Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 am

Madtat wrote: Flasher replacement.
i just did mine because it was flashing very slow. all is good now -

blinkity-blink-blink. I agree-- Its only 40yrs. old

andk5591 Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 am

Umm - mine was real fast - had an "unrelated" issue with a ground on passenger side tail light. Ran a ground wire for it and the flasher works at a normal speed now......