TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VDO gauge markings : kinky
VisPacem Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:16 am

I have a VDO Cockpit serie water temperature gauge. To me, I said to me ok?, the markings are esoteric and nonsensical.
The 200 degree mark is *almost* centered. OK.

The marking between 100 and 200 degrees are unevenly marked :!:

Why? I am still wondering. On a Smith, a Lucas, a Jaeger or Veglia the markings are clear, evenly spaced for easy identification.
I am still at a loss to decipher the value of each marking, even the *almost evenly spaced one between 200 and 250. Could it be 225 ?? duuuuuhh

It is not a matter of importance as we are dealing with a proximity gauge not a scientific instrument and I only use it as an indication of things to come.

However not knowing just bothers me.

Anyone knows?

Dogpilot Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 am

Typically, most automotive gauges are for looks. A step above an idiot light. The VDO gauge is marked according to what the sensor reads and what is displayed, much like a gas gauge. The tank, unless a cube, does not have capacity that diminishes in a linear fashion. So the gauge is marked to reflect this, non-linear capacity, not evenly, but to reflect actual capacity. Likewise, the senders don't have linear response. I bet if you look at the Lucas (my personal hero), it may be only accurate at the normal temp range and quite a bit off on either end of the spectrum. Which is really where it only needs to be accurate. To see the non-linear response I refer you to the resistance graph of the coolant sender for an example: