TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: coolant hoses after tranny cooler installed
Wesser Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi all,
( 84 GL Auto)
When I get the tranny cooler installed, I'm suppose to splice the original coolant lines together. I would like to eliminate these hoses all together.
Now, can I remove the "H" plastic housing ( with the bleeder valve which never seems to work and I've never needed for system refill) that the two trans lines come off, and just install custom aluminum short pipes and clamp? Is that small coolant line that comes off that also important or can that be eliminated and plugged? Hope this makes sense.

Belladonna30c Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:46 am

Bump. Interested to hear the experts respond...

JunkYarDog Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Several hits on this in the search. This is one I know had some experts looking at it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291622&highlight=pipe

Wesser Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:55 pm

My thought was to take the H section out, take it down to my local stainless exhaust man and see if he can make me two straight sections. I didn't realize the hoses were different sizes, they look the same to me.
I'll take another peak.
I have the auto out now and just rebuilt it myself. Went pretty smoothly and everything now is within specs. ( dissasembled,cleaned and reassembled valve body.It was full of gunk! )
When I took the stock coolant lines with cooler attached off and put them to the side I got a few drips from the H section. So, another reason to eliminate it.
Thanks all!
I'd be lost without this sight :)

Wesser Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:16 pm

OK, so I removed the "H" plumbing component and it was leaking. Cracked right where the small hose attaches. I'm having two stainless couplings made with 3/8" bleeders welded in so not only can I bleed but also pour in antifreeze. Hopefully making the process easier.
Anyone else do anything similar to this?