TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: War wagon '73 baja build Page: 1, 2  Next
SMN Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:53 pm

This is my baja, that at this point, is finished. I've had about a half dozen bugs, but had always wanted a baja. With the help of my old boss at the local vw/ buggy shop, I picked this '73 up for $300. The goal was low bugget and to complete it by winter. The build started in this past september.

I picked up these one piece aluminum rims off CL.. With winter in mind I kept the tires narrow and aggresive. They are nancos 7x15 light truck tires.

This is after installing the baja kit, also found on CL. w/ custum cut rear steel late fenders

Rebuild irs tranny with taller gears

Filling in dash after removing padding

The previous owner had the rusted passenger side heater channel held together with carpet

To keep with bugget, went with straigh spray can paint. What is a war wagon with out flat green?

Lift is only from tires size and coilovers

Rebuilt engine. Again low bugget. Its a 1600cc. Went with single port for the low end torque.

Custom wheel adaptor and center cap!

Finished product a month and a half later..

Nachodaddy77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:02 pm

That car came out good for a low budget project. Its amazing what you can do on a tight budget. anyway the car looks great

SMN Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks! If I figure right, including purchase of the car, It came in just under $3000.

Chad1376 Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:36 pm

I dig the black rims - are they rattlecan, or did you powder coat them?

Nachodaddy77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:37 pm

yeah im in mine like 2000 or 2500 so far

olmer2 Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Nice build, looks great!

Nicksan Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Looks good. :D

How did you get that dull/flat look? Is that primer?

SMN Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm

I'm not proud, but i was cheap.. Yes rattle can was my friend on this one. The beauty of flat spray paint is that it lays evenly and touch ups are simple.

Conner Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Looks really nice.. I like it

Nicksan Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

SMN wrote: I'm not proud, but i was cheap.. Yes rattle can was my friend on this one. The beauty of flat spray paint is that it lays evenly and touch ups are simple.

I really like the flat look, Thats what I was trying to get with mine. :)

bajaanyone? Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 am

looks great for a low budget build. its not all out but itll get you places ;)

Freak182 Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:47 am

Nice job. The best part about a budget build is you can beat on it and not be occupied with all the money you spend on it.

pafree Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:33 am

Chad1376 wrote: I dig the black rims - are they rattlecan, or did you powder coat them?

tell us about the wheels. how did you do the small screws? did you cover them before painting?

rattlecan paint jobs are great. makes it easy to touch up after playing in the bush. if you find the paint giving you trouble, you could hit it with a flat clear coat with hardner to make it a little stronger.

oxfordethan Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 am

Looks great! Do you have a pic of the finished dash and tail lights? I'm looking for ideas for my project. Thanks

Conner Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

What kid of rims are thoose? I really like the colour of your car, I might do mine that colour too.

SMN Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Wheels: Don't know the brand. I think they are like some centerline knock offs from the '70s.. They are set I found for cheep on CL.
I painted them by spraying the whole rim face black. To polish the bolts I took a piece of rubber hose about the same diameter of the bolt and covered a end with a cloth. I then dipped the hose/ cloth in laquer thinner and cleaned the paint off each bolt with a twisting action.. If that makes sense..

Here is the rear tails.. They are 4 LED 3 way buggy lights. They blink amber.

Here is the dash.. excuse the temp duct tape covering my radio hole..lol

andychrist77 Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:56 pm

I like that steering wheel cap. What is that behind the steering wheel, is it suppose to collaspe if in a accident?

SMN Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:03 pm

^^^ Yes actually.. That callapseable piece is stock on late beetles, but is normally covered by plastic..

oxfordethan Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 am

thanks for the pics. definately inspriation.

Midwest aircooled Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:36 am

All we need now is a gas heater up front and it will be ready for boring through the winter snow!

I helped with the project, and its nice doing a car every now and then that will actually be used, and your now worried about every little scratch that might happen while putting it together. Not bad for a couple guys tinkering in the garage on the weekends!

Jason