TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My winter/spring project Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
vdub411 Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:49 am

Here she is in all her beauty. Titled as a 1975 with a H5 1500 single port. Thanks to everyone who helped on the forums , the car is now running. This is my 2nd bug and first baja (well kinda baja). The other was a 1973 Std Beetle 1600 dual port with some goodies and LOW. Now I am choosing the other end of the spectrum. Here are a few photos from the day I dragged her home. Most of the parts you see laying around came from the interior of the car. I started with everything ready and a longblock with lots of stock accessories. I plan on pulling that motor and trans and picking up a nice 1776 and bus trans combo. I just wanted to hear her run! :D Enjoy the pics, more to come! Oh yeah all of this for $1000.

Hyper1 Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:09 am

"Most of the parts you see laying around came from the interior of the car"

Man a nice car and it came with a 12 pack of coors, what more could you ask for?

carlos_magnum Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:55 am

Looks good. You definitely had a great deal! Good luck on your new project.

neanders Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 am

Hyper1 wrote: "Most of the parts you see laying around came from the interior of the car"

Man a nice car and it came with a 12 pack of coors, what more could you ask for?

I was thinkin' the exact same thing... :wink:

Good luck!!

pafree Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:25 am

vdub411 wrote: The other was a 1973 Std Beetle 1600 dual port with some goodies and LOW. Now I am choosing the other end of the spectrum.

welcome to the darkside. looks like you have a good car to start with. owning and building a baja is as addictive as owning a stock vw. knowing you can take a snowy/muddy road or drive over a curb without hitting bottom will feel good. rattling the pipes a little is cool too.

vdub411 Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 am

Yeah the coors is their for moral support. 8)

65BAJA Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:12 am

Hyper1 wrote: Man a nice car and it came with a 12 pack of coors, what more could you ask for?

Rouge Dead Guy Ale? :D

chubby53 Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:57 pm

looks nice and straight, nice find.

vdub411 Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 pm

So has anyone used the fiberglass/plastic low back seats in their baja? And has anyone used the one piece rear seats of the same type? I like the old school look with the diamond pattern, just didn't know if they would fit.

Mal evolent Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Quote: what more could you ask for?

Arrogant Bastard Ale

you can't see light through it. cut off a plug and chew.

7%, 22 ounces - a buzz in a bottle, even if you are NFL / WWE big.

neanders Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:59 pm

If you like Arrogant Bastard, try Irish Death. It's really good too!!

vdub411 Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:45 pm

OK maybe I should change the thread name to Bajas and beer. J/K But has anyone had Blue Hippo? 8.5% beer and all naturaul, made only with blueberries. Not bad with breakfast.

chubby53 Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

not me, but if you like stout, there's a local brewery in eugene, oregon that makes terminator stout... goooooood stuff.

57baja Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:31 pm

vdub411 wrote: So has anyone used the fiberglass/plastic low back seats in their baja? And has anyone used the one piece rear seats of the same type? I like the old school look with the diamond pattern, just didn't know if they would fit.

... Not the best photo, but it will fit.

twomonkeysayoyo Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 pm

57baja wrote: vdub411 wrote: So has anyone used the fiberglass/plastic low back seats in their baja? And has anyone used the one piece rear seats of the same type? I like the old school look with the diamond pattern, just didn't know if they would fit.

... Not the best photo, but it will fit.

beautiful. I've been looking for something to go in the back area since I have in a previous life removed all that stuff. You got a brand? Also, What is a "suspension seat" and is this one? Also, St Bernardus Abt 12.

vdub411 Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:10 am

57baja Do you know what the width of the backseat is? Any pics of how you mounted it? Were you able to still use the original battery box? I like the looks of that seat and it fits inside the cage. NICE

57baja Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:23 pm

I have the fiberglass rear seat that was popular many years ago. It's REALLY tight back there, but I designed it so my two kids could go with me when they were smaller. I'd need a large hammer and crow bar to get them in there now, because they're over six feet tall now.

Here's a couple of photos of assembly. If that rear seat bracing looks familiar... it should. It's actually a rear bumper that's been modified. It matches the contour of the seat perfectly! Yes... the battery fits under it in the battery box, as seen in the other picture. This picture does not show the insulation under the cage that's glued to the floor. As you can see, the whole assembly can be unbolted for access to the cage and for fuel tank removal.

All that stuff that's in there is my tool kit and spare parts. The SoCal guys always tease me about carrying too much stuff until something breaks in one of their cars and I have the part with me to fix it! Obviously in this picture the passenger's seat is removed, too. You can see the battery box in there, though.

twomonkeysayoyo Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 pm

57baja wrote: I have the fiberglass rear seat that was popular many years ago. It's REALLY tight back there, but I designed it so my two kids could go with me when they were smaller.Obviously in this picture the passenger's seat is removed, too. You can see the battery box in there, though.

That's my predicament. Wanting the kids to go with me and wanting a cage. Is good to see how you did it and would love to have more pics. How big is that subwoofer (IOW whats the distance between the seat and that middle support bar behind the front seats)?

Nachodaddy77 Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Looks like a great start . what are your plans for the car? and i find rum and coke or corona a good "moral support" for baja work. lord knows i needed it with my brake bleeding fiasco

vdub411 Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Well finally got the motor back together and running. It runs good but doesn't stop so well.

Nachodaddy77: Plans for the car???? Not sure yet. The more I read on hear the more I see $$$. Upgrade one thing then have to upgrade another to keep up with yourself. Maybe some advice would help.

My plans for use of the car will be- Summer toy and hopefully summer DD. Only bad part is I drive 150+ miles daily. A little mud and sand but nothing major, and lots of camping trips.

So far I am looking at getting a 1776 and bus trans. Not sure if I want to tackle the install by myself but it's not looking too bad. New tires, the ones on it are brand new and only have 20 miles from the trip home but I like a more aggressive tire. Other than that I am still tyring to figure out what has already been done to it. Here is a pic of it back together.