TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Frame Head Napoleans Hat Page: 1, 2  Next
daclinz Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Ok I finally removed the pass. side pan and now it looks like the "Napoleans Hat" needs to be replaced everything else is solid ..... NOW, I have been searching everywhere for this thing and have had no luck finding a replacement "hat". Anyone have any links?

OH ye ..... 71 std beetle

Gary Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Someone is going to come along and recommend garbage from MidAmerica, CIP1, etc. Click here to see what you're in for.

PM me if you're interested in good donor metal; otherwise, you'd be better off checking the Samba Classifieds or placing a Wanted ad.

desertmedic Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Plus they are supposed to have some of the best replacement metal around.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_sheet_metal/bug_sheet_metal/bug_body_sheet_metal.cfm

benny27 Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113701037D

I feel you I have to replace mine too

Berf Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm looking for one too, 74 std. I'm waiting for OEVeedub in CO to get theirs in later this month or next.

Berf Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:37 pm

They've got them in stock as of yesterday. Just now ordered mine. Usually the quality is good and heavy from OEVeedub.

daclinz Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Is this a quality part?
http://www.oeveedub.com/vw/bug-framehead/95-10-26-0.html

Wolfburgwest has one but its much more and it i believe it just for a super.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133701500

Jerry Hundley Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Gary wrote: Someone is going to come along and recommend garbage from MidAmerica, CIP1, etc. Click here to see what you're in for.

PM me if you're interested in good donor metal; otherwise, you'd be better off checking the Samba Classifieds or placing a Wanted ad.

I put a CIP1 napolean hat in my 66 and it didn't fit worth a shit. I had to cut it in half and then fill in a half inch gap to get it to fit.

vierfalcon Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:08 pm

I got the OEVDub one and I had to cut a few "slices" into its edges and hammer it to fit, but it welded in and mated up with everything else perfectly. I used thick screwdrivers to make sure the four holes in the napoleon hat stayed lined up with the holes on the framehead where the heater channels will eventually bolt in. Same thickness and measurements as the one i cut off and the master cylinder fits just right.

daclinz Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I went ahead and ordered it from oeveedub. A little bit of fab work is not an issue. Thanks all for the info and links. Will post pics when I get it on and post any issues I find. Thanks again

vwbud1973 Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 pm

I just finished doing the napoleon hat, and upper and lower frame head.
The framehead bottom plate was from denmark and just felt like a good solid piece. the upper part of the framehead and the napoleon hat were from brasil, and just weren't finished as nice as the bottom plate.
I measured with the micrometer to see if the brasil stuff was thinner, but it was all the same thickness. And none of it really fit worth a damn. There was a lot of work that went into the fitment of all the pieces. My napoleon hat was about a half to 3/4" wider than the frame tunnel. There was a lot of work with the torch and pliers and ball peen hammer to "heat and beat" the lip down to meet the frame tunnel. There was also a lot of work like that to bring the top and bottom plates together to meet also.
One thing you have to remember is that these pieces aren't a direct perfect fit replacement. Its going to take some work to make them fit properly... even the supposed good stuff.
Check the link in my signature to see how i did my frame head and napoleon hat. if you have any questions on it feel free to ask me. Its still fresh in my mind. I finished the last welds on it about an hour ago!
:D

forkzilla Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I just installed a nap hat from OEVEEDUB and it was a very nice piece, fitting very snug and needed no trimming of any kind.

Gary Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 pm

daclinz wrote: I went ahead and ordered it from oeveedub. A little bit of fab work is not an issue. Thanks all for the info and links. Will post pics when I get it on and post any issues I find. Thanks again

It should be an issue. The part should fit right out of the box. Just another example of people settling for a mediocre part and not demanding the supplier provide quality.

jmarshall024 Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:49 pm

I hear you Gary. I just replaced my hat with one from CIP1 and it took a lot of work to get it to fit. I should've sent it back and got one from one of these other suppliers. Next time I'll know better.

connella08 Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:19 pm

i bought a napoleons hat from airheadparts.com and had no problem with it.

daclinz Tue May 18, 2010 5:38 am

The OEVDub hat worked great, Interior section of the pan is now done ... time to tackle the suspension.

OLDveedubs Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Thread rivival.

Expect a lot of metal work to get these to fit properly. AND probably not look very good after.

The stampings and press markings are quite obvious.

The shape isn't the same.

Below, the bottom plate "outdents" do not match up in the same spot.

My plan had been to replace about the outer 6 inches of the hat and bottom plate with the material. I did hours worth of research and saw multiple times that the panels were not true to fit. I figured that it might be worth the gamble to look and see if I could replace just the area I was looking to do.

Instead, it was a trip to the UPS store with a return #, no amount of metal work will remove the press and stamping errors that make the part look like a cheap replacement.

Just beware, if you have a discerning eye or are trying to use as little replacement material as possible, this may not be the best bet! Lesson learned, and like I said the vendor doesn't matter because they're all the same! Off to the classifieds to find some workable OG material...

eshan2 Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm

That part came from a die set that needs some major polishing done to it.They need to properly lube the metal so it can move as needed when pressed into shape. Last but not least it looks like they stroked the press too fast and did not give the metal the time needed to move within the die and form right. The gal marks also show signs of stretching due to the metal not being free to move as needed,probably not far from tearing or splitting.

benchracer1 Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:19 am

reviving an old topic, I see alot of praise for the oeveedub sheet metal. I had good luck as well. Unfortunately they were apparently bought by Rocky mountain motorworks. I to will be looking foer a framehead and napolean hat

beetlenut Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:10 pm

benchracer1 wrote: reviving an old topic, I see alot of praise for the oeveedub sheet metal. I had good luck as well. Unfortunately they were apparently bought by Rocky mountain motorworks. I to will be looking foer a framehead and napolean hat

I had heard that their remaining stock was bought by M&T Manufacturing in RI. M&T also added a new building to house it all. Might give Kevin a call at M&T and ask him about it. I know I have bought some parts from them that fit well like the framehead bottom plate.