TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Frozen Vanagon (Update) Page: 1, 2  Next
Syncronicity Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:25 am

I drove through a large half frozen flooded road on the route up to do some ice climbing in Redstone, CO. After the climb I started the van and loaded my gear. Tried to go and the accelerator was frozen solid. I tapped and tapped on the pedal and goofed with the cable for about 10 minutes. Finally it freed up, but then stuck wide open. I shut it down and finally got it to return to idle. Drove it home with no problems. It has stuck slightly before, but a quick tap freed it immediately. Any ideas? Is this a common problem? Did not see anything during a quick search. Thanks

greenbus pilot Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:57 am

Syncronicity wrote: I drove through a large half frozen flooded road on the route up to do some ice climbing in Redstone, CO. After the climb I started the van and loaded my gear. Tried to go and the accelerator was frozen solid. I tapped and tapped on the pedal and goofed with the cable for about 10 minutes. Finally it freed up, but then stuck wide open. I shut it down and finally got it to return to idle. Drove it home with no problems. It has stuck slightly before, but a quick tap freed it immediately. Any ideas? Is this a common problem? Did not see anything during a quick search. Thanks

Yep, thats winter for ya; pretty much a daily thing around here (not Volkswagen, though). I once had my Bus brakes apply themselves for no reason, but got home OK.

peaceful warrior Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Keep a can of WD-40 in your Vanagon for just such a problem. I used to have this happen with my Westy when I lived in Vail/Avon and I would just spray the cable with WD-40 and it would loosen right up.

FNGRUVN Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Is the rubber bellows that is on the throttle cable(engine end) ripped? Water will migrate down the throttle cable tube and then freeze. I found that out the hard way when I pressure cleaned the engine last winter right after buying the van.

Syncronicity Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Quote: Is the rubber bellows that is on the throttle cable(engine end) ripped? Water will migrate down the throttle cable tube and then freeze. I found that out the hard way when I pressure cleaned the engine last winter right after buying the van.

Yep it is ripped. Will I need to replace the entire cable? Or????? Thanks

outwesty Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:26 pm

I had this happen on my e brake cable before. I added as much antifreeze to the cable as I could and it never happened again.....

tschroeder0 Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:28 pm

The other part you may look at is the cover on the front over the roller mechanism, under the spare tire.
Those can fall apart over time and are then open to all the elements. Give that a look, I think Terry K has one for sale. beautiful pics BTW. T

syncrodoka Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Quote: Yep it is ripped. Will I need to replace the entire cable? Or????? Thanks
The bellow isn't sold separately but the cable probably needs to be replaced anyways. They are pretty cheap- http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_796_1398/accelerator_cable.html
It isn't that big of a job either.

Syncronicity Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks. Have replacement cable ordered and will keep it lubed.

McVanagon Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm

I had a throttle cable freeze wide open after leaving the house at 4am. Continued driving to work by using the key as an on/off switch. Right before I got to work, it thawed enough to work free.

Only problem is, once you kill the ignition, the lights also go out.

Good times.

GWTWTLW Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Anyone replaced one on a syncro lately? How much harder if any is it with the gas tank in back? I've been thinking about replacing mine as preventive maintenance. A couple of years ago I wouldnt have hesitated to have my mechanic do it but I would try and do it myself now, weather permitting. Thx!

syncrodoka Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Easy. Just remember where it was originally routed and make sure that you put it in the correct frame hole.

GWTWTLW Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:35 pm

That sounds way to simple!

syncrodoka Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I replaced the cable on my 2wd, the doka and the hardtop syncro and took a hike with the dog the same day. You be the judge.
Dropping the spare to get it out of the way is probably the hardest part.

GWTWTLW Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Sweet! I dont even have a spare to drop!

smokin_dodge Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:55 am

peaceful warrior wrote: Keep a can of WD-40 in your Vanagon for just such a problem. I used to have this happen with my Westy when I lived in Vail/Avon and I would just spray the cable with WD-40 and it would loosen right up.

if the stock vw cable has any type of grease putting WD-40 will only make it worse.

I never suggest WD-40 for the mere fact thats its original design was for degreasing and water displacement. if there is any lubricant in the stock cable it will make the problem worse. I made the mistake of spraying WD-40 on my front balljoints on my 3/4 ton dodge - a week later i was replacing ball joints.

I would got with some oil based lubricants or maybe even something with alchohol in it to help dissipate the water. maybe even just traight isopropyl alchohol will help you.

ak_runner Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Mine froze up last Fall(2008), I could thaw it out but would freeze again at night. It was the end of the season for us so I parked the van until Spring. About a month after starting to drive it again the cable broke while I was running errands one day. I had to drive home with a rope tied between the throttle and drivers armrest.

syncrodoka Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Quote: I had to drive home with a rope tied between the throttle and drivers armrest.
VW mechanic engineering at it's finest! 8)

pjrae Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:36 pm

I thought the hardest part about replacing my syncro throttle cable was loosening the bellhousing bolt that holds the bracket and also threading it properly between the gas tank and the starter motor. I don't have huge hands, but it was a super squeeze to route it through the bracket and insert the retaining clip without dropping it into the black hole. I think I taped a piece of spare wire to the throttle body end of the old cable when I pulled it out under the van and then used that like a fishtape to pull the new one through the labyrinth and back up. Maybe it's supposed to be as easy as the previous posters said, but I hope this helps anyway :wink:

Syncronicity Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 am

I replaced the throttle cable in the 87 Syncro. The steel cable was frayed very badly where it hooks to the pedal, the rubber bellows was dry rotted and falling apart and it was open to the weather where it bolted to the frame at the plastic bracket. All of these allowed a lot of moisture to get between the plastic sheath and the steel cable which would freeze up in cold weather. It was pretty straightforward. A couple of tips. 1. Find a great guy with a lift in his garage. 2. Cut the cable behind the plastic frame bracket. Tape the new cable to the old and have someone push from below while you pull from the engine compartment. 3. Don't drop the snap ring holding the cable to the steel bracket in the engine compartment. It was pretty easy job, and the cable I ordered from Vancafe.com worked great. Thanks for all of your tips and info.