TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 ignition switch available ? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
finnlndr Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:29 am

I am a newbe but I think I found a source for the '71 ignition switch. Could the experts take a look at the hyperlink and tell me if indeed that is a '71 switch? Thanks to all of you,
Rodney

http://www.autohausaz.com

Mike Fisher Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:39 am

PM sent.

Russ Wolfe Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:11 pm

No, according to the picture and the part number, that is not a 1971 T-3 ignition switch.
That is a 1971 Bug ignition switch.

finnlndr Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:44 pm

well, I entered 1971-vw-sqbk-ignition parts-ignition switch and it gave me the part # 111905865F

Is is wrong?

norcalmike Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 pm

yes its wrong

dirtsandwich Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:19 pm

the 71 ignition switch is a one year only, and nobody reproduces it.

finnlndr Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 am

This came from Partsgeek.com they said it was the correct switch. Well, are they nuts?

Thanx, Rodney

Mike Fisher Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:53 am

Russ Wolfe is a Factory Trained VW Mechanic with 40 years experience! He's seen/done it All, so WE don't argue with him! :wink:

finnlndr Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am

I sure would not argue with him. From reading a zillion threads, it's pretty clear he is one of the "go to" guys. I am quite sure I will be asking a lot of questions over the next year or so....Sure wish I had a picture of what the real switch looks like.

Thanx Guys, Rodney

KTPhil Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:45 am

The '71 T3 switch has an extra wire earlier cars lacked, which is the so-called "x-wire" that makes the headlights turn off with the ignition key removed. See:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_71.jpg

Also, there are short pigtails on the wires, which are then encapsulated in a snap-together connector housing.

Other years lack one or both of these attributes. I'm not sure the geometry allows another year to fit, if for example you were to rewire the headlights (use another headlight switch, etc) to make do with the older ignition switch.

I am wondering if it is possible to take your old electrical housing, gut it, and use parts from other years to mock up the right setup. A lot of parts and work, evenif it CAN be done!

Russ Wolfe Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 am

The switch they are showing is for 1972 and up.
It is shown as a 111 905865 K (type 1 part number).
The 71 type 3 part number is 311 905 865B. From Chassis # 311 2000 001 to 311 2500 000, which 1971 only.

finnlndr Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:08 pm

thanks KTphil and Russ, Mike and everyone else. You guys must grow tired of us newbe's asking the same questions over and over, and, over a course of several years.

I will try to adjust the operation of the switch with the parts I have. There is always a push button option, I guess.

Thanx Again,
Rodney

drummerboycr Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Humm..

in this site are nothing for Notchback!!

in the VW models parts list only show the Fastbacks and Squarebacks!!

Russ Wolfe Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Except for the body, Notchback is basically the same as a fastback. They are both 311 models.

voeltzwagen Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm gonna chime in too...

that is the switch that came with my car in a box of spare parts...

It doesn't work.

But now that I go back and read the thread, sounds like you know that.

I did the push button alternative. Its a temporary thing until I decide if I want to replace the switch. It does still require the key to be turned to the "on" position, so no one can just hop in my car and start it up. Then again, most of the people don't know it has to be in neutral as well. :)

Bobnotch Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:07 am

drummerboycr wrote: Humm..

in this site are nothing for Notchback!!

in the VW models parts list only show the Fastbacks and Squarebacks!!

That's because Notchbacks weren't officailly imported into the USA. They are ALL gray market cars (meaning a private citizen brought them in).

But IF you really need a 71 only switch, contact Jim adney, as I think he's still got a couple left.

blankmange Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:12 am

you could always swap the column for a later one, giving you a wider selection of options as far as the ignition switch goes...

Bobnotch Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:39 am

blankmange wrote: you could always swap the column for a later one, giving you a wider selection of options as far as the ignition switch goes...

Yeah, I should probably do that to my 65 Notch. When I converted the car to 12 volt, I mistakenly used a 71 column in it (should have used a 69-70 unit), leaving me with one of those 1 year only ignition switches in it. My screw up, as I built the car for easy access to any parts I may need in the future (like IF I had a problem on a road trip). Fortunately it's been a non-issue. :D

blankmange Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 am

Bobnotch wrote: blankmange wrote: you could always swap the column for a later one, giving you a wider selection of options as far as the ignition switch goes...

Yeah, I should probably do that to my 65 Notch. When I converted the car to 12 volt, I mistakenly used a 71 column in it (should have used a 69-70 unit), leaving me with one of those 1 year only ignition switches in it. My screw up, as I built the car for easy access to any parts I may need in the future (like IF I had a problem on a road trip). Fortunately it's been a non-issue. :D

so far, so good then, Bob...

Mike Fisher Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 am

My 71 has the early steering wheel with half chrome horn ring. My 72 has the plastic horn cover. So 71 was the last early steering wheel? The ignition switch works, but it has a 3 way toggle switch in the dash for turn signals. :x