TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: idle running high
Dewie Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:31 am

Have had some issues with my 1984 1.9lt Westy, I'm not sure if its the gas or what but the motor idles at or about 2000 to 3000 rpm. I've read posts to replace a piece on the 2.1lt but don't think this pertains to the 1.9lt as it isn't listed as a part for the 1984. Maybe the oxygen sensor? any help would be appreciated.

jacob. Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Dewie wrote: Have had some issues with my 1984 1.9lt Westy, I'm not sure if its the gas or what but the motor idles at or about 2000 to 3000 rpm. I've read posts to replace a piece on the 2.1lt but don't think this pertains to the 1.9lt as it isn't listed as a part for the 1984. Maybe the oxygen sensor? any help would be appreciated.

You might want to try adjusting the TPS. Page 24.50 in your bentley. 2 switches on top of the throttle body.

Also, a search for high idle returned this page of results:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Hours of reading there.

Dewie Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 am

That bullet looking thing that has the throttle cable coming out of it was stuck out. I popped it back into place and it runs great, like it should. What is the assembly called that the throttle cable comes out of? And where can you find parts for the thing?

jacob. Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 am

Dewie wrote: That bullet looking thing that has the throttle cable coming out of it was stuck out. I popped it back into place and it runs great, like it should. What is the assembly called that the throttle cable comes out of? And where can you find parts for the thing?

The throttle body?

http://www.frankcondelli.com/tb.htm

Dewie Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:03 am

no not that, the throttle cable comes out of a bullet shaped friggin thing by the left tail light. It has wires going into the back of it and the throttle cable coming from it to the throttle. I have looked at my manual and to be honest I can't figure what the heck it is called. I can't even find the cable to buy for it and have added wire to keep mine at the right length. It is by the coolant expansion tank. Maybe that helps?

ajdenette Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 am

Does your van have cruse controll or posibly had cruse controll at some point?

Dewie Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

I have looked all over in the Bentley manual for the part and can't seem to find it. My picture posting ability is not good. Behind the left rear tail light beside the coolant expansion tank is the part I am talking about, it is shaped like the top of a motar round, looks like a bullet and has a cable that comes out of it to the throttle. The back side of it has wires going into it four or five. I think the bus is originally from Canada but I do not see any cruise control on it?