TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why does my engine hesitates half a second from start?
SyncroChrick Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:19 pm

I read the answer somewhere on this forum but can't find it right now - I am pretty sure it's a common problem.

When I first start driving (warm engine) the engine kind of hesitate for a split second. That happens from idle when I am in first gear and start pushing the accelerator. I think it had something to do with some spring adjustment or something similar - can't remember exactly.

Can one of the guru read my mind on this and offer some answer?

thank you so much!

Christian

Captain Pike Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:29 pm

TPS
List your year, Please.
you have a 2.1

SyncroChrick Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm

yes Westy Syncro 1986 stock 2.1

Captain Pike Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Throttle position sensor. This has been covered enough times to bury Pompeii and Herculaneum.
search " 2.1 throttle position sensor "

Dogpilot Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Why not, I'll post this again for the hundredth time:
I would check and adjust the Throttle Switch. They get old, sticky and the cam gets dirty and worn. All in all it is a crappy design. When the switch is closed it wants to force the engine to idle, until 3,000 RPM's is reached. Make the engine seem to bog down.

So check your Throttle Switch thusly:
A new one can be had from various online sources like:
http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1870592475
Adjust it so:
Here is a quick run down on what to do:

SyncroChrick Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 pm

thank you so much for writing it down again just for me. I feel special.

Captain Pike Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 pm

SyncroChrick wrote: thank you so much for writing it down again just for me. I feel special.
You should :P

deprivation Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Checking your TPS s the first step, for sure. As well as everything else along the food chain: timing, 02 sensor, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, plug gaps, and so on. I had this problem for a long time, even after checking, cleaning, replacing EVERYTHING and I cured it by opening the CO adjust screw on the AFM one or two turns. I got the idea from a fellow Sambanist. I have no idea why this cured the hesitation but it did.

Consider this bit of advice as a last resort.