TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Whats with the sticking
RCB Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 am

What do youz guys think the problems are with the Toyotas gas pedal sticking. I realize this is not a Vanagon type of question but considering that some of our vans have this issue once in awhile I thought it OK to ask.

If this posting gets deleated..Id understand.

jacob. Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 am

Theres alread a thread in off topic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396833

RCB Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am

jacob. wrote: Theres alread a thread in off topic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396833

Yer correct..I had no idea that an "off topic" forum existed.

jacob. Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:06 am

RCB wrote:

Is that sarcasm that I'm not detecting, or no? If not, glad to inform You. Strange after nearlY 1200 posts You didn't know about it. Oh well. :)

PDXWesty Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 am

I didn't know there was an off topic forum either.

Anyway, sometimes carpet mats can get pushed up and cause the gas pedal to stick.

RCB Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:13 am

jacob. wrote: RCB wrote:

Is that sarcasm that I'm not detecting, or no? If not, glad to inform You. Strange after nearlY 1200 posts You didn't know about it. Oh well. :)

Not at all !!! No sarcasm on my part, after you posted, I went to the forums and found it on the very bottom of the list.

I mostly lurk on the Vanagon and the parts forum but now I have another one to check out.

I think you missunderstood my reply....alls good.

hiram6 Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:10 am

I'm with the others on this one. I only come to this forum on the Samba, with an occasional glance over at the Vanagon parts classifieds.

Didn't know there was an off-topic forum.

jacob. Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18 am

hiram6 wrote: I'm with the others on this one. I only come to this forum on the Samba, with an occasional glance over at the Vanagon parts classifieds.

Didn't know their was an off-topic forum.

I guess I lead a lot more boring life then some other people. I have been in all the sections on this site.

MarkWard Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 am

Me too. I was working at the Audi dealer in the mid eighties with the first runaway Audi's were reported. 60 minutes did a story on it. They took an Audi 5000 added a hydraulic pump and were able to get the gas pedal to move down, by applying hydaulic pressure externally to the automatic. Most likely plumbed it into the kick down piston area of the valve body. Audi implemented a recall, not to fix a problem, but to add a shift lock to teach people where the brake pedal was. It was found that most accidents happened to new drivers, mostly women under 5'3 backing up. I don't know about the Toyota, but everyone with an Audi that had been in a wreck jumped on the posesed Audi bandwagon. Bottom line the brakes were stronger than the engine and automatic. There would be no way that the engine could overpower the brakes. The complaint was the harder they pressed the brake pedal, the faster the car went. Without reading Toyota's troubles, I imagine much of the problem is not physical, but people seeking free repair bills after an accident.

thummmper Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am

does it have a throttle cable? I have a 92 toy truck and its injector seals leaked causing it to idle rough. spray berryman carb spray on the linkage/cable area and check all your vacuum lines-- make sure they are young and supple.... todd

just answer the question counselor!

joetiger Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 pm

rsxsr wrote: Me too. I was working at the Audi dealer in the mid eighties with the first runaway Audi's were reported. 60 minutes did a story on it. They took an Audi 5000 added a hydraulic pump and were able to get the gas pedal to move down, by applying hydaulic pressure externally to the automatic. Most likely plumbed it into the kick down piston area of the valve body. Audi implemented a recall, not to fix a problem, but to add a shift lock to teach people where the brake pedal was. It was found that most accidents happened to new drivers, mostly women under 5'3 backing up. I don't know about the Toyota, but everyone with an Audi that had been in a wreck jumped on the posesed Audi bandwagon. Bottom line the brakes were stronger than the engine and automatic. There would be no way that the engine could overpower the brakes. The complaint was the harder they pressed the brake pedal, the faster the car went. Without reading Toyota's troubles, I imagine much of the problem is not physical, but people seeking free repair bills after an accident.

I remember seeing that 60 minutes. An Episcopal priest ran over his son in their garage. He received a letter from Audi stating that it was not the fault of vehicle. Granted, the piece was sensationalistic but it certainly made Audi look evil.

I wonder if that's why you can get a 5000 for around $300 now?

MarkWard Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Joe, I have not watched 60 minutes since. Audi, never did go after 60 minutes for rigging the car, but hoped in time the bad PR would go away. My wife has a 99 Ford Explorer. It came with the "killer" firestone tires. We ran those tires for 60K plus before taking advantage of the recall for a free set of tires. We still have the Explorer after "its" bad press, it became worthless. I did own an 86 Audi 5000 turbo with a 5 speed. It was loaded with options for that era and I paid $3500 for it. It was 30K new back then. I eventually stopped working on Audis when I had my shop. Every thing that broke cost a minimum of $300 to fix. That was a lot of money back then. I felt like a crook calling with estimates. Aside from the bad press, the Audi 5000 was a great car as was the Ford Explorer. I don't like the Explorer, but my wife does and it has almost 200K on it.

danfromsyr Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm

I drive a few audi 5000 and they all come to me with the cruise control disconnected. the cruise is the SAME as in all VWs of the era.
but it appears the owners were more content when the Cruise was disabled.

Cadillacs have this problem too occasionally, hear of one screaming thru a crowd of people at a farmer's market.. drivers always state they pressed the brakes as hard as they could while the car careened outta control :roll:

only runaway I've ever experianced is when my VW Diesel sucks in it's own motoroil... man that's a hecka ride. and destructive to the engine as well. but 48hp suddenly becomes a smoke screen w/200hp. likely an exageration, but it's certaily more then double.

Dan in NY

DAIZEE Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:11 pm

I knew there was an off VW subject forum and I went back and looked and couldn't find the sticking accelerator thread so I'm back here.

My present 85 Westie which is in excellent condition has a 'difficult' accelerator pedal. It sticks when I'm just starting to accelerate and then I have to push it harder and I race forward. Look and feel silly and I know its probably costing me gas mileage. Any ideas on lubricating the actual metal shaft.

Had a new 80 Ford Sport automatic model in 80 and once accelerated into the most left passing lane on 401 and the bl**** thing took off at 100 miles an hour and I couldn't kick it down so made it thru the traffic off to the right shoulder and thru it into park. It was scarey and that same car would often stall when I'd accelerate at a green lite. Never owned a Ford since.

So need some input on my sticky to accelerate Westy pedal. :shock: :?:

joetiger Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm

rsxsr wrote: Joe, I have not watched 60 minutes since.

I'm not a fan either. They could basically pick any product, or more specifically any car, and find a reason why it's dangerous to consumers. I remember that story being heart wrenching, certainly by design and with bad intentions, but heart wrenching nonetheless.

I dated a girl who had a 5000. With the exception of a leaky sunroof (a constant liability in South Louisiana) it was a very fun car to drive.

Regarding the Vanagon accelerator, the rod on mine came unsnapped from the pedal a few weeks ago; I just hit it weird with the side of my foot.
Like a doofus, my initial reaction was to floor it in an attempt to reconnect it. Didn't work! I had to pull out of traffic and get down there and snap it back in.