TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: outside driver's mirror fatique?
DAIZEE Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Bought 84 Westy, well taken care of, in late Oct and went on a 4000 mile trip thru States. I have what I believe to be the original mirrors which stand pretty tall rather than wide. After a few days doing 70 mph the mirror could not hold its position. Basically plastic over metal rotating ball. Have taken it off to tighten but can not sustain itself. Tried glue, tape to no lasting avail. Right now I've sorta rigged it with black electric tape halter which holds it still but not in right place.

I see Go Westy has these mirrors for what seems to be a reasonable price. I'm thinking of replacing both sides with something different or should I stay with OEM mirrors. I certainly like the style of these but I need something that I can count on and adjust easily. I'm thinking a moveable mirror inside a permanent housing may be more stable? Any input?

Could anyone please tell me what "sticky" and "syncro" mean. Remember I'm a newbee here and recent buyer of Westy.

PDXWesty Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Take a look at this to fix your mirrors. No need for new ones.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161648&highlight=floppy+mirror

Simply put, a Syncro is a vanagon with all wheel drive.

A sticky is a thread that has information that is used over and over again. Take a look at this link for stickies. Look at the top of the forum page too.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151300

RCB Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:22 pm

A "stickey" could be considered a good to remember posting and a "stickey" can be viewed over and over without having to search endlessley for what is considered a ..good to remember post.

Syncro is where your money goes, as in "down the sink", just kidding all you Syncro owners....just kidding. An owner of a Syncro will chime in with an exact definition.

A few of the aftermarket side mirrors will wear out real quick and you will be in the same position your in now.

Try and locate a good used one or try the Hagus brand mirrors..I think they were the OE manufacturer.Browse the PARTS section here on The Samba.
Bus Depot is a real good place to look for new parts for our vehicles, Go-Westy is OK too but shop around and compare prices and delivery costs...those pesky extras add up.

Van Cafe is another good source and ya get a bonus when you place an order with them..yum, yum,yum.hint hint hint :D

delta-vanagon Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm

I have used power mirors on my 86, that had manual mirrors before. I don't have any power to them, they work very well as manual and they don't sag as the manuals do. Someday I might add power to them, I grabbed the switches when I pulled them in a junkyard, but since I am the only driver, I don't need them to move very much.

DAIZEE Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I love this place. So much positive vibes and lots of feedback and I only registered a few hours ago. Will look at the mirror posts. I pulled an electrical set off a bronco but took the electrical part out. I'm stalling putting them on until I know more about it. Again THANKS for all the positive input. This site ROCKS! 8) Zee

EL31415 Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 pm

You can get a pair shipped to you for same price as only one from gowesty
Check ebay UK

But you cannot beat gowesty service and knowledge so support gowesty business if you can afford to

Kburns737 Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Don't buy a new pair when you can fix your old set up better than new. That thread posted with the rubber washer modification is genius, its incredible how well they work afterwards and how easy it is to take care of. Take the time to rehab your set, don't throw a pair of bronco mirrors on there. Save the money you'd spend on a new set and use it for something that your van actually needs to operate safely. Take an hour, enjoy a couple cold brews and the satisfaction of fixing something on the van yourself and saving a few bucks.

Kerry

DAIZEE Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:41 pm

yes you are absolutely correct about the washer thread. I love it and so simple, even I should be able to do that. The picture helps too. Again thanks all of you for this feedback. Anyone need some really good Bronco mirrors? :)

I'd like to keep my Westy authentic. I consider it an investment and I'm pretty proud of it. Gets lots of stares and even some people approach me. I think most people are confused because it should look older but it's something like me - doesn't show its age :lol: I get funny looks when I have to slide down from the passenger seat to the ground too. Zee

Busdepot Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 am

Quote: I have what I believe to be the original mirrors which stand pretty tall rather than wide. After a few days doing 70 mph the mirror could not hold its position. ... I see Go Westy has these mirrors for what seems to be a reasonable price. I'm thinking of replacing both sides with something different or should I stay with OEM mirrors?

There are two suppliers of the manual Vanagon mirrors - Hagus of Germany, and an off-brand supplier whose mirrors are sold under various names. The difference between the two is immediately apparent; the generic weighs half as much and the mirror surface is often slightly rippled. That said, even the German ones will get floppy again over time, as it is intrinsic in the design. You can tighten the nut periodically to stave this off (but don't tighten it too much or the shaft will snap!).

One difference, however, is price. Our $29 German Hagus mirrors are the same as the ones GoWesty sells for $43. That's a 30% savings. We also offer the same mirror with convex glass for $49. For some reason VW didn't offer the convex ones in the U.S. but they are a worthwhile improvement as they improve visibility when passing. See http://busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=58&prodgroup=10300 for both options.

A reminder that we are still donating 25% of our net profits to Haiti earthquake relief through the end of the month. So you can save money and save lives - win/win!

As for the power mirrors from later Vanagons, they will fit with minor modification, and they don't get floppy, so they are an option if you can find them used. They were about $500 each new, so even used they're typically much pricier than new manual ones. (I may have a used set lying around - pm me .)

RCB Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:35 am

Greetings Ron and thanks for chiming in. Your absolutely correct about the convex mirrors. Great option and Im glad you had them, not many parts houses even carry them.