TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Quiet pack - what year did they come out?
bus guy Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Don't know if this is in the right forum and I tried searching, but need to know if quiet packs were around in 69/70 as building a single port motor for my '66 Bus with empi ram induction kit and some pre 70 stuff?

glutamodo Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Well, there is a 1965 Speedwell Catalog in the Archives under Accessories Brochures which has this entry:

And then in the old 1970-vintage "how to hot-rod VW engines" they had these shown:

bus guy Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 am

OK, thanks. By the look of those glass packs I am guessing the qp didn't arrive till later, but just wanted to find out an approx year.

glutamodo Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 am

Yeah, pretty small mufflers on those. In the last couple pages of my Photo Gallery I have the VW pages out of a 1973 JC Whitney catalog and none of the mufflers shown there really look any bigger than the ones shown above.

AlteWagen Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm

My uncle had a 59 sedan from 62-67. Stock 36hp and all. The only mods were rear wheels "inside out" and a regular header with glass pack. I saw an old pic once and the glass pack looked white (b/w pic). He said the thing to do was to paint the glass pack bright orange or day glow orange, so the pack looked "red hot". Would carry extra paint to re apply at "shows"

ALB Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm

bus guy wrote: Don't know if this is in the right forum and I tried searching, but need to know if quiet packs were around in 69/70 as building a single port motor for my '66 Bus with empi ram induction kit and some pre 70 stuff?

I remember seeing an old Hot VW's article with Gene Berg demonstrating the first header/quiet pack combo. I think it was 1974 or '75. While a glass pack might be period correct, you'd still be losing hp by running one.

glutamodo Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 pm

I thought I'd mentiont his - I recently got a couple of 1978 Whitney catalogs and find that by them, they were selling them too. Just finished scanning and putting them in my Gallery (just the VW parts) - the page with that muffler is this one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/652557.jpg