TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: trans stuck in gear Goto page 1, 2  Next
ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:18 pm

i have a 1970 vw bus tin top pick it up last summer, it has a 1600 dual port from 71. the trans is stuck in gear. when i jack up the right rear tire and spin it the trans axle spins. i though brakes were frozen but there not.
any advice how to get it out of gear? or do i need to drop the engine and trans. i have not started the engine yet thanks Rico

Lucas Grams Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:38 pm

So you have a new bus in the driveway, and haven't done anything with it yet? How does the stick feel when you move it? Sloppy, or stuck? Does the engine turn by hand if you grasp the pulley and belt to turn it?

ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:45 pm

the pulley turns really free and easy, the stick moves back and forth and all the gears, i pick up the bus jan 2 so its only been here a month, i am working on a 76 westy also

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Quote: the pulley turns really free and easy
Quote: the trans is stuck in gear. when i jack up the right rear tire and spin it the trans axle spins.

so the problem is the car won't roll but the engine will turn ok?

ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:10 pm

yes that is the problem and im afraid when i go to start it it will lung forward

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:26 pm

look up underneath to be sure the coupling going into the trans nosecone is working and that the grub screw didn't come loose. If the shaft going into the nose cone is moving normally and the trans is not going into neutral then the trans has to come out.

Desertbusman Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Doesn't seem like your symptoms and what you say add up. With only one rear wheel off the ground it will spin if it is in neutral. But not if it is in gear. You can turn the engine pulley with both wheels on the ground so it's not in gear. You can move the shifter thru all the positions and nothing changes in the back suggests a bad rear coupler preventing you from shifting it into any gear.
But the bus won't roll? If you jack up the other rear wheel does it turn? If you jack up the front do the front wheels turn? When you try to push it can you see the engine pulley jerking? What does the clutch pedal feel like. Can you push the bus with the clutch pedal pushed in? Did you put anything in front of the tires to keep it from rolling. If you don't get anything resolved by then you could unbolt the CV's fron the trans and confirm the bus rolls.

ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 pm

the right wheel will spin and i see the axle spinning the left wheel will not move

Lucas Grams Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:54 pm

The left wheel won't spin. Sounds like that drum should be removed and the interior inspected. Try putting it in gear and then going back to the engine and see if the pulley moves freely still. If you find resistance... Maybe no trans linkage issues. Or look at the nose cone coupler like others intelligently suggested.

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:01 pm

put the bus in what you think is neutral, put a chock under the opposite wheels, Jack up one wheel at a time and verify that it will spin. Do all 4 wheels spin freely?

ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

all 3 wheels spin except the left rear, which i think is the brakes on that wheel, the right rear will turn but the cv axle to the trans axle is spinning to
it will not spin freely

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:13 pm

no disrespect - I am now confused. When you turn the right rear, the CV joint and axle on that same side should turn in neutral. When you jack up the left rear it should do the same if you are in neutral. If the left rear won't spin ever then you don't have a trans problem, you probably have a frozen e-brake cable on that side.

Desertbusman Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Step back away from it. Carefully read this whole topic and think about it. Why do you think it won't shift out of gear? Why do you think it is in gear? You said brakes arn't frozen but it seems like the left rear probably is frozen. Don't understand about an axle spinning but not freely. Which axle, left or right? If you don't resolve it fairly quickly unbolt both side CV's at the trans and see what happens, if it will roll.

ricobiker Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:32 pm

sg kent u answered my questions if the cv joint turns on the right side then the trans is in neutral. because the engine turns freely, the left is frozen so it is a brake issue than u so much Rico

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Thank Desertbusman - he is the one who picked up on it first :)

bigbore Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Iam just going to sit and watch if you don't mind. becouse as SGkent has said Iam confused.

SGKent Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm

bigbore wrote: Iam just going to sit and watch if you don't mind. becouse as SGkent has said Iam confused.
It is Ok - we won't hold it against you. 8)

DBM said Quote: With only one rear wheel off the ground it will spin if it is in neutral

Desertbusman Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Maybe the P.O's confusion rubbed off on all of us. :lol:

bigbore Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

The older I get the easyer it is to get this way. :?: :?

ricobiker Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:24 am

desertbusman thanks some times u need to listen and think and the answer comes to u Rico