TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Aux heater cut-off valve setup photos?
deprivation Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 pm

Would someone(s) please post pictures of your aux heater cut-off valve intallation? I know a few people here have installed them so as to completely cut off water flow to the front heater core. I had a look at the territory this morning when I was adjusting my neutral-start/backup switch. Kinda tight in there. I can't quite see how this would work.

Anyway, photos if ya got 'em, por favor.

Oh - MY 1,000TH POST! Do I win something?

deprivation Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 am

Really? Nuttin'?

Vanagon Nut Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:06 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/HeatControlValveAftermarket#

I didn't want to cut near new stock molded hoses (they're pricey IIRC) so installed valve "outside" near the rad fan as per stock location for an '85.

Next time, I'd swap a coupler in place of stock valve and install new valve somewhere at rear of vehicle. Easier to get at.

Some MY's have stock valve in the cab.

Search crazyvwman posts. (Mark) IIRC he commented on the WBX valves. Seems there was a run a while back of poorly made ones. i.e. my new one was faulty. It leaked (albeit very slowly) very soon.

The right way is to use stock parts IMO, but this works fine for my needs. I can leave valve open well into late Spring and have left it open during the Summer. Mostly because the heat exchange box was rebuilt and seals well.