TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Battery Lifter Page: 1, 2  Next
Perales Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Has anyone tried one of these for removing and installing the battery? Seems like a great tool to save on knuckle tissue.

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-repair/auto-repair/8261687-battery-carrier?keyword=battery

1621 Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Seems like it could work.

I've had good success using a long velcro strap around the batteries as a handle. Just wrap one or two around the battery before dropping it in and it makes an effective handle for lifting in and out. Buy a pack of them at home depot and have a couple extra to use elsewhere in the van.

deprivation Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Wow! That thing is a beast!

I used a wire coathanger to remove my battery. I do not recommend this.
_

chimivee Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Perales wrote: Has anyone tried one of these for removing and installing the battery? Seems like a great tool to save on knuckle tissue.
Is there even enough room to get that tool in there and clamped? I dunno.

The straps that grab on to the battery posts are cheap at your FLAPS and work well enough (although because the posts aren't centered, it doesn't hold the battery totally straight)

ZimZam Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm kinda diggin' on what 1621 put up. Simple, clean, and inexpensive. Is that your :snipersmile: MOS?

1621 Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm

ZimZam wrote: I'm kinda diggin' on what 1621 put up. Simple, clean, and inexpensive. Is that your :snipersmile: MOS?

Nope - 0302 Marine Infantry Officer.

Semper Fi!

Alaric.H Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 pm

deprivation wrote: Wow! That thing is a beast!

_
Is that what the long scar across the palm of your hand is about.

Tom Powell Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 pm

the one chimivee recommended is the best

the ice block lifter may slip and spill the battery while you are carrying it

the chimivee lifter will hold the battery by one post even if the other slips off
the best way to use it is to put it on then press the lockers into place before lifting

a strap under the battery during installation will work well if it is through the c.g.
if not the battery will tip and may spill

any lifter that attaches above the c.g. is better than a dynamically unbalanced lifter (below the c.g)

a vise grip on each post will work, but there is the risk of it pivoting and contacting the other post and becoming too hot to move

Aloha
tp

deprivation Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Alaric.H wrote: Is that what the long scar across the palm of your hand is about.
Nope, that's a whole other story.

VDubTech Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Tom Powell wrote: the ice block lifter may slip and spill the battery while you are carrying it

That isn't an ice block lifter, it's a tool to carry batteries around. Its very design is such that a battery won't slip out of it, which is why all of the battery manufacturers and wholesalers use them when moving product around.

syncrodoka Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Yup the first tool is a official type battery carrier.
What about one of these?
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-330347-bc850a.aspx

?Waldo? Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 pm

:arrow:

?Waldo? Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 pm

chimivee wrote: The straps that grab on to the battery posts are cheap at your FLAPS and work well enough (although because the posts aren't centered, it doesn't hold the battery totally straight)

I've seen a post pull out of a battery. I sure wouldn't want that to happen while I was lifting a battery out of the battery box in a vanagon. It would make one very nasty mess.

John Sullivan Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 pm

I use an old hockey skate lace. Works great. Wrap around twice drop the battery in and just leave the lace there. Cheap and effective.

Perales Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 am

syncrodoka wrote: Yup the first tool is a official type battery carrier.
What about one of these?
http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-330347-bc850a.aspx
The MacTools lifter will not slip into the tight space where the battery is housed. I am pretty sure that the one I posted at the beginning will fit.
The price is the same for both. About $15

VWhiker Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:19 pm

I removed the old one with vise grips on each terminal--and wearing gloves and goggles! Of course that battery was pretty dead.

For the new one I lowered it in with a bungee strap, metal hooks removed. Then I zip-tied the loose ends together. It will stay in there where it awaits the next time.

Thanks for pointing out the risk of tipping and the mess that could cause.

James 93SLC Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Yep, we use these at work everyday. Properly adjusted they grab the battery very securely. Only issue I ever have is lifting a battery without any type of lip on the top edge that might allow the pads to slide past.

Perales wrote: Has anyone tried one of these for removing and installing the battery? Seems like a great tool to save on knuckle tissue.

http://www.princessauto.com/tools/auto-repair/auto-repair/8261687-battery-carrier?keyword=battery

Williamtaylor33 Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

The battery i got has a strap built in. I choose that battery after removing the old one and busting my knuckles

syncrodoka Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:45 pm

All 3 of my batteries have handles, but only one fits in the battery compartment with the lid closed :?

BlackDogVan Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:57 pm

deprivation wrote: Wow! That thing is a beast!

_

I almost lost my right eye to that method!!!