TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ball joint trailing arms mods? Goto page 1, 2  Next
earthquake Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 pm

OK, crazy Idea in the shower,
Has anybody ever thought about heating the arms at the ball joint end and bending them a few degrees so they will drop a little further so the front of the car will raise a couple of inches, you would still have the amount of travel it would just be in a different part of the arc. I'm thinking about some diffrent ideas for B/J front ends because some people with late modle cars might not want to change out frame heads. Has any any body thought about making longer arms and using diffrent ball joints to get more travel.

Casey

Nicksan Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I thought there was a company that makes raised BJ spindles?
Blindchicken maybe?

tanner_122 Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm

earthquake wrote: OK, crazy Idea in the shower,
Has anybody ever thought about heating the arms at the ball joint end and bending them a few degrees so they will drop a little further so the front of the car will raise a couple of inches, you would still have the amount of travel it would just be in a different part of the arc. I'm thinking about some diffrent ideas for B/J front ends because some people with late modle cars might not want to change out frame heads. Has any any body thought about making longer arms and using diffrent ball joints to get more travel.

Casey

x2 i dont want to chage the frame head on my new baja i think longer trailing arms and a bigger beam would be bad a$$ for a bj car
but no one makes them id just like longer arms

tanner_122 Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 pm

i just had a thought
those kits that u by for lp arms to lower the sock mount anout an inch could u possibly use that on a bj arm? :-k

Mal evolent Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:59 pm

if you make the arms longer you would have to make them wider too. tire runs pretty close to the wheelwell

the spindle that raises the car doesn't increase the travel.

I''m thinking make link pin spindles with ball joint spacing and arms to match. but I don't have a way to actually do that.

tanner_122 Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

Mal evolent wrote: if you make the arms longer you would have to make them wider too. tire runs pretty close to the wheelwell

the spindle that raises the car doesn't increase the travel.

I''m thinking make link pin spindles with ball joint spacing and arms to match. but I don't have a way to actually do that.

good idea!!
i was just in my shopw wih a spare bj beam thinking like a mad scientist if i can relocate the shock mounts for longer shocks? can this be done or have i finally gone insane? :twisted: :twisted:

RGR Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 pm

The arm not the problem its the balljoint.

rubsterob Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:37 pm

This might also sound completely stupid but why can't you take link pin trailing arms and spindles and throw them on a BJ beam?

veeweeman Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:04 pm

DaJaVu? :roll:

Russ Wolfe Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Tube spacing is different, so therefore all the angles are different.

rubsterob Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:15 pm

I understand the tube spacing is differant but the angles I guess I didn't really think it through but it makes total since.

If some one where to make the spindles thinner to get the angle right would it work? Or is the diameter of the... The umm inner part of the arm (part that goes in to the beam) differant?

rubsterob Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Wait ithink I might have that backwords the link pin beam is thinner right?

So then some one make the spindles wider

bajahucks Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:48 pm

tanner_122 wrote: i just had a thought
those kits that u by for lp arms to lower the sock mount anout an inch could u possibly use that on a bj arm? :-k

thats what i did on my car. i bought the 10" shock tower and modified it to work on the b/j beam. and the shock ounts for the arms worked great.

peterd3060 Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I added to my baja an 8 inch over beam and added 3 inch lifted spindles, springs are set at stock so the ball joints are not at severe angles ( it also is as high as my old fubar stock cranked to the max cut and turned beam) sitting at stock level!! it ,also has 4 adjusters to turn the front up another 2 or 3 inches. I really like how it looks and i dont have to worry bout tires rubbing the pan anymore

dustymojave Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:00 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: Tube spacing is different, so therefore all the angles are different.

Ahemmm....
I'll state this again...It starts to look like comments on Baja Super Beetles...

It actually works quite well Russ. The wider spacing of the BJ beam than the LP results in the arms being more parallel than stock which results in reduced Caster change through the suspension travel. With an offroad rack for steering producing very little bump steer and no camber or caster change, things are very consistent with this setup. Tweeds used to make arms for the conversion from BJ arms with fabricated tube arms and ends to take linkpins.

AZ-BUG Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 am

RGR wrote: The arm not the problem its the balljoint.

You are correct, the limiting factor is the angle of operation of the ball joints. That being said, longer arms operating at the same angles will give you more travel (same principle as wider trailing arms in the rear will allow more travel for a given max CV angle). I haven't done the math, but you would probably pick-up a couple of inches of travel with 4" longer arms. This would of course require pushing the beam forward for clearance.

baja5 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 am

I really think that if yougor rid of the ball joints and custom built a spindle with uniballs, upper and lower, it could be a bolt on to a BJ beam that could net you in the neighborhood of 10 inches or so. The big issue seems to be the cost factor. Most guys that can't afford to do the link pin swap aren't in a position to spend 6 or 7 hundred bucks for a set of arms and spindles the would work. Just a thought, Mabye a poll would work.

bdkw1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 pm

dustymojave wrote: It actually works quite well Russ. The wider spacing of the BJ beam than the LP results in the arms being more parallel than stock which results in reduced Caster change through the suspension travel. With an offroad rack for steering producing very little bump steer and no camber or caster change, things are very consistent with this setup. Tweeds used to make arms for the conversion from BJ arms with fabricated tube arms and ends to take linkpins.

Didn't they used to call that a parallel beam set-up or somthing like that?

It's a really old trick for getting rid of some of the nasty geometery on a stock LP beam.........

chubby53 Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:32 pm

the beam i used on my old baja was a ball joint beam with link pin arms. seemed to work ok for me. didn't have it built for a lot of travel though. can't remember where i got it from though.

motelcambodia Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

dustymojave wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Tube spacing is different, so therefore all the angles are different.

Ahemmm....
I'll state this again...It starts to look like comments on Baja Super Beetles...

It actually works quite well Russ. The wider spacing of the BJ beam than the LP results in the arms being more parallel than stock which results in reduced Caster change through the suspension travel. With an offroad rack for steering producing very little bump steer and no camber or caster change, things are very consistent with this setup. Tweeds used to make arms for the conversion from BJ arms with fabricated tube arms and ends to take linkpins.

Would stock LP arms fit a BJ beam with out any modification?

Im looking for somthing to beef up my street/off road baja

Would this set up also work for my 5/1600 Im trying to build also?