TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Haiti anyone?
babysnakes Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:18 pm

I may be hitting this out to left field, but I'm going to Haiti in the next few weeks. I'm a surveyor going to help work on the clean up/ rebuilding effort. Is anyone from there, going there or done any work there? Here in S. Fla there is a large Haitian community and I know a few people here. Just wondering about anyone into VWs over there. :bay_white:

Patty B. Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:39 am

Good on ya!!!!
My aunt was a missionary nun there for 10 yrs--just got back in Nov then this happened --we are happy for her safety but very saddened for her community there!!
Her house in Port au Prince was the only one on her street that survived but everything else was felled including cathedrals and churches and universities.
She just got a letter from a priest who's body was pulled out of the debris the day before it arrived -very sad.
You are doing a good thing here.
Please keep us updated on your adventures.

babysnakes Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks, but I may have chosen my words poorly. I wish I could go there for charitable reasons. However, I work for a land development company. We just got a contract to rebuild some roads and other work. In S.Fla. the construction industry has all but stopped. This project will help the firm and a few of it's employees economically. We are also required to hire one Haitian for every American we send over. So there is a small light for a few victims.It is peculiar/ironic how a catastrophe in one country can help another. :?

Patty B. Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 pm

It's terrible to say that that earthquake was probably the best thing that happened to that country---the worse thing is the deaths and devastation that goes with it.
They need every help they can get---I just hope the regular people get to profit from it to and not just be the disposable labor.

I wonder what happened to the gangsters, the hostage takers, the hijackers, the profiteers, the thieves and thugs have gone in all this---these were the day to day dangers my aunt and her people faced trying to pick up, store and deliver goods for the poor and that was in the good times!! You never knew if you were gonna get hit over the head over what was in your pocket. She'd call us while sitting on the floor of her bedroom coz there was a gun fight out in the street-hard place.
My aunt's good friend had her brother taken hostage for a couple hundred bucks and cut his throat and tossed his body in the street anyway--senseless.

Watch your back and bring your sunscreen!